If you are an ex rock and roller, how would you play guitar in Eb?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
D.Cass

Re: If you are an ex rock and roller, how would you play guitar in Eb?

Post by D.Cass » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:25 pm

If a session player is asked to play in Eb, they would simply play in Eb. No need to to retuning the instrument. One may find themselves in Eb in a blues seeion if there are horn players, so it is not all that uncommon. The only time needed to retune would be if open strings are required. Maybe some would use a capo, but bar chords work just as well.
If you are asking why do some rock guitarist tune down to Eb. Well, there are several reasons. One could be the vocal range. Having played with vocalist I have found myself in Eb often. “Hotel California” was orginally written in E Minor, but it didn’t fit the vocalist range very well. Another, is a heavier sound out of the instrument. There are probably more reasons for dropping down Eb

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 pm

D.Cass wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:25 pm
If a session player is asked to play in Eb, they would simply play in Eb. No need to to retuning the instrument. One may find themselves in Eb in a blues seeion if there are horn players, so it is not all that uncommon. The only time needed to retune would be if open strings are required. Maybe some would use a capo, but bar chords work just as well.
If you are asking why do some rock guitarist tune down to Eb. Well, there are several reasons. One could be the vocal range. Having played with vocalist I have found myself in Eb often. “Hotel California” was orginally written in E Minor, but it didn’t fit the vocalist range very well. Another, is a heavier sound out of the instrument. There are probably more reasons for dropping down Eb
Another reason for choosing a key with more flats is that it sounds "darker". Round Midnight for example is written in Eb minor. It doesn't get any darker than that. 8)

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Very true. Joe Pass plays Round Midnight in E Minor off the Virtuoso album. Even though it is one of my favorite renditions it does lack some of the other darker qualities of Eb Minor.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Come to think of it, on second thought, if I was an ex rock and roller I'd probably show up late, hungover and wearing ripped jeans, chuck taylors and a dirty t-shirt, turn the pre-amp all the way up on my tube amp, and rip a few riffs and solos without bothering to retune. Might even plug a Boss PS-3 pitch shifter in the chain. :ouioui: :chitarrista:

Keys? Please... rock and roll ain't about theory! :lol: :wink:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Maybe related -
someone showed me this - it's in C#.
It could be a baritone guitar tuned up, but I guess it's more likely to be an ornery guitar tuned down.

Youtube
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:02 pm

D.Cass wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 pm
Very true. Joe Pass plays Round Midnight in E Minor off the Virtuoso album. Even though it is one of my favorite renditions it does lack some of the other darker qualities of Eb Minor.
I have to admit that my own arrangement of Round Midnight is also in E minor. However, one could use a capo on the 1st fret which would transpose it to F minor with 4 flats for "darkness".

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 am
Suppose you were playing session blues guitar or rock guitar and you were asked to play in Eb; how would you do it?
Would you tune the guitar down a semitone, or would you do it some other way?
In a rock context definitely tune down a semitone. This is not actually a choice - it is your duty to tune down :-) - since the typical reason rock/metal would play something in Eb or lower drop-tuning is to get the extra low frequency colour from the lowered-by-semitone sound. Some, like Metallica on practically the whole "St.Anger" album, would tune down to C (!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_C_tuning
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Not sure of my facts on this but the story goes that when Embrace did their first Glastonbury their guitar tech went off sick and nobody told the replacement that they tune down a tone. They went onstage all out of tune and had to stop and regroup. An embarrassing moment.

dory

Post by dory » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:18 am

So I avoid keys with multiple flats but have assumed that it is because I wan't used to them but I realize that guitar music is rarely written in those keys. Shouldn't it be theoretically possible to play in any key on the guitar? I played large sections of the soprano part of the Brahms Requiem on my guitar last spring to practice my part, and it included sections in keys like A flat, but I have realized that I was playing only a melody line with no chord structure. This is probably a really ignorant response to the question asked. I realized suddenly when reading this, that most of the music I play is written in C, G, D, E, and F in the major keys, and equivalent minors, although I think I have played through the whole book of Segovia scales.
Dory

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 am

I'd play in Eb. Obviously, I couldn't use the cliche open positions used in keys like E. So I wouldn't use those. A lot can be done in other positions.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Return to “The Café”