Moneygram on the internet.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
amezcua

Moneygram on the internet.

Post by amezcua » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm

I found a Spanish site advertising guitars yesterday . I had to use the Google translate to translate the pages .
Just to test the springs I sent a message asking if one could be sent to Inglattera. (Sorry that`s me showing off ). I asked if it could be sent in a casa . (Get it ? casa .case).
One of the shortest messages in internet history came back . "Si".
My next question was also short "Paypal?"
A negative reply in Spanish came back . "I do not have Paypal" "Moneygram ?"
His title or name was Musicman alongside the email address . So ,let`s face it , still a stranger .
A stranger myself to Moneygram , so I looked it up .
First instruction by Moneygram ; "Always make sure the person or company you send the money to is someone you know and trust ".
Next comment from Moneygram ; Advertising an item on the internet for money to a stranger is a classic scam .
Moneygram assure us that if this happens they will not refund your money . Ever .
Is the seller naive or a scammer ?

robin loops

Re: Moneygram on the internet.

Post by robin loops » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Does it matter? Head the warnings and don't take a risk at being scammed. You could offer to buy the guitar immediately if the seller puts it on e - b a y as a buy it now (or other auction site). It will take them half an hour to set up an e - b a y and paypal account. If they aren't willing to go to the minimal effort to do so, I would assume it's a scam. Otherwise you could do some research on the site and if you feel it can 'be trusted' take a chance.

The casa joke may have been confusing to the seller as casa is house not case and 'en casa' means 'at home'...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm

amezcua wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm
I found a Spanish site advertising guitars yesterday . I had to use the Google translate to translate the pages .
Just to test the springs I sent a message asking if one could be sent to Inglattera. (Sorry that`s me showing off ). I asked if it could be sent in a casa . (Get it ? casa .case).
One of the shortest messages in internet history came back . "Si".
My next question was also short "Paypal?"
A negative reply in Spanish came back . "I do not have Paypal" "Moneygram ?"
His title or name was Musicman alongside the email address . So ,let`s face it , still a stranger .
A stranger myself to Moneygram , so I looked it up .
First instruction by Moneygram ; "Always make sure the person or company you send the money to is someone you know and trust ".
Next comment from Moneygram ; Advertising an item on the internet for money to a stranger is a classic scam .
Moneygram assure us that if this happens they will not refund your money . Ever .
Is the seller naive or a scammer ?
I don't know that it matters if this was a Spanish site/seller, but just tell him that if he insists on using Moneygram, he has to send you the guitar first and you to receive it before you can send the payment as a money transfer with Moneygram. See what he says then.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Never heard of Moneygram before.

Remember it is quite common in Europe to pay via a bank transfer of some kind. "Sepa" (inter-bank) transfers are the cheapest way of sending money within the Euro zone. For both Spanish and Germans a direct debit is also common even for fairly basic purchases. Both Sepa and direct debits are way cheaper than Paypal so are much preferred. So a request for a bank transfer generally doesn't sound alarm bells. The payment system that generally rings alarm bells for Europeans is Western Union. Checks pretty much don't exist in the average person's life in Europe any more and haven't for the best part of 2 decades.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Personally I would avoid like the proverbial plague. Even so much as to say precisely if it sounds a really great bargain, its got to be too good to be true, so best avoided. And if its not a great bargain there is literally no point risking your cash.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Basically Moneygram is not meant for commercial transactions. It is for sending money to relatives or close friends. Their model is that they are the middle person facilitating a quick one-way transaction - by holding a number of bank accounts in various countries. When you send your relative/friend money, what actually happens is that it gets deposited into a Moneygram account where you live; then the same amount of money gets taken out of a Moneygram account where the recipient lives and gets deposited into their local bank account. The money never crosses jurisdictional boundaries and in that sense is never "sent". The very nature of this model makes it all but impossible to reverse transactions.
Last edited by guitarrista on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Yes caso is a case .Casa is a home. I messed up the first word of my first Spanish message.I wrote Ola instead of Hola .This enquiry to Spain was not a serious business but a spin off from finding out about the Tatay family tree. There is one diagram which includes the label images used by Tatay`s descendants . Valencia guitars basically .

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 am

(Sorry, comment not relevant.)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm

amezcua wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm
Yes caso is a case
In Mexican Spanish they use a lot of words borrowed from english. For example in Spain a computer is computadora while in Mexico they say 'computadora' (borrowed from computer). Caso may be used in Mexican Spanish but in Spain, caso is case in the sense of 'in case' (por si a caso) or a court case. Guitar case (in spain) is funda.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:21 pm

robin loops wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
….. For example in Spain a computer is computadora while in Mexico they say 'computadora' (borrowed from computer)…
Typo?

In Spain the usual word for computer is "ordenador".
Not to be mixed up with ordeñadora. :-)

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Guitar case is funda. So google translate just saw case and knew nothing about a guitar . Since you mention Mexico that was where they scammed me some months ago . Paypal got a full refund so well done them . I thought it would be good to ask about this Moneygram thing. The responses were what I expected but it`s valuable to have their reactions in writing here . Something that needs airing and might save somebody from hassle .
Portas automaticas .Why do they have that sign ? The doors will open anyway . Oh no it`s Portuguese. Portuguese are nice people though . I always think that .

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:33 pm

simonm wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:21 pm
robin loops wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm
….. For example in Spain a computer is computadora while in Mexico they say 'computadora' (borrowed from computer)…
Typo?

In Spain the usual word for computer is "ordenador".
Not to be mixed up with ordeñadora. :-)
Yes that was a typo.
-James-

Return to “The Café”