Great Flamenco artists?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Wesjr1

Re: Great Flamenco artists?

Post by Wesjr1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Carlos Montoya.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

llebron

Post by llebron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Adam del Monte
Luis R. Lebron

Kenro

Post by Kenro » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Grisha Goryachev
Check out my classical guitar arrangement for Schumann's Träumerei (in original key): https://youtu.be/n4QulIit2FU
Guitar: Alhambra 4PA

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Don't forget Enrique de Melchor and Rafael Riqueini. Also Niño Ricardo. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

OOOPPs. I almost forgot Paco Serrano. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks, everyone! This is a great rabbit hole to have fallen into. Maybe 5% of the names provided were familiar. One of these days I really must make a flamenco tour of Spain. The only live flamenco I've seen was one of Paco De Lucia's last performances. It was in the Strathmore concert hall outside of Washington D.C. It was a great, great concert and experience, but it struck me how very much more powerful this would be in a more intimate setting (like around a crackling campfire).
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm
Thanks, everyone! This is a great rabbit hole to have fallen into. Maybe 5% of the names provided were familiar. One of these days I really must make a flamenco tour of Spain. The only live flamenco I've seen was one of Paco De Lucia's last performances. It was in the Strathmore concert hall outside of Washington D.C. It was a great, great concert and experience, but it struck me how very much more powerful this would be in a more intimate setting (like around a crackling campfire).
Might not be easy to see a lot of flamenco in Spain, it's often happenng in Tablaos that are not so public, or in local clubs. There are great Flamenco festivals, though. The places that are advertised a lot are mostly tourist places (although one can get to see some fabulous asrtists there, too).

Fortunately there is a lot of first class material on Youtube. Sometimes it's just one of the younger guys checking a flamenco guitar at some dealer that yields a great little recording.

Of all the younger (well, he's not so young anymore) flamenco players I'd like to especially recommend Diego Del Morao. He hasn't got so many solo recordings, but there are some marvelous takes on YT.
Last edited by rojarosguitar on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:29 am

perico el del lunar, melchor de marchena, diego del gastor, manolo de huelva, niño ricardo, el habichuela, manuel morao (and family), ramon montoya, parrilla de jerez, sabicas, Luis Maravilla, Pepe Martínez, Manuel Molina, Manolo Sanlucar, Tomatito
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Return to “The Café”