your introduction to guitar? variations on a theme.

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mike Steede

Re: your introduction to guitar? variations on a theme.

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 am

I started on piano at 5, then I had a leg injury at 13 years and was stuck at home for 5-6 months as the infection wouldn't clear up. I plunked away on my dad's old steel string out of boredom at first. I went to the library one night and picked out two albums - CCR's Greatest Hits and Christopher Parkening's 'Romanza'. That was it - I was hooked on electric and classical at the same time. I played in basement bands, listened to 'Rush' (still do), worked out the little classical bits on 'Caress of Steel' and 'A Farewell to Kings', and took lessons. The electric guitar/basement band thing fell apart when I started college so I started private lessons with one of our college CG instructors and never looked back. If I could do it again I'd major in music.
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

bear

Post by bear » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Ceciltguitar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 am
"My First Guitar: Tales of True Love and Lost Chords from 70 Legendary Musicians" by Julia Crowe.
Thank you, I'll check it out. I'm always looking for a "waiting room" book. This one sounds interesting.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

dyspros

Post by dyspros » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Even thinking about it brings tears to my heart.

My first memory is one of music. My parents had a friend who was a fantastic guitarist. He had learned on his own, mostly, but also with some input from the father of another friend.

Anyway...

Most of what he played was accompanying others who wanted to sing. But here and there, he'd squeeze a classical guitar piece. We all loved it.

He died of cancer.

I think of him everyday of my life. He gave me the gift of love for music. The music I want to play myself are the pieces he used to play.

I practice the violin and there's a piece by Fritz Kreisler I always offer him before practice. I say ''this is for you..." and his name. The piece is called Liebesleid, which means Love Sorrow. Fraternal love, in our case.

My dear friend lives on in every note I ever play and in every beautiful music I ever hear.

davebones

Post by davebones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 am

I have been mostly a jazz bone player, but a guitarist I worked with turned me on to jazz guitar 15 years ago. I learned some guitar skills, but was too busy to ever get into it much. After retiring, I wanted an instrument that would be satisfying to play without a group, and classical guitar was and still is most appealing. I've been very inspired and encouraged by the stories of the members of this board, as well as by their generous sharing of their playing via the sound clips. Once I get some better chops, I hope to share as well, if only to encourage other beginners. I've sold five electrics and two trombones to build up my step up guitar fund, and I pay a lot of attention to what members use for their own instruments.

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:55 am

davebones wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 am
I have been mostly a jazz bone player, but a guitarist I worked with turned me on to jazz guitar 15 years ago. I learned some guitar skills, but was too busy to ever get into it much. After retiring, I wanted an instrument that would be satisfying to play without a group, and classical guitar was and still is most appealing. I've been very inspired and encouraged by the stories of the members of this board, as well as by their generous sharing of their playing via the sound clips. Once I get some better chops, I hope to share as well, if only to encourage other beginners. I've sold five electrics and two trombones to build up my step up guitar fund, and I pay a lot of attention to what members use for their own instruments.
As to your 'step up guitar fund', if you decide to go all the way and have a luthier build you a custom instrument, here's a link to a good listing of who's out there http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/cl ... -luthiers/
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon'
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM

davebones

Post by davebones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Mike, Thanks for the list reference. I have been intrigued about the hand made guitars by Japanese luthiers of the 1970s that some of the "We who love Japanese guitars" group own. I am learning on a Takamine C132s which I think is considered a student guitar, but it sounds good to my ears. I'm trying to slow down and not get caught up in another bad episode of GAS, having at one time had 7 electrics. And I'll check out Steve Ganz.

Return to “The Café”