Any good flight search engine alternatives to Kayak?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

Any good flight search engine alternatives to Kayak?

Post by simonm » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:11 pm

For a good number of years I have been using Kayak as my first choice search engine for flights. Over the last half year or so it has become useless on my computer/browser set-up. Kayak is part of the Priceline Group since sometime in 2013 and I suppose by now it is just a clone of their other brands.

What I liked in the past was the tabular page for flexible dates and being able to put in multiple airports in departure/destination fields instead of just one and it was also quite fast. It sometimes came up with unexpected options that were very nice (e.g. it was the first place I saw Norwegian flying from Germany to the Canary islands and with great prices too). Lastminute unfortunately does not display prices in the somewhat similar tabular view - you have to click on each combination for that.

What are your current favorite flight search engines? I am naturally more interested in search meta-engines with a strong European bias.

powderedtoastman

Re: Any good flight search engine alternatives to Kayak?

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 pm

I used to look at Hipmunk, but I can't remember if I ever bought any tickets off of that one, whereas I have bought things that I found through Kayak. I'm not sure if it's gone a similar direction since the last time I looked to buy air tickets.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 pm

I use Skyscanner and have got some good deals on there, though mostly long-haul.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am

Rasputin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 pm
I use Skyscanner and have got some good deals on there, though mostly long-haul.
Hadn't heard of Hipmunk before. It does allow multiple combinations of cities in the search fields. However, the results display is not user friendly.

Thanks. Skyscanner does not have the option for putting in multiple airports in the search fields as far as I can see. However, the tabular display of results is good.

The kind of display I like is one with dates across the top and the side so that you can see at a glance which day is likely to be the cheapest. That was the Kayak feature that I liked most. You were able to refine it by limiting the number of stops and the time of the day or even eliminate the airline. What was not so nice was that it included "nearby" airports whether you wanted it to or not. "Nearby" is not much use if the airports are on a different island.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

No, you have to do separate searches for different cities, although there is an "add nearby airports" option and you can put "anywhere" as the destination - I find the nearby airports option quite useful, though as you say there are pitfalls... The "anywhere" option is more of a brainstorming thing, I think. I have never found it that useful because you generally have to click through to a specific destination to get any prices.

The "whole month" display is a bit like the one you describe but I haven't found that very useful either, because half the time the prices are missing and you have to click through anyway.

You can certainly imagine other filters that would come in handy - say you to go somewhere in April that is no more than a 4-hour flight away, where the weather can be expected to be warm and dry but not too hot.

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am

posted in wrong topic.

Return to “The Café”