A crack in my Mahogany Door

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
amezcua

A crack in my Mahogany Door

Post by amezcua » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Very similar to a guitar crack , one of the bottom panels in my new Mahogany kitchen door has developed a crack . The panel is made in two pieces . The old door had loose panels that separated from the frame when I took it apart. It was there for a hundred years. During the summer it seemed , with the new door ,that the surrounding moulding had been glued to the panel. Then the centre join opened to let in the light . On the first damp day the gap closed itself again. I was in two minds how to tackle it . I tried to slide a thin blade under the moulding but that was too tight .This movement all seems so similar to cracks in guitars.
My two good alternatives are 1) Ask the door makers how they put these doors together.
2) Scrape off some varnish along the seam and use hot glue and then wait for dry weather to see if the wood pulls itself out of the moulding slot.It will be a modern glue versus old glue contest .
Maybe I was too thorough when I varnished the door. Maybe the dried varnish is causing the split. Or maybe carpentry firms have forgotten the basic door making principles of leaving the panels free to move .Time will tell .

CathyCate

Re: A crack in my Mahogany Door

Post by CathyCate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 pm

My front door (leading to foyer, not the one leading outdoors) developed a crack. I have taken no action yet, but have started to wonder...what's the worse that can happen? It has panels too. There is a lot of woodwork in this condo: mantel, staircase, bookshelves. Eeeek! I will be following this thread with interest and trying to study up on the care and feeding of wood. And I thought my guitars were my only concern!

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 pm

My first thought would be to get in touch with the suppliers and ask them to sort it out, if its relatively new.

My old doors have the decorative mouldings pinned in place, not glued. It seems to give the panels just enough room to move, even though the pins do go through the edges of the panels.

If the panels them selves are glued in then I can't think what to do apart from dismantling the door and rebuilding. If the glue has just come from an excess used when sticking on the moulding it might be possible to destroy and discard the moulding and replace with new. I would be thinking of using a vibro saw, with the underside of the teeth ground off, to cut away the old moulding.

I can think of half measures, like filling any dry weather gaps with a wood coloured mastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the old methods had been put aside in favour of quicker production.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Assuming the door is out of warranty and no longer covered by the manufacturer, my instinct would be to fall back on my old boat-repair techniques: i.e., remove the current finish; fill any voids or cracks with thickened epoxy; seal all the wood with a few coats of thin epoxy resin to help it resist future damage due to humidity changes; and, finally, paint the door using an appropriate exterior paint.

That's what I would do, but I'm sure there are other ways to handle the problem as well.

Good luck
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Return to “The Café”