Foro Flamenco Closing

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Keith

Foro Flamenco Closing

Post by Keith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 am

Just saw a notice that Foro Flamenco Forum is closing due to cyber thieves, crooks, spammers, etc.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Rick Hutt

Re: Foro Flamenco Closing

Post by Rick Hutt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Well that might explain why I haven't been able to sign up for it for a couple of weeks of trying. That's too bad, it looked like a good forum, and I recognized some of our members there. But we still have our flamenco sub forum.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Oh no! I love that place :/

Wait...we have a flamenco sub-forum? I never knew that lol..
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Karma. I shed no tears for it.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

For the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would hack a flamenco site. It is a sad reality of our present world I suppose.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm

This is sad news. Although I had my differences with Foro Flamenco, it's all meaningless ancient history now. What's more important is that a valuable resource for information on flamenco has been lost to guitarists.

And there's not much to fill the void. Old School Flamenco Foro (oldschoolflamenco.com) is about the only one left, and it's a very good site for information on flamenco, but there are only a few hundred members, and not a lot of activity.

And for some reason I haven't been able to log into Old School Flamenco for a week or so now, and I sure hope they haven't gone down. It would be bizarre if both forums closed at the same time.

Unless it's somehow just my computer. Could some members please try to log into - oldschoolflamenco.com - and see if it's still functioning and report here whether or not you were able to log in. Thanks.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm
This is sad news. Although I had my differences with Foro Flamenco, it's all meaningless ancient history now. What's more important is that a valuable resource for information on flamenco has been lost to guitarists.

Unless it's somehow just my computer. Could some members please try to log into - oldschoolflamenco.com - and see if it's still functioning and report here whether or not you were able to log in. Thanks.

Ramon
I just tried twice; "network connection lost" is the message I got.

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Ramon
That site appears to be inaccessible - connections are timing out.
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Foro flamenco is not going to close, too many people care about it and the vast treasure trove of knowledge that has been built up over the years. The worst outcome is that that the searchable archive will be lost as someone sets the forum up anew on an off the shelf host who can worry about the security issues, so but even then the old foro will have limited access via web lookup.

However, there have been so many offers of support - financial and tech -that the sys admin is considering all this and closure has been postponed. Its looking likely that the whole lot will simply be moved to a new home.

Return to “The Café”