your introduction to guitar? variations on a theme.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Dirck Nagy

your introduction to guitar? variations on a theme.

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi all

I know this theme has been performed many times in the past. Many active members only have single-line blurbs as their first post. Looking over the archives, I see introductions from people who unfortunately aren't active any more. (like this great one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23018 ) I'm wondering about YOU, current member!

How did you become a guitarist?

What were / are your motivations? Values? Aesthetics? Rewards? Why the CLASSSICAL guitar, as opposed to, say, steel-string folk styles, or piano, or clarinet, or...?

Keeping with the tradition of Diabelli, how about some variations on this theme?

Be brave! Talk about yourself! The world wonders...

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

CathyCate

Re: your introduction to guitar? variations on a theme.

Post by CathyCate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:14 pm

I studied piano and violin (classical) thru high school. A child of the 60s I dabbled in folk guitar on steel strings with very high action.
After college graduation, I wanted to play and study music again. Attempts at returning to piano and violin were very discouraging. No success picking up where I'd left off. Enter the guitar again. I almost bought a steel string, but yielded to my soon-to-be teacher's advice to try a classical guitar. Perfect pairing. The love affair continues (most days;-)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 pm

I got interested in CG after I heard Rick Emmet do a short finger style piece on a Triumph cassette. Originally, when I started guitar, I started on electric guitar. I wanted to play electric after I heard Aldo Nova's Fantasy. Those grinding chords got me. But electric lacked a certain beauty that the classical guitar had. There was a teacher at my high school that played CG, but at a very novice level. He let me play his 1A Ramirez, and from there I was infected with the nylon string disease.
I wish he was still alive so I could show him how I have grown as a guitarist. He had a heart attack during class one afternoon, and he died.

The teacher had a guitar class and he invited me to be his assistant with the class. I learned a lot through this experience and I got credit for doing so. He introduced me to Williams and Segovia through recordings of pieces that he wanted to share with the class. I did that for a year and never touched classical music until two years ago. I heard Bianco Fiore which is something that I heard in class when I helped him. I learned it and the simple piece brought great joy. It was the first CG piece I had learned all the way through.

He had offered to sell me his Ramirez, but in 1985 his price of $1000 was out of reach. After his death, his wife offered to sell it to me for 800, but still out of reach for me.

I bought my first CG when I started again two years ago. It was a Cordoba C5. I now have a Ramirez 4NE.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

I took piano lessons. I think I did not like them for two reasons. First, my teacher was a very weird person who smacked our hands (he also taught my brother) and collected roadkill in her freezer (seriously-- they were birds and may have been pretty but that sort of thing freaks kids out very badly). Second my mom was a very gifted pianist and nothing was good enough. I have no idea why I wanted to study guitar as a teenager. The only guitarist I had ever heard I think was Liona Boyd and she did not impress me much. It makes no sense. Then in my 20s, I realized my husband was a much more gifted musician than me and quit. That is a terrible reason to quit. Chalk it up to immaturity. Obviously I came to my senses later.
Dory

bear

Post by bear » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:35 am

I think I've told this story a couple of times before but one of the privileges of age is repeating ones self.
There was a girl, a beautiful girl, dark brown eyes and hair. Her parents had emigrated from Italy (go figure). She had a bit of a short fuse and so did I. We had a fight and broke up. I went to see her the next day and she was on her porch with another guy. He was playing a guitar and she appeared completely captivated.I walked away without a word, determined to learn to play and get her back. I also got involved in martial arts. I'd either out play him or kick his butt.
I was 14. About 20 years later I was having dinner with two very beautiful women and she came over to me and I didn't recognize her.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

I saw the Beatles on TV and had a few CG lessons as a way into electric. Gave up nylon for a few years but came back to it. I cannot express the extent of my gratitude to the Beatles for getting me hooked.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I had a severe left arm/hand injury. During rehab, the Occupational Therapist asked if played an instrument. Of course I said "guitar". He said specifically, train on classical because it will help repair the neural damage and is better for rebuilding strength than steel string or electric (it's harder to play). So after 5 decades of rock on an electric, I took up classical and have been "pumping nylon" for the last 5 years. I have come to find that classical is also more challenging intellectually, so is better brain exercise. I are much smarterer ever sence I tooked up classical! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm

I started at about the age of 9. Became interested in classical guitar at about the age of 18, and studied it alongside doing a degree in another subject.
In my twenties I had a lot of guitar lessons with Craig Ogden and took some diplomas, and went to a few guitar festivals.
Then I started to teach music in High Schools, having learned the piano as well.
And at the age of 45, I am still learning, and teaching the odd person.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:11 pm
I had a severe left arm/hand injury. During rehab, the Occupational Therapist asked if played an instrument. Of course I said "guitar". He said specifically, train on classical because it will help repair the neural damage and is better for rebuilding strength than steel string or electric (it's harder to play). So after 5 decades of rock on an electric, I took up classical and have been "pumping nylon" for the last 5 years. I have come to find that classical is also more challenging intellectually, so is better brain exercise. I are much smarterer ever sence I tooked up classical! :D
Hmmm...interesting! I also decided to concentrate on classical guitar after an injury, 20 years ago. (I already played CG, but not really seriously. I was a Horn player back then) In my case, it was my right wrist; in a cast for about a year. I couldn't even hold the guitar, much less play it. I realized the guitar was what I missed the most.

I hope your arm is ok now!

cheers
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

bear

Post by bear » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Hmmm...interesting! I also decided to concentrate on classical guitar after an injury, 20 years ago. (I already played CG, but not really seriously. I was a Horn player back then) In my case, it was my right wrist; in a cast for about a year. I couldn't even hold the guitar, much less play it. I realized the guitar was what I missed the most.

cheers
dirck
I switched to classical after numerous hand injuries. The last being the amputation and reattachment of my middle finger on my left hand. I could't manage the narrow string spacing on steel string.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

bear wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 pm
Dirck Nagy wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:

cheers
dirck
I switched to classical after numerous hand injuries. The last being the amputation and reattachment of my middle finger on my left hand. I could't manage the narrow string spacing on steel string.
I was in a cast for the typical 10 weeks. The day my cast was removed, holding a filled coffee cup was the max I could do. It took 1.5 years to return to performance level.

I'm curious if you two (Bear and Dirck) had an Occupational Therapist like I did who recommended classical? According to my OT, the nature of classical - left/right hand coordination with essentially a possible chord change on every beat - leads to stronger neural growth, let alone the muscle rehab.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I was in a cast for the typical 10 weeks. The day my cast was removed, holding a filled coffee cup was the max I could do. It took 1.5 years to return to performance level.

I'm curious if you two (Bear and Dirck) had an Occupational Therapist like I did who recommended classical? According to my OT, the nature of classical - left/right hand coordination with essentially a possible chord change on every beat - leads to stronger neural growth, let alone the muscle rehab.
I've always been a kind of "sew on and I''l be on my way type". I've removed my own stitches, set or splinted broken bones, etc.. Although I have friends that are OT's and PT's, I didn't consult them.
I had played a Gibson ES335 and couldn't deal with the 43mm nut. I'd about given up. I was certainly aware of cg but figured only people with talent could play one. The desire to play won out. I first tried piano but I'm missing part of my right elbow and piano was incompatable with the injury. I saw a cheap cg on the bay and gave it a shot.
I don't know about neural growth (most new learning experiences will have a positive effect). There was certainly an improvement in muscle function. A few months ago my wife bought a hollow body jazz arch top for me. I was able to play it. My ability to play chords is limited to simple triads but it's better than it was.
I wish I hadn't sold my 335 but the proceeds paid for my Hauser. I don't think cg would ever take a back seat to ss. CG has allowed me to do so much more
and even though I'm devoid of talent, I can make a decent noise.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:39 am

There is actually a book where the author interviewed many (about 50 maybe?) talented guitarists of various degrees of fame about this very topic. It's a great read! I've got it somewhere around the house but can't put my finger on it right now.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 am

"My First Guitar: Tales of True Love and Lost Chords from 70 Legendary Musicians" by Julia Crowe.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm
No, I was already a classical guitar player; I just wasn't all that serious about it until it was taken away from me!

I know very little about rehab, but that neural growth bit makes sense. CG certainly isnt going to harm anything there!

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1952 Vincente Tatay

Return to “The Café”