Does anyone know pianos?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Does anyone know pianos?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I'll probably buy an electronic keyboard one day, but I have played a few in the Yamaha shop and I know that I'll be frustrated if it has fewer than 88 keys.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 pm

My Korg has the 88 keys, fully weighted. Acoustic style weight to the action. Obviously the action isn't quite the same as an acoustic but I've played acoustics with very soft spongy actions and others that were quite 'stiff'. It was around £450 with the stand, £350 without. Not a huge amount of money for a hobby. If it lasts 5 years I'll consider it a bargain. No reason why it shouldn't last a lot longer.
Historicalguitars.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 pm
My Korg has the 88 keys, fully weighted. Acoustic style weight to the action. Obviously the action isn't quite the same as an acoustic but I've played acoustics with very soft spongy actions and others that were quite 'stiff'. It was around £450 with the stand, £350 without. Not a huge amount of money for a hobby. If it lasts 5 years I'll consider it a bargain. No reason why it shouldn't last a lot longer.
Same here. Mine has been fantastic. My kids learned piano on it. And, unlike everything else I have with strings, my wife can't cite it in the divorce.
物の哀れ

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm

One of the New York piano moving firms did a video showing how they dispose of unwanted pianos .Not necessarily bad pianos .The large van backs into a warehouse. The back door opens and out flies a grand piano onto the concrete floor. In the background a JCB type machine with huge jaws scoops up 3 upright pianos and crushes all of them in one bite. A very scary sight . Come on , tell us the maker`s name , so we can say a prayer for it .

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm
They are heavy and cumbersome to move around, no doubt about that.
The pianist Heiner Costabél has modified (on his own) his three Steinway grand pianos and build a wooden box around each instrument, so the can bring his own piano to a concert. You can see it on the following page:
https://www.concerti-costabel.de/flügel ... transport/
And he has a caterpillar to move the grand piano from the trailer of his car to the position in the concert hall. To assemble and build the grand piano is very exciting. There are various wooden blocks fixed with screws inside the box that hold the piano and that are used to support it when the three legs and the pedals are added. For me it looked like a big 3-dim. puzzle. :lol:
Two days ago I assembled and dissembled the grand piano together with Heiner Costabél in the castle of Waldenbuch. Beside the nice time before and after the concert as part of the organization team, Mr. Costabél gave a very impressive piano concert.
If someone wants to buy a digital piano, I can recommend my Yamaha CLP 575 that is of course not as heavy as Mr Costabéls grand piano.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm

amezcua wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm
One of the New York piano moving firms did a video showing how they dispose of unwanted pianos...
I read a NY times article about 2 years ago … I suspect it was about that same company. Some of the pianos are apparently top class instruments where the equivalent new one might be 50-100K but they simply don't fit into some people's lifestyles any more and as there are so many in that area there is simply no market although some of the instruments might be worth serious money some where else.

The lesson for selling pianos seems to be "location, location, location" with the basic assumption that the instrument is decent in the first place.

Where I am at the moment, there is older English upright in poor condition - it has been used purely as decoration for 20 years and is faded, out of tune with some poorly working keys (I fixed a bunch by the expedient of reseating them) but for whatever reason a friend of the owner's has decided that she wants to get it restored. Otherwise it would now be outside and left to rot and fall to bits. My guesstimate is that it will cost 6k-8k to restore it. That said it, despite its poor state it has a surprisingly nice tone and I was surprised to see that new uprights in a local store's display window are 10-12k. The town has a music conservatory so there is some demand for instruments here and the music shop manages to survive.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pm

The Fazioli F308, the longest (in length) regular production piano. You'll need a decent sized room to house one. I just don't see the attraction at all, apart from the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoMGpx7jYg
Historicalguitars.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:38 pm
The Fazioli F308, the longest (in length) regular production piano. You'll need a decent sized room to house one. I just don't see the attraction at all, apart from the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoMGpx7jYg
Better stereo separation between bass and treble ;)

A.Arcese

Post by A.Arcese » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 am

I know quite a bit about pianos. You may message me.

Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" will help you.

Setting aside financial matters, a potential downside to giving a piano to an institution such as a church or school is whether the instrument is the right fit for it. Will it be properly cared for? It could be in for harsh treatment that will shorten its life. Or this could be a church that takes music very seriously and will treat it with respect. Varies.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:41 pm

A lady who runs a music club was telling me about their grand piano accident. They share a hall with other clubs and the piano was fixed in one position.Something was locked .But the other club decided to move it . They must have a raked (tilted) surface to the stage. Before they realised it the piano rolled away and fell off the stage. It was totally destroyed . Raking stages helped with visual perspective in a play . I never knew some stages were tilted.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 pm

My brother has a 7 1/2 foot Fazzoli, but has been recently thinking about taking my mother's piano in addition. He wants to save it for my sister who hasn't played the piano in 30 years and doesn't have room in her house for my Mom's piano. However, the piano restorer who looked at my mom's piano just called him and begged him to donate it to my church where they have an excellent music program (it is reputed to be the best in my town, which has two universities and a lot of music) and where pianos are treated well. My brother is now considering doing this. I don't understand why we are being told the piano is considered a treasure. It has something to do with the iron in the iron in the frame which is softer than in contemporary pianos (I don't know why this matters) and the tempering which is somehow unique. It is a restored older piano made by a company named E.B. Chase which no longer exists but apparently used to be very good. It makes me extremely sad. Imagine if all the first generation Hauser guitars or even worse all the Torres guitars were going in the trash because they were old. The situation with pianos seems tragic to me. I do understand the problem with moving them but there are fine old instruments being neglected or destroyed. We are about to do a home remodel and I wish I could give a home to an older piano (even my mom's) but it woukd be a shame because I don't play and between us we have 5 guitars which take up space.
Dory

Return to “The Café”