In the heart of the California fires

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

Re: In the heart of the California fires

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:10 am

Jeffery...yeah it was a good idea to prepare and I wait until at least saturday to return. The wind could cause another situation. But it's looking better for us. Everybody loves wine country, but I wouldn't compare it to France. We have inferior wine and they have better cheese :)

Our local bars were open. Happy hour resumed, and a guy brought in a huge pot of chicken soup that was really good. The situation is bad. Everybody knows somebody affected by it.

Sorry about your friends Oski. I figured you were in a safer zone than most. It's too bad about the friends. The weather cooled down a lot too which was good. I finally removed the guitar from the car, it's tempting to turn on the heat for a minute to warm it up. Humidity was really low here in the 10-14 percent range when the fires started.

When the weather cooled and humidity increased that was a good sign. At around 2 in the afternoon we had air support working on the fires, we never saw the support before so close. It seemed like they had a grasp on it in this area. Surrounding areas are still going. It seems like higher percentages of containment are the on the way.

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, please stay safe. I've friends quite a bit south in Silicon Valley and even they are noticing the smoke in the air.

And yet, support for Global Warming initiatives is being diluted by the federal if not the state govt. It's crazy.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am

Some of the photos look pretty terrifying. I am really glad I am not there. Portugal also had (and is still having) a pretty bad year with fires too.

I wonder would adobe type construction (or brick, or concrete block for that matter) survive such events any better? As far as I understand most US housing is plywood/OSB construction and sometimes even with plastic or bitumen products for roofing and outside walls (sidings I believe is the term). Some reports say the worst fires for about 80 years. Do these particular areas have any history of fires? In other words is any of this analogous to people building in flood plains?

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 pm

In other words is any of this analogous to people building in flood plains?

No. Nothing of the sort.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm

And volcanoes are interesting. When they erupt and the nearby land has to be evacuated, people ask why there were people living on them in the first place, but the land can be very fertile farmland and it can be the only place where people can survive.

Of course the fires are an accident (that's not the right word, but it will do), whereas volcanoes are designed to erupt.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Pat, it's getting better. Calistoga is on complete evacuation for good measure, those roads are not easy to go up and down quickly. Those who decide to stay essentially are on their own. Napa fire is gaining 27 percent containment.

The Patrick fire is the one threatening Sonoma. It's not likely to simply wipe the entire town, but homes on the hill are most effected.

Anybody interested in getting a more logical picture can look at Calfires web-site. The fire maps aren't 100 percent up to date, but they put it into a good perspective.

Sadly the media and other on-line outlets have vague and alarming red squares. Calfires is a more logical picture of the topography and reality.

We are so damn lucky.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm

did Pat have anything to do with the Patrick fire? seems kinda fishy to me...
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:10 am
Sorry about your friends Oski. I figured you were in a safer zone than most. It's too bad about the friends.
We are. My friends who got wiped out were in Fountaingrove and Glen Ellen
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Saturday morning--how were the winds last night?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:04 pm
did Pat have anything to do with the Patrick fire? seems kinda fishy to me...
Hah! I lived in and around Napa for 20 years, so maybe. Not really; that fire area is actually Partrick.

Three fires in that area, Pressley, Partrick and Adobe, have all merged into one. A beautiful piece of property I used to live on, at the top of Oakville Grade, looks threatened, especially if the wind shifts.

Messy, an old friend in Calistoga had to evacuate. She's OK, staying with friends in Napa city. I have friends in Napa, who say the situation in the surrounding hills is horrific.

Stay safe, everyone!

Pat

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:52 pm
Saturday morning--how were the winds last night?
Fortunately not as bad as predicted. But there are periods of gustiness that come and go. Very unpredictable. Where we are it is very calm, the sky is relatively clear, and it feels like a typical crisp autumn morning. Yet just miles away it's a hellish inferno...
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Great; when I went to bed the winds weren't YET as bad as feared. So good--but I've heard there were some more evacuations, from an abundance of caution I hope! Weathermen were saying the winds last night would be the worst for a while, so now that they've subsided again, go firemen! containment seems to be increasing...
winds are to the west this morning in Berkeley and I can see the City and the smoke piled up over the ocean. Clear air!
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

dory

Post by dory » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:31 pm

The thing is we can't declare all of California a "fire disaster area" as if it were a floodplain.
I have a brother in SF and am very concerned about what is going on there. I understand the city itself is now currently at risk, but I am vrry converned about the areas that are. It sounds like some of the wineries in Sonoma have been destroyed.. The whole thing is incredibly sad. This has been a terrible year for natural disasters.
Dory

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 am

dory wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:31 pm
The whole thing is incredibly sad. This has been a terrible year for natural disasters.
There have been so many, hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, and the like, along with man made disasters like mass shootings, that you get a kind of disaster fatigue. You know, you say "oh, another disaster, oh, those poor folks," send the Red Cross or whoever $100 bucks and go on with your life. It's very different when it happens in your own backyard. It re-awakens your humanity, that's the best way I can think to put it.

dory

Post by dory » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:17 pm

I have friends in Puerto Rico. I am pretty upset about what is goung on there. And I am worried about what is going on in CA and have a brother and sister-in-law there, although in still safe SF. Disaster fatigue-- yes. Unable to help-- probably except for donations. Concerned about human suffering? Definitely.
Dory

Return to “The Café”