Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio!

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Dio!

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 am
I still listen to metal now and then. I was always a big Motorhead fan. I also used to listen to a fair amount of old Metallica, Black Sabbath, Testament and a number of other bands. Back in my younger days, I was in a hair band an played a bit of everything, including such cheese as dangerous toys, warrant, and poison.

Some of it is actually good music! Listen to some of the old Sabbath riff's. Great stuff.

Martin
Actually, I remember Dangerous Toys....Teasin' Pleasin'. We actually did that one. Faster Pussy cat too.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am

I love the 80's music and big hair bands, they were great and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I even liked Madonna, Michael Jackson, and all the electronic stuff like Tears for Fears and stuff. People weren't staring at cell phones all day either, the kids actually looked up in those days and went outside a little.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm

I have to give some of the kids these days credit: even though I grew up with all the 80's music, I've been surprised by their having more knowledge of earlier genres of popular (and underground) music than I do!
I'm speaking of family, friends, acquaintances, and college radio DJ's mostly.

I reckon it's easier to find stuff online- back when it was watching MTV at a friends house, word of mouth, seeing flyers for shows, or buying a record (vinyl,) I would say it was harder to get exposed to different stuff than it is now. Didn't stop me though!

I also wonder why there aren't more people outside!

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:29 am

glassynails wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am
I love the 80's music and big hair bands, they were great and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I even liked Madonna, Michael Jackson, and all the electronic stuff like Tears for Fears and stuff. People weren't staring at cell phones all day either, the kids actually looked up in those days and went outside a little.
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where a kid's TV programme stops for a while and the kids all go outside and start playing in the parks and being a lot more healthy again.

Tears for Fears were good. I even learned to like Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet but I'll never relent over Culture Club. If I hear Karma Chameleon again on an 80s TV review programme again I'll put my foot through the telly! :x
(Well, probably not - more likely I'll just groan and shout at the TV instead...)
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

LesC

Post by LesC » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am

I love great guitarists regardless of genre. In the heavy metal-ish types of music, my favorites are guys like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, etc. But I think the greatest of them all was Shawn Lane. His 1992 album "Powers of Ten" just shows a level of sophistication that's unsurpassed in any genre, at least for me.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:53 am

Hey Glassy, if you like Judas Priest, try out "Unleashed in the East". That's my favorite album by them. Best version of Tyrant on that one. Also, Green Manalishi best version. The Fleetwood Mac version sucks.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm

tubeman wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 am
Glassy, if you like Dio, check him out in Rainbow, especially "Rainbow Rising." Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple's guitarist) formed it when he got sick of how commercial DP was getting. He has Cozy Powell on drums, one of the best. It has, among others, two epic 8-minute songs that I just love: "Stargazer" and "A Light in the Black."
Love those 2 Rainbow songs!
Well love all Rainbow (not the UK 80s kids TV show...).

Metallica did a good tribute track called Ronnie Rising on their last album to honour Dio after he'd passed away - covered a selection of Rainbow tracks Dio sang on including A light on the black. Great stuff! Plus it included Kill the King which it is one of my favourite Dio-Rainbow songs which was probably they heaviest they got.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Metal - Metallica, Soundgarden, etc. in the truck driving, classical music and Rush at home. Thank you to the previous reference to Rush - as Kirk Hammett was quoted "the solo from 'La Villa Strangiato' is the ultimate in 'conceptual metal'". 'Nuff said.
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:18 pm

I would love to know just how many of our great metal guitarists started out with their initial training in classical guitar -
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

Return to “The Café”