Jazz guitar for Classical Cats

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Jazz guitar for Classical Cats

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:23 am

I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this book. I think it's by Andrew York. I think there are three volumes. Was wondering what are your impressions? I wanted to take a glance at it, but don't know where to find it.

Pat Dodson

Re: Jazz guitar for Classical Cats

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:06 am

Don’t know it I’m afraid but Giggling immediately brings it up, sold by several outlets including the great river one.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

:desole:
Last edited by randalljazz on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

bear

Post by bear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

I hadn't heard of it but the title sounds good. There's nothing like jazz on a 10 string.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm

You may also be interested in some of the books of short jazz and blues pieces by Alexander Vinitsky. If you haven't been by the "Our Recordings of Contemporary" section of the forum, then drop by and you'll find some nice posts by Marek Cupak!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Love Marek. Awesome .

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:23 am
I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this book. I think it's by Andrew York. I think there are three volumes. Was wondering what are your impressions? I wanted to take a glance at it, but don't know where to find it.
i should have said, "depends on your purpose."

if you want to learn how to function in a jazz ensemble setting (interpret jazz charts, improvise, accompany--"comp") with the instrument and technique you have, i.e., not switch to electric guitar with a plectrum, then this series will be helpful getting your bearings.

if you just want to play "jazzy" sounding arrangements for solo guitar, then you will be better served by the plethora of published such works widely available, for sale and otherwise...

if option one is you, i'm happy to elaborate. ;)
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am

bear wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am
I hadn't heard of it but the title sounds good. There's nothing like jazz on a 10 string.
yes. yepes tuning is wonderfully resonant in the flat keys that predominate in jazz...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm

randalljazz wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

if you want to learn how to function in a jazz ensemble setting (interpret jazz charts, improvise, accompany--"comp") with the instrument and technique you have, i.e., not switch to electric guitar with a plectrum, then this series will be helpful getting your bearings.

if you just want to play "jazzy" sounding arrangements for solo guitar, then you will be better served by the plethora of published such works widely available, for sale and otherwise...

Th asks Randall, it was option one for me.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes, this is a topic I'm really interested in. I'd love any suggestions folks may have.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Check out Plamen Petrov: viewtopic.php?t=107775

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm
randalljazz wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

Th asks Randall, it was option one for me.
okay. so this will probably ramble, and run over multiple posts, depending on whim and level of interest, as i've been at this quite a while--about 13 years jazz exclusively, and with arranged tunes in my solo "act" for a few decades before that...

a local businessman and sometime musician bought a restaurant and hired all sorts of musicians to play---brunch, dinner, later evenings---it was great while it lasted, but his refrigeration business couldn't sustain the $10k a month drain indefnitely...(you know how to make a million dollars with a jazz club, right? start with two million)....

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am

among the musicians i met in passing (me breaking down, them setting up) was a vibes player who asked if i was interested in playing "fake book jazz"--from leads sheets of GAS (great american songbook) tunes and jazz standards. i accepted with the plea that i would do better with tunes in "guitar keys". two rehearsals later (just the two of us), we played a gig with a bass player...not a complete disaster, but man, did those flat keys throw me!
some time passed, with me getting acquainted with some commonly played tunes, and occasional rehearsals with bass, piano and vibes.

what i discovered early on, besides the issues of playing in time and keeping my place in the form (the FIRST rule!) was the need to share the sonic space with the others ("randy, we love you, man, but..."--an invitation to figure it out or forget it.) as a solo guitarist, my instincts were to play six note chords if possible, and on all eight eighth note spaces in a measure of four four. whew!

volume one of jgfcc was vital to coming to grips (pun intended) with this imperative.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm

randalljazz wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am
what i discovered early on, besides the issues of playing in time and keeping my place in the form (the FIRST rule!) was the need to share the sonic space with the others ("randy, we love you, man, but..."--an invitation to figure it out or forget it.) as a solo guitarist, my instincts were to play six note chords if possible, and on all eight eighth note spaces in a measure of four four. whew!
I think that would go for any ensemble playing, arranging things for chamber ensemble with guitar etc. Especially if it includes other harmony instruments, harps, keyboards, etc. (easier to occupy all six strings etc. if just accompanying a singer or single melody instrument)
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am

sxedio wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm
randalljazz wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am
I think that would go for any ensemble playing, arranging things for chamber ensemble with guitar etc. Especially if it includes other harmony instruments, harps, keyboards, etc. (easier to occupy all six strings etc. if just accompanying a singer or single melody instrument)
well, sure. but improvising in the jazz context is arranging on the fly. as the measures go whizzing by, you grab whatever chord your instincts (read: background knowledge) you can, in as best time you can muster, hopefully staying somewhere near the groove...striving to make harmonic sense, listening to the others, anticipating the next phrase...and then it's your turn to improvise a solo...

so yeah, if you have a ready vocabulary of two, three, four note chord voicings for major, minor, and the various dominant types, and can bring them to bear in real time tastefully...in Eb or Ab or Bb minor or whatever, then no problem. you don't need this book.

but if your knowledge is about what mine was--cowboy chords, barre chords of the basic CAGED shapes--somewhat practiced in C and the first few sharp keys, JGFCC volume one will help you acquire the knowledge and skills to function...

Return to “The Café”