Manuel Soto y Solares given by Francisco Tarrega

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
zavaletas

Manuel Soto y Solares given by Francisco Tarrega

Post by zavaletas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 am

I have been corresponding with a woman in Catalonia who has a fascinating little 1/4 scale guitar made by Manuel de Soto y Solares that has come down through her family. According to its owner, Francisco Tarrega had given it as a gift to a woman friend. Manuel de Soto y Solares as you may know was a close friend of Antonio de Torres, having their shops a few doors down from one another on the same street in Sevilla. They did business with one another, including trading parts, and building guitars. After Torres went into "retirement" in 1870, Manuel began making Torres style guitars, and seems to have been a very well thought of maker. Many flamenco players of his day used his guitars, including Juan Breva. This little guitar would seem to confirm this reputation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

MessyTendon

Re: Manuel Soto y Solares given by Francisco Tarrega

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 am

How about somre more photos, let's see the binding and rosette.

Does it have gut strings or nylons? What is the action?

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 am

That's a nice piece of history. It looks very clean, and while it's usually hard to say from a photo, it looks to me like it's in perfectly playable condition as well. I can't help but wonder how it sounds too, but I say that about every nice looking guitar I see on here!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 am

1/4 scale would put the string length around 50 cm's? I suppose it could have been tuned and used as a Terz guitar, maybe even higher. Looks to have a really nice elegant plantilla which he may well have adapted from one of the Torres smaller instruments. Bridge looks a little large in respect of instrument size but that's often the case. You have to go to a lute style or pin bridge to get things in better proportion.
Historicalguitars.

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm

As I said in the post, this guitar belongs to a woman in Barcelona, who shared a photo with me, and told me about its connection to Francisco Tarrega--so this is the only photo for the moment I have to share. Since I haven't seen it I can't speak to its sound-- but I have played a number of his guitars and they remind me very much of Torres, but perhaps with not quite the same power. The 1/4 does mean a string length around 500mm, and would be tuned like a Term guitar, and would have been strung with gut strings originally. Manuel Soto y Solares were friends, and did some business-- including selling parts to one another, and if Jose Ramirez III reported rumor is true (See Romanillos book on Torres), Torres may have built guitars for Soto y Solares (but as Richard Brune in a letter to me) observes there is no evidence of this, and no examples have yet been found. Even so, Manuel Soto y Solares influence on guitar making, particularly on flamenco guitars was considerable-- he developed an "ahuevado" domed top that Francisco Gonzalez and Jose Ramirez I in Madrid copied and offered.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “The Café”