Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio!

Post by glassynails » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 am

Is this some of the best music or am I committing heresy? Does anyone else like this stuff? I love Dio's song Rainbow in the Dark, and there's some good Iron Maiden tunes like the classic "The Trooper" and "Can I play with Madness" and stuff. I think these guys really rock and the singer can really sing unlike a lot of the crap stuff today where they just scream.

I never listened to any of this type of music though when I was a teenager or even as an adult, but for some reason it seems to remind me of being a young man and how I was so excited about the future and life and I had the world by the .... I also like Metal music I have to admit, but again rarely EVER listen to it. Just recently I've been listening to and mesmerized by female "death metal" singing or whatever you call it. I can only take Death metal in short spurts though, but sometimes in the car I like listening to it when I'm in the mood and want to really rock out!

I love some of Judas Priest, but I don't really know anything about any of this music other than hearing some songs occasionally on the radio during my 44 years being alive. I really don't know anything about Slayer, but I remember seeing kids wearing the tshirts when I was back in high school in the late 80's. I heard a piece that they just performed on Jimmy Fallon and it sounded pretty "hardcore"!

I also love all the "hairbands" that were popular when I was a teen, such as Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, Lita Ford, and stuff I'm not ashamed to admit. I know people sometimes make fun of this type of music, but I think there were some real classics in that era. Much better than the "crap" they play today!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Yvon

Re: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio!

Post by Yvon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm

South au heaven and Reign in blood are desert island album for me.
I'm not a fan of judast priest though.

But Metallica first 4 album are great too!
Yamaha GC-31

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 pm

I think my all time favorite "metal" albums are: Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast" and (especially for the guitar work) Ozzy Osbourne "Tribute" and Michael Schenker Group "Michael Schenker Group" (listen to "Lost Horizons" :!: .)

But I suppose this is because these were my first heavy albums at all...

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 pm

:ouioui:
I love some Metal! :elec:

Those are great bands you listed- I've listened to and enjoyed all of them immensely. Im also a huge fan of Bach, Sor, and much of the more traditional stuff, which I struggle to play. :mrgreen:

I find Metal to be both an evolution and progression of the guitar (not counting Dragonforce-apologies to any fans!) :lol: :wink:

I recently re-discovered Opeth and have to recommend them to any fan of metal or guitar. Originaly a Death Metal band; now almost a Progressive band ala Jethro Tull! They do play nylon string guitars btw, as well as steel and electric, and I find there music to also be quite challenging to play.

Cool thread! I hope to add to this discussion by posting a question:

I wonder if anyone else shares the love of Metal or would care to comment on it's place in the evolution of guitar?

I feel like there is similarity in the level of technical skill required in Classical and Metal and that they share alot of musical idioms that may not seem readily apparent.

Cheers!

:guitare: :chitarrista: :casque:

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:00 am

It's funny hearing someone appreciating a style of music, or band(s), after they were originally introduced to them. Well, just in the sense that it happened to me for non-metal bands whilst I was very much into rock/heavy-metal/whatever you want to call it and all it's variants/sub-genres.
As a teenager, I loved rock and Heavy Metal bands like Saxon, Scorpions, Accept and, of course, Iron Maiden. And at the same time, let's say, more rock-orientated bands like Rainbow, KISS and UFO. The spectrum was covered in the magazine Kerrang at the time anyway.
But I was someone who liked the genre as a teenager and whilst I started listening to other things via friends like Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen, I never stopped liking that type of music.
Not long after, I remember that bands like The Smiths came along, and I suppose, the Indie-type bands which I loathed at the time, especially The Smiths. But lo and behold, after a decade or so, I actually came to quite like The Smiths - well, some of their stuff - Bigmouth Strikes again is one of my favourite songs.
And other bands like The Pixies and Nick Cave and the Bad seeds were another example of bands/artists who I didn't really like when I first heard them but then later on, they became some of my favourite artists.
Although the problem with the Pixies is that Monkey's gone to heaven is one of my least favourite songs by them but it was the big 'hit' when I 1st heard them.

So in response to the OP, yes, there are other people on this site that like this type of music. And, people do revisit music genres they maybe didn't appreciate on 1st hearing.
And it's been commented on before how many of these bands were probably influenced, even to some small degree, by classical music.
And I think it's true that one of the things that is appealing about this style of music is that it can be quite intricate much like the similar genre of Progressive Rock. As Wuuthrad mentioned, the Swedish metal band Opeth morphed from a death (?!) metal band into eventually a Progressive Rock band not dissimilar from a great band called Camel (who the main band member, MIkeal Akerfeldt, sites as a major influence).

But as to stuff I like and would recommend, I'd also like to mention the following:-
Van Halen (saw Jason Vieaux doing a bit of Eruption on his CG on Youtube recently...)
King's X (great 3 piece)
Dream Theater (more Progressive but still can be 'heavy'..)
Devin Townsend
The Tea Party
Savatage
Megadeth
Nightwish (with female Operatic singing)
Sword (from Canada)
Saxon
Bang Tango (lesser known 'hair' band)
Black n Blue (another lesser known 'hair' band)
Last Crack
Alter Bridge
Living Colour (black guys playing funky metal - 1st 2 albums their best..)
Masters of Reality
Kyuss (Josh Homme's band before Queens of the stone age)
Queensryche (twin guitar and operatic voice similar to Iron Maiden)
Stryper (if you don't mind Christian metal!)
AC/DC (Hard Rock more than metal but still the best at that imo)
Jane's Addiction (art-rock)
Tool
Mastodon
and don't forget Rush, still going strong (I hope!) after all these years!
Loads of others I could mention too that are worth a listen.

All the bands mentioned in the OP and others are great although I'm not that familiar with Slayer. But if you mention Dio then I must mention that his albums with Black Sabbath are great too - songs like Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Falling off the edge of the world, all good stuff. In fact, you can't go wrong with anything he's done - Rainbow, Dio, Black Sabbath - great singer and great bands.
An example of how the genre doesn't just have screaming vocals. Under that topic, also listen to Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale (both Deep Purple), Doug Pinnick in King's X, Corey Glove in Living Colour and Myles Kennedy in Alter Bridge, to name a few.

One other 'group' to mention that shows the ties between metal and classical fans and music (even if many CG players don't want to admit it!) is the cello group Apocalyptic, consisting of a classically trained cellists, who brought out an album playing Metallica covers and who morphed into a cello playing metal band!! Actually, I must check out some more of their stuff....
Last edited by Smudger5150 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 am

Actually scrap everything I said. Just go and listen to Dumpy's Rusty Nuts!

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 am

I still listen to metal now and then. I was always a big Motorhead fan. I also used to listen to a fair amount of old Metallica, Black Sabbath, Testament and a number of other bands. Back in my younger days, I was in a hair band an played a bit of everything, including such cheese as dangerous toys, warrant, and poison.

Some of it is actually good music! Listen to some of the old Sabbath riff's. Great stuff.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 am

Most of the music in this thread I've never listened to, but I like me some 70s AC/DC and some Motorhead. I will try Sabbath when I get around to it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 pm

I find Metal to be both an evolution and progression of the guitar (not counting Dragonforce-apologies to any fans!) :lol: :wink:

I wonder if anyone else shares the love of Metal or would care to comment on it's place in the evolution of guitar?

I feel like there is similarity in the level of technical skill required in Classical and Metal and that they share alot of musical idioms that may not seem readily apparent.

Not very scientific but , personally, I wonder if the reason it may be perceived as being a progression of the guitar is for these reasons:-

the guitar is the main instrument,
the genre, as well as progressive rock, has not only songs and rhythmic work (riffs) but also solos - allowing rhythm and lead guitar playing that you don't get in many other genres that use the guitar,
different styles in sub-genres have been explored - speed playing in thrash and speed metal; different tunings, 7-string guitars; 2, 3 and more ensemble playing (Blue Oyster Cult during Godzilla, I think); and, as a genre of music, it seems to be competing with dance music for the most sub-genres - leading to different styles of guitar playing being explored such as blues, classical, folk, indian, funk, electronic etc.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am

I love guitar music in all forms, not going to lie: Punk, Rock, Blues, Folk, Bluegrass, Metal, even Jazz 😮😳 😝 (Fusion stuff especially like John McLaughlin) ... etcetera! But to me a lot of music is formulaic, and I always come back to classical guitar for its complexity and variety.

I was just reading a topic here about "Has Music Lost it's Way," and I've wondered the same thing at different times in my life.The last time this happened, I checked out what's going on in Metal, and eventually brought myself back to Classical again, and it became obvious that I was the one that lost my way!

Another thing both styles share is virtuosity: going "way back" to early 1980's- Cliff Burton's Bass Solo on Metallica's Kill 'em All for example is a variation on a Classical piece if I remember correctly. And Tatyana Ryzhkova playing Asturias on electric is a great video on You Tube. She discusses and compares the two styles interestingly.

For me Sabbath is classic but not something I would listen to much of anymore. But the albums Black Sabbath and Paranoid!!!??? It's an experience every guitarist should have! That being said, a lot of there early music is blues based riffing. Nothing wrong with that as they came up with many awesome riffs. I like the Sabatoge album best. Tony Iommi plays steel string classical style quite well, and the story of his fingers is amazing and inspiring.

Metal reminds me that songs and virtuosity can co-exist; guitar playing, vocally, drumming, bass guitar and keyboards as well.

Beware; not for the faint of heart: Symphonic Black Metal!

I wonder would Paganini write for the electric guitar today? Surely every guitar player has to listen to Yngvie Malmsteen at least once.

I might be in a minority here though:

I my car I'm listening to right now on CD 😮😳😎

Julian Bream
- Baroque Guitar

Opeth
- My Arms Your Hearse
- Damnation (an immensely beautiful mostly acoustic guitar driven album)

Cradle Of Filth
- Cruelty and the Beast, a concept album based on the legend of the Hungarian "blood countess" Elizabeth Báthory

The Spanish Guitar Magic of Andres Segovia

Municipal Waste
- Massive Aggressive

Slayer
- Reign in Blood
- South of Heaven

But who's really impressing me lately with his shredding is:

Paco De Lucia
- Almoraima!!! :guitare: :chitarrista: :elec: :applauso:

And :merci: for the band recommendations!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:16 am

Maiden has the guitar riffs. Vintage Sabbath introduced me to analogue turntables :)

My sensitive ears have a hard time listening to studio rock music from the hair band era. I like Credence Clear Water recordings made at Fantasy studios. Those recordings let you hear the tube amplifier fuzz and the kick drum is really tight.

The audiophile in me just has a hard time listening the harsh bright 80s studio sound. It's what the hifi nerds call "fatiguing sound"

Much like a lousy double top nomex box...

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 am

I don't listen to rock that much anymore, but a couple I always liked:

Turbo Lover------Judas Priest
No More Tears-----Ozzy

We are going to see 'Helles Belles' on the 21st which is an all girl AC/DC tribute band.
Help!

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 am

Glassy, if you like Dio, check him out in Rainbow, especially "Rainbow Rising." Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple's guitarist) formed it when he got sick of how commercial DP was getting. He has Cozy Powell on drums, one of the best. It has, among others, two epic 8-minute songs that I just love: "Stargazer" and "A Light in the Black."
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:00 am

I love the aforementioned metal bands. That said, I hardly ever listen to them now. The guitar playing used to be spectacular, with the exception of Slayer. I had my first electric guitar about a year, when Alcatraz had Yngwie in the band. I later went back and learned Hiroshima mon Amour. I used to love classic Iron Maiden, and Sabbath, Dio, and Priest. I hated bands like Poison and Motley Crue, Warrant, and some others where the guitar playing was questionable. I was always into classical guitar though, even though I was terrible at it. It gave me something to reach higher for. Now I can actually play some of the classical pieces that I heard growing up. I guess I like good, virtuoso playing, regardless of the genre.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 am

Guitarist Ben Woods has youtubes and at least one published book of arrangements of heavy metal tunes arranged in his "Flametal" (flamenco - heavy metal fusion) style.

Return to “The Café”