composing another set of 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeremiah Lawson

composing another set of 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 pm

This time around it's more a side effect of my interest in polyphonic composition. It just occurred to me in the last few years that I've been writing fugues into some of my guitar sonatas (the C sharp minor guitar sonata I finished a few years ago wraps up with a six-minute fugue) and my recently completed guitar sonata in d minor opens with a six-minute fugue and I just figured that if Bach's WTC books were compilations themselves I could just work my way to assembling a second set of 24 preludes and fugues. So that's what I've started doing.

But this time around I'm aiming for a more deliberately vernacular approach, one where I try to more deliberately build fugues from American folk and vernacular idioms. So one of the fugues is going to have a subject that would fit into a ragtime, while a fugue I recently completed is built entirely around a subject that is played using a bottleneck style of playing.

pogmoor

Re: composing another set of 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar

Post by pogmoor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Are you going to set the in all the different keys?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 pm

yeah, all 24 major and minor keys like the earlier cycle I wrote between 2007 and 2012. What's going to be different about this cycle is I'll be using more scordatura. The D major and D minor fugues are going to be in open D tuning and the G major and G minor fugues will be in open G tuning (I finished the G major fugue a couple of weeks ago and it's a slide-guitar experiment homage to Hank Williams Sr.). The E flat fugues will have a scordatura that lets me do a lot with an E flat Lydian subject that would be impossible to work with in standard tuning.

For the first cycle of fugues I wrote I used drop D for the D key fugues and pseudo-Russian for the G fugues but had everything else, even the fugues in E flat major and E flat minor, in standard tuning. To make this next cycle less physically taxing and more amenable to invertible counterpoint I'm experimenting with scordatura more.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:58 am

I'd like to hear this - I'm not one for trying music I haven't heard, but I'm prepared to buy the score if I like it.

Have you recorded it?

Is it out there?
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:53 am

The second cycle isn't finished but the first cycle of 24 preludes and fugues I've composed has already been published as a solo and duet set of pieces here at Delcamp in later May of 2016 in the Our Scores for Classical Guitar forum.

If you'd like to hear the first cycle you can go hear the whole thing over here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YSho7XmZ7k

Daniel recorded the duet version so there will be some small differences between the duet and solo versions in the G fugue but otherwise the preludes and fugues are pretty much the same in both solo and duet forms.

I've meant to have more videos up that would include my studies in harmonics and some of the more recent guitar sonatas I've been composing but this has not been the easiest year for me on a couple of fronts. Maybe 2018 will go a little more easily.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 pm

I have these going in the background now. Very nice work, really quite enjoyable to listen to!

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi

> If you'd like to hear the first cycle you can go hear the whole thing over here.
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YSho7XmZ7k

It seems to be not possible to start the videos due to a "... not available in your contry".

rgs
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria MH 100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 am

KlaBueBaer, does this link work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9RDeOTPSIE
It's of me playing the C minor fugue at my own channel. I'm wondering if that also doesn't work. I've read a bit here and there that Google and company aren't always on the best terms with the EU lately so I can't be sure if something has come up with some of the videos from that or if I've linked to stuff that has a format issue with the source files being in an incompatible format sometimes.

KlaBueBaer

Post by KlaBueBaer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 am

Hello Jeremiah,
thank you for your quick response. Yes, this link shows the video, it is working . The video at the first link is still not available.
nice recording. i like it.
---
Lakewood M-32G --- Aria MH 100 --- Hoyer Grand Concert --- Crafter Vintage ---
MuseScore --- GuitarPro --- SmartScore ---

Return to “The Café”