Has anyone “downsized?”

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
richard3

Re: Has anyone “downsized?”

Post by richard3 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm

When I moved house a year ago, I put away about 1000 books, also about 1000CDs, a lot of clothes, some tools and machines from my workshop, but no guitars. Guitar-wise I ended up in upgrading!
Jose Luis Romanillos 1988, Matthias Dammann 1994, Gernot Wagner 2009, Teodoro Perez Flamenca 2015, Kim Lissarrague 2017

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:11 am

richard3 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm
When I moved house a year ago, I put away about 1000 books, also about 1000CDs, a lot of clothes, some tools and machines from my workshop, but no guitars. Guitar-wise I ended up in upgrading!
Same here. When I moved a few years ago, I got rid of a huge number of books and CDs, as well as a lot of other stuff that had accumulated over the years, but my collection of guitar scores has grown.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 am

We "downsized" to a slightly larger house, but all on one level. The act of moving caused us to get ride of lots of unnecessary stuff as we hadn't moved for 30 years and had accumulated all kinds of stuff. Do you know, we kept forgetting what we'd moved and what we'd gotten rid of for some time? And of course we later needed what we'd gotten rid of at times. Now we need to do another sweep out. I think you spend the first half of your life acquiring and the send half disposing! Guitars and associated paraphernalia are like potato chips, though. You can't stop at one.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

richard3

Post by richard3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:30 am

a human wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 am
Guitars and associated paraphernalia are like potato chips, though. You can't stop at one.
Exactly! :D
Jose Luis Romanillos 1988, Matthias Dammann 1994, Gernot Wagner 2009, Teodoro Perez Flamenca 2015, Kim Lissarrague 2017

rikart

Post by rikart » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 pm

After developing tendonitis problems I bought a 640mm scale guitar. It helped considerably, but not completely. I'm thinking 613mm now.
Apart from that, and far more important as I seem to spend more time on it than with my guitar, I have downsized my mobile phone. I became fed up with carting about mobile phones that have now reached the dimensions last seen in the brick sized devices of the 80s. My hands are small, so I have dispensed with lugging a portable cinema about, and am now the proud owner of a phone that fits happily in my shirt pocket. Admittedly, I did not think that it would be possible to even exist like this, having gone cold turkey, but all is well.
rikart /warwick harte

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am

I actually sold my BMW K1600 a while back and didn't replace it but when I do it will definitely be with something smaller/lighter/simpler....

Regarding guitar, yes, I've done this a few times in the past. Right now I'm actually in the middle of a cycle where I'm reducing the amount of gear I have, just in terms of volume, but replacing it with higher quality items (just fewer of them).

Things like this are cyclical for me. I've done it with camera gear too.

Other than that, I'm also trying to downsize my waistline.... ;-)

Return to “The Café”