My recent visit to Madrid

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: My recent visit to Madrid

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

"Sounds like California has already separated itself from the real world … Oh wait … Hollywood!"

Gee, never heard that one before. :roll:

So, the EU (and England) represent the highly functional and rational real world these days? By the way, that computer you're using...had its origin in California.

Glass houses and all.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 pm

That's great you found a new guitar and made a connection with the maker.

I don't think the craft of this industry necessarily needs to be like other industries where you can just walk in and fondle stuff. I am certain your experience would have differed if you had a good translator and you mentioned having money :)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm

"I don't think the craft of this industry necessarily needs to be like other industries where you can just walk in and fondle stuff."

As do male politicians.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Carlos Castilla

Post by Carlos Castilla » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 pm

I was in Madrid in July and visited the Jose Ramirez shop. I hear you...
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't think I "walk any place in and fondle stuff" (BTW it would not have been possible at Ramirez or anyplace else, because there is no stuff standing around to be fondled with. Everyplace you have to ask and see what they are willing to show).... I state my wish humbly but clearely, and a good seller should be open to possibility that if he shows me something I like I could buy it. What kind of customer is it who would say "I have money and buy whatever it is"...

It was very obvious at Álvarez place that he wasn't interested to sell something to me, he was intersted in showing what I would like, and still be free to decide whether I take it or not. But as I said, I didn't want to criticize anybody. Just describing an experience. For me the outcome couldn't be better...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 am

Did you have any difficulty bringing your new guitar home? I mean, did you have to pay high custom fees, go through inspection process etc. and can you use carry on luggage? Sounds like a great trip...like a treasure hunt...that's probably an instrument you'll always remember and take extra care of.
Thanks for sharing,
David V. :casque:
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 am

Anyone planning on visiting Madrid should, if time allows, visit the former capital Toledo just 30 mins away by train. A quite beautiful town in an equally stunning setting.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:34 am

Michael L wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 am
Anyone planning on visiting Madrid should, if time allows, visit the former capital Toledo just 30 mins away by train. A quite beautiful town in an equally stunning setting.
We were there. Very beautiful, but everybody seems to have had the same idea on that day, so it was extremely crowded. Huge queue in front of the cathedral...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 am

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 am
Rognvald wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Very informative, Rojaro. In regards to the lack of interest shown to you by many of the vendors, one must keep in mind they are undoubtedly inundated daily with curiosity shoppers who have no intention of buying and just want to tinker with their guitars. And, to a business person who must make a living . . . this is a total waste of time and a distinct possibility to damage one of their guitars. Perhaps a better approach would be to call ahead and make an appointment and see if they have something of interest to you. I believe their response to you would be quite different.
Playing again . . . Rognvald
Don’t count on it. I tried emailing Ramirez several times over a period of a few months before a trip to Madrid - not even a reply. At that stage I owned 2, or maybe even three instruments or theirs, including an early 1900’s Ramirez I I wanted to talk to them about. Profoundly disappointing lack of response.
-

I have an exactly same experience like Peter. 2 or 3 years ago, i have a client (an Indonesian) who wants to buy a Ramirez top model - Centenario Model. So i email Ramirez several time and even contact them directly via FaceBook messanger. They never replied to my email. And from FB messanger i receive also bad response. My general impression is they seems didn't believe that my client seriously wants to buy their top model, they also tends to underestimate me (i might be not a huge dealer like GSI or Kent etc, but in Indonesia i'm the first one who bring many high quality classical guitars to the market). This is the first time i met a guitarmaker / manufacturer that act so arrogant.

I'm really glad that finally my client decide to order another expensive guitar. And i bring him a very nice Dominique Field guitar. Better than that cocky Ramirez i'm sure.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:34 am
Michael L wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 am
We were there. Very beautiful, but everybody seems to have had the same idea on that day, so it was extremely crowded. Huge queue in front of the cathedral...
We were there quite early in the spring and it wasn't too busy. The riverside path is a very picturesque escape - a must see for anyone who appreciates nature and the fine old bridges. The river almost surrounds the town.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:42 pm

My experience in Barcelona ten years ago wasn't much different. I was amazed at how casually I was treated as a customer. I did buy a guitar but I had to work very hard to find one with little help or interest from the makers. I found it all very odd and wondered if it was some sort of anti-English thing.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 am

Casa Luthier Barcelona?

Return to “The Café”