In the heart of the California fires

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

In the heart of the California fires

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

These fires are really scary. Yesterday I had to think about evacuating. We never got a formal notice to do it, but it crossed my mind that it would be better to go than wait.

Luckily we were able to stay. The illusion of the fire coming to get you really becomes overwhelming. The wind's have died down. On the night of the fire we had 30-50MPH gusts of wind.

The sky is grey, ash is getting everywhere. It's only stuff, guitars, clothing etc...But it seems like the most wealthy are least affected. The largest area hit was a huge community of migrant works who lived 3 families to one home.

For those curious to see some images...

https://twitter.com/hashtag/sonomafires

astro64

Re: In the heart of the California fires

Post by astro64 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Just terrible. My sympathies. The fires have also come very close to Willits where Greg Byers has his workshop. I don't think that area is out of trouble yet, depending on wind direction and ability to get containment in the next days.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Horrible. I have a friend in the area.
Help!

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I reached out to Greg Byers to see if he and family are ok. if anyone doesn't know Greg lives in the middle of the forest among the red woods of northern california just outside of Willits. He said he evacuated but was back home a-okay.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Terrible fires, storms, floods, loss and misery ... and our masters insist there's no such thing as global warming.

From the Australian experience I would say Be Prepared, and evacuate before you're ordered you, or the roads become unusable. Get your best guitar in the car!

Wishing everyone who may be at risk all the best and a safe return to normality. Let it rain!
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 pm

I guess we are more or less lucky so far. I'm with family, I keep telling them to get things they need. My aunt packed her hair products. Me I'm comfy fasting three days, no food or water.

People are spraying their roof tops. The fire department suggested kindly that they need hydraulic pressure to fight the fires. I felt guilty taking a shower...I mean a hot freaking shower.

I've packed two pants, two shirts, inside a gig bag with a guitar, in the ukuele case is three pairs of socks. Packing light is best for me. I'd rather have a guitar and uke, than thirty pairs of socks and tons of stupid things like hair products.

I find it fascinating that yesterday my mom had no concern, but now that she see's the entire area enveloped in smoke, that it could happen. But sadly the wind and all the favorable fire conditions are moving toward other victims. We've got a weird blessing going on.

What I find most sad in all of this is...why does it take a life threatening firestorm to get our neighbors to actually talk to one another? The very concept leaves me feeling sad.

We also lost a family friend to a spontaneous death, possibly heart attack. And another person we know who used to be our old neighbor, lost her house, it was a rental...but her little boy was just doing his last round of chemo...talk about double whammy.

I've got my guitars ready, ten sets of strings, and four additional sets of basses. That will keep me sane.

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 am

Best wishes to all our affected members! In Santa Barbara we have had some heat and low humidity but not much wind. I just saw our updated forecast for the weekend but that is going to change, hot, very dry air and 35-45 mph winds for a few days starting Thursday eve. Those conditions always make us nervous as we live in a high risk area in the hills behind the city.

dory

Post by dory » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:03 am

I live in an area not prone to fires, hurricanes or earthquakes and my thoughts are with people suffering all those horrors.
Dory

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

It's been a long night. To make a long story short and put into perspective...evacuation of family to SF went smooth. I was in traffic nearly on the way to my friends dad's house. I stopped. He's a stubborn old European guy from Bosnia. Very old world and he's served in Tito's army. He's seen worse :)

We begged him to come with me but he insisted on staying. His son called, his daughter called...we debated for a few hours. At that point I felt safer waiting it out.

I had to go with my gut. The sounds of evacuation announcements all sounded but the region was quite specific. Us guitarists you know we have good ears. It was if those announcements were nodes being pinged. I had to go with my gut.

I rationalized that panicked motorists all heading out at the same time could be a liability in itself. It put me in a state of fear and I reasoned that I could not maintain a safe logical frame of mind to venture to the road. Now I feel calmer that I can see the sky again. Roosters are going off and owls are hooting. A few birds are around.

Stars can now be seen. The moon is no longer red and it looks more normal. Needless to say it's been a long night...although sleep is a good idea, I'm waiting till sunrise to go canvas the town and get some insights. National guard has been deployed here. I also rationalized that if the guard didn't cordially tell me to get the hell out, that evacuation might not be needed.

It was a very smart effort to call on evacuations in day light. Citizen journalists and social media were far more effective at communication that local law enforcement. All they kept saying was "it's coming."

I couldn't let myself get caught up in the fear. It would have been toxic to the mind. I saw the same hell the previous nights, but they just kept going making it feel a small amount better. I had to put most faith in the fire crews. If they can go on 23 hours of sleep, so can I. It's been a remarkable effort and it I think we dodged a bullet.

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Scary stuff, here is hoping the worst is over and your skies continue to clear and the birds continue to sing.
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm
It's been a remarkable effort and it I think we dodged a bullet.
I'm glad it's turning out ok for you. Sitting here in southern UK where nothing like this ever happens it sounds as if it must have been really scary for you and everyone in your local area.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

The Coffey Park neighborhood, which looks like a scene from WWII, is only about six miles from us. Very frightening times. Fortunately (for us at least), we are west of the worst, closer to the coast, and the ocean breezes push the fires away from us. At least, that's how it usually works. Nothing is for certain these days, so we are constantly on guard. We have 7-8 friends who lost their homes, lost everything, got out with whatever they could jam in their cars on short notice.

Stay safe, Messy...
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 pm

As I understand it, the trouble with these fires, and what was catching people off-guard, was that the winds were blowing from inland towards the coast, so they weren't carrying the moist ocean air like the usual on-shore winds do, but warmer, dry air from the middle of the state. It's the same situation that makes the Santa Ana winds so deadly. You can see it in satellite images.

I'm concerned for my old friends in areas in danger: Sonoma, Napa, Calistoga, Glen Ellen.

Be safe.

Pat

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Messy, the landlord upstairs has three people from Sonoma staying with him. They didn't 'have' to evacuate, but it just made sense. Of course, things are changing by the hour. This is truly horrible and like nothing seen in recent--or distant!--memory in Northern California'

Smoke in the S.F Bay area is pretty bad. The thing is, everyone here knows that we're all in this together--everyone's suffering to some degree. There is now and will be a big outpouring of help from the City and environs. The wine country is our bit of rural France, but with good plumbing. It's a retreat for many in the urban areas and very well loved. And of course it's home to many thousands of people. Hard to watch all of this.
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 pm

A terrible thing, these fires. Stay safe, MessyTendon.

Return to “The Café”