Great Flamenco artists?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Steve Kutzer

Great Flamenco artists?

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

I’m trying to build a Spotify playlist of Flamenco. Sad to say, all I really know is Paco de Lucia and Rodrigo y Gabrielle. Who else should I add?
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

MessyTendon

Re: Great Flamenco artists?

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am

Paco Pena, Sabicas, Carlos Montoya, Pepe Romero, Manitas De Plata, Vicente Gomez...

Now if you really want to discover and here the nuance of good flamenco you'll need to ditch the spotify and pay for vintage vinyl. It's out there, somewhat reasonable priced.

You could spend a couple hundred a year on spotify, or buy a turntable and go to town.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am

R&G are not rally flamenco. They only do Rumbas, but there is much more to Flamenco than that. If you only play Rumba, you wouyld not pretend that you are a flamenco player. I have said it on this forum before, but guitar is for accompaniment of Cante and Baille. It is these elements together that truly make Flamenco. However:

Listen to the album Vivencias Imaginadas by Vicente Amigo. Travesia by Gerardo Nunez.

Call me old school but my advice is to listen to whole albums, don't just cherry pick with a list of the 'best' pieces. Some pieces are better heard in the context of others.

I would name some Cante singers, but I am thinking that you are really interested in guitar players as this is a guitar forum.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

perico el del lunar, melchor de marchena, diego del gastor, manolo de huelva, niño ricardo, el habichuela, manuel morao (and family), ramon montoya, parrilla de jerez,...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for the many recommendations. Vinyl, I can assure you, won’t be happening. And while I have many CD’s, these are uploaded into music services. But I really like Spotify and the instant access to new things (entering the names provided above had a 100% hit rate on at least some of their catalogues). Plus it has tight integration with my whole house Sonos system.

I realize Rodrigo and Gabrielle are not the “real deal”. Now, I rather hate to admit this to my serious musician friends, but I was looking to create a playlist of mood music. R&G hit the mood perfectly.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Vicente Amigo, Gerardo Nuňez, Manolo Sanlucar, Paco De Lucia. Paco Peňa.

Special attention for Vicente Amigo's CD Poeta (with orchestra).
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Paco del Gastor

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm
Thanks for the many recommendations. Vinyl, I can assure you, won’t be happening. And while I have many CD’s, these are uploaded into music services. But I really like Spotify and the instant access to new things (entering the names provided above had a 100% hit rate on at least some of their catalogues). Plus it has tight integration with my whole house Sonos system.

I realize Rodrigo and Gabrielle are not the “real deal”. Now, I rather hate to admit this to my serious musician friends, but I was looking to create a playlist of mood music. R&G hit the mood perfectly.
If R&G hit the mood then try Jesse Cook. He has many albums of rumba music. Also a South American duo named Strunz and Farah.

KP

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Juan Serrano, one of the best!

Lorette :casque:

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

...and
Juan Martin

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Have a listen to Edsart Udo de Haes on spotify. He is a Dutch flamenco guitarist who studied in Sevilla, Spain. I saw him concert a few weeks ago and impressed me with his originality and impeccable technique
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 am

...and Tomatito
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 am

Wikipedia's list of flamenco guitarists comes with the caveat that it is not a complete list, but it is a good starting point. Google Wikipedia list of flamenco guitarists.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:56 am

Moraito Chico

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 am

Diego del Morao, Vicente Amigo, Antonio Rey, Mahmoud Turkmani, Amir John Hadad ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “The Café”