Petition about travel with guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Petition about travel with guitar

Post by dory » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm

I know that we are supposed to avoid politics on the forum, but this seems particularly relevant to our interests and is not partisan. You may need to copy and paste the link, but it is to a petition by change.org urging airlines to take more precautions with people's guitars.
At present I will not even travel with my beater guitar because I don't have a balllistic case. In the long ago past I used to travel freely with a guitar and they placed it by hand in a secure closet.
https://www.change.org/p/iata-guitarist ... ct-control
Dory

bear

Re: Petition about travel with guitar

Post by bear » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:09 pm

dory wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm
I know that we are supposed to avoid politics on the forum, but this seems particularly relevant to our interests and is not partisan. You may need to copy and paste the link, but it is to a petition by change.org urging airlines to take more precautions with people's guitars.
At present I will not even travel with my beater guitar because I don't have a balllistic case. In the long ago past I used to travel freely with a guitar and they placed it by hand in a secure closet.
dory,
thought you might find this interesting;
https://www.fim-musicians.org/airlines-list
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

dory

Post by dory » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm

That was very interesting. Thank you.
Dory

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 am

In case you don't plan any performances the best solution in my view is to travel with a guitar with detachable neck. I recently bought a backpack that has exactly the maximum dimensions allowed for hand luggage in an aircraft (55cm x 40cm x 20cm), and the body of my travel guitar fits perfectly inside this backpack. I wrote a mail to the security staff of my local airport and they confirmed that they see no security issues with this solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 am

andreas777 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 am
In case you don't plan any performances the best solution in my view is to travel with a guitar with detachable neck. I recently bought a backpack that has exactly the maximum dimensions allowed for hand luggage in an aircraft (55cm x 40cm x 20cm), and the body of my travel guitar fits perfectly inside this backpack. I wrote a mail to the security staff of my local airport and they confirmed that they see no security issues with this solution.
cool. what brand?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:36 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 am
andreas777 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 am
cool. what brand?
It's called Cabin Max available at the big A. The quality is ok for traveling in an aircraft but I wouldn't use it as a hiking backpack.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm with you on this, Dory. Too many awful stories. Also have been denied carrying on my (beater) guitar in spite of the airlines' stated policy that allowed it. No more traveling even with that. Hope this petition is a start.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm

When I traveled with my instruments in the past, (saxophone/classical guitar), I never checked them for storage in the bin below the plane. They always allowed me to use the closet at the entry door forward of first class to store the instrument. The last time I tried it, I had a big argument and was, only at the last moment, able to prevail. In the last 10 years, I have been able to borrow instruments on the other end due to my personal connections. I would not take a chance flying with my instruments today. Musicians are a very small special interest group and I doubt any of the airlines would consider a petition. However, if you have one, I'll gladly sign. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Just signed! Kudos to Eduardo!
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 pm

dory wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm
Good one, just signed it. I guess it's mostly true in the US. In Europe and Asia, I could travel with the guitar as a hand baggage.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm very surprised by the lack of responses to this important thread. Perhaps there are not that many performers among us or is it just lethargy? This is a real problem for musicians flying on domestic flights. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I have this problem but I just don't believe the petition will do any good.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm
I'm very surprised by the lack of responses to this important thread. Perhaps there are not that many performers among us or is it just lethargy? This is a real problem for musicians flying on domestic flights. Playing again . . . Rognvald
It is a problem. But I do not have the energy or resources to fight this battle. I don't believe it would do any good.

My solution was to quit flying.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101811&start=30#p1085492
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

dory

Post by dory » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I am not a performer but would like to be able to travel with a guitar. I know it is a hard fight but signing a petition takes almost no time and effort. This is the only (semi) political issue that I feel belong on a guitar forum.
Dory

Return to “The Café”