What can I do about suction marks and should I try a gitano?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Whiteagle

What can I do about suction marks and should I try a gitano?

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 am

I used an ergoplay for many years and the suction caps left a mark on the guitar. What can I do to remove these?

I have been using a dynorette for the last few years but am thinking of giving a gitano a try but am concerned about it leaving marks.

I have tried a rest which clamps on to the guitar but am concerned about how tight to clamp on to the guitar and damaging it.

Can't use a foot stool due to hip issues.

Quite happy with the dynarette but the gitano has appeal as it looks like its easier to transport and would look better when performing.

Feedback/suggestions are welcome

petermc61

Re: What can I do about suction marks and should I try a gitano?

Post by petermc61 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 am

What finish is your guitar and how old is the finish?

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 am

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 am
What finish is your guitar and how old is the finish?
It is a Matsuoka, japanese factory build guitar, about 10 years old. Not sure about the finish, maybe french polished?

I currently play a kim lissarague but have never put suction caps on it due to what happened with the matsuoka.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 am
I used an ergoplay for many years and the suction caps left a mark on the guitar. What can I do to remove these?
What can be done to remove the marks depends on what kind of finish you have, whether it be French polish, poly, nitro, or acrylic. At any rate, you probably would want a luthier to look at it, as you don't know what type of finish, or how much matte you have to work with.

Some of the rubber used in the suction cups, as well as some of the rubber of certain guitar stands (Hercules for one) leave what amounts to a stain in the finish where the contact occurred. Sometimes they can be buffed up with a little rubbing compound, I've seen others that have required some wet sanding with sand paper.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am

I have used suction cups on quite a few FP guitars without problem. I never leave the stand on when not playing though - only when in use. Two guitars that I have used and left a suction cup imprint on were both nitro finish. Hence, you need to be very cautious with those finishes.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:27 am

I quite like the Efel support with one large sucction cup. It didn't hold very well directly on shellack but with a foil it stays very stable when I moisten the sucction cup a bit - never had it coming off anymore.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm

I used to use an ergoplay but swapped over to the De Oro support a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I use the De Oro support with the De Oro finishield guitar finish protector sheets on my French Polished guitar and have not experienced any issues. The De Oro website does warn against using the finishield sheets with Nitro-Cellulose finishes.

Most of the Kim Lissarrague guitars I have seen are French Polished. Perhaps you could drop Kim an email and ask him whether there are likely to be any issues. I did the same with the Luthier who crafted my guitar and he advised to wait a couple of months for the finish to cure a little more but that I should not experience any major issues after that.

CT20

Post by CT20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Try using Grafix Cling Film...no adhesive, just static cling. Comes in 9" by 12" sheets. I have used it under a Gitano on several guitars for many years with no issues. I do not leave it on any guitar that has had any type of finish applied within the last 8 months...everything needs time to cure.

CT20

Post by CT20 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm

As to the Gitano...used Dynarette cushion for a while, but it didn't feel stable enough. The Gitano is a significant improvement. I've considered trying the De Oro support or the one made by Chris Barnett, but I like the Gitano enough that I haven't tried the others.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 am

Feedback/suggestions are welcome
A very fine polishing (not rubbing) compound such as used for shining up plastic or automobile finishes.

I've used McGuiar's and 3-M brands on French Polish, nitro and acrylic lacquer with good results. Do it by hand with a clean white cotton pad. Don't overdo the application of polish; just a couple of drops at a time.

PS I have to correct myself here.

What I've been using is 3M "Perfect-it II" rubbing compound. I bought a quart of it long ago to polish a motorcycle. You can get something comparable in a smaller size, I'm sure. Avoid anything with silicone in it as that may interfere with future touch up jobs.

I've seen some serious reacions with latex and nitro finished, but unless the damage is through to the wood I don't think these polishes will harm any type of finish.

Return to “The Café”