Day Off for a Horse Race?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Paul Janssen

Day Off for a Horse Race?

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Today (1st Tuesday of the month) is the Melbourne Cup. It is the world's richest turf horse race and if I'm not mistaken, the world's 2nd richest horse race overall. It's often referred to locally as the race that stops the Nation (I can't remember a time in my life where I haven't stopped to watch the race).

It also happens to be a gazetted public holiday in the state of Victoria (the state in Australia where I live). This got me thinking - are there any other places in the world that have a public holiday for a horse race? For that matter, what other "bizarre" public holidays are there? I'm pretty sure a day off to watch a horse race has got to take the cake, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Day Off for a Horse Race?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:06 am

The Kentucky Derby and Oaks is not an official holiday, but many schools are closed on that day and many businesses close. They should make it one though, we could all use a day off. It is, after all, an event of grandeur. The women and their hats. I think it's just about the classiest event in sport. However, since I worked in hospital, it wouldn't have mattered other than I would get paid time and a half. Or if it was my second year in a row working a given holiday, double time and a half. We always managed to watch at work, when we weren't busy cracking someone's chest🐮

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:31 am

When I grew up the "Grand National" and the "The Derby" (Ascot) were pretty important events in the British Isles.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 pm

How about "hangover day" ? January 1st is an official holiday here in the US. The reason is obvious ...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The CafĂ©â€