Played CG for a group of friends?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
georgemarousi

Played CG for a group of friends?

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm

That awkward moment?

I played a bit for 4-5 friends, ( not musicians .. at all.. :) ) and it was quite uncomfortable.

Some were talking at times..

One snoozed his nose so loud I was completely muted for some moments.. lol ( OK, this guy is maybe the opposite of a musician / listener )

Some comments were like "ah, any happier song?"

I didn't complain as I know that the music gift is not for everyone.. But after a few minutes I subtly put the guitar back in.. for good :)

Though CG is obviously not made for everyone, questions about the relations keep arising in my mind after that about CG and relative repertoire;

Where? how? with whom? I do believe that CG has so much to offer :)

What's your opinion - any similar experiences?
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

bert

Re: Played CG for a group of friends?

Post by bert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Didn't they ask you to sing? That's a question that comes along often.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 pm

bert wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Didn't they ask you to sing? That's a question that comes along often.
no.. they know I don't, as that I'm into CG repertoire
--Classicals--
Ramirez 1A 1980
--

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

But I have already had the question from one lady of them in the past, after a "student's concert" I participated: " ehmm, was that .. ehmmm, an electric guitar we call ?? ehmmm.. I ask cause of the microphones.. " :chaud: :chaud: :chaud:
--Classicals--
Ramirez 1A 1980
--

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Lots of us have had similar experiences. Count it as their loss and your cue to find a wider circle of friends and better venues. The nearest hospital, school, library, church or senior center may welcome you with open arms! Make some contacts and offer to present brief programs. Keep at it, and let us know how it goes next time.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm

It is such an acquired taste, developed over many years of listening and honing one's craft, that it is very easy to forget that in many cases it is probably wasted on a general audience, sadly. They don't really know what to listen out for, are used to hearing music with a drum beat (not an internal beat), and for them, it probably all sounds very similar.

The only analogy is I can think of is perhaps if somebody offered to read to you four or five sonnets by Shakespeare that they had been practising. I presume you would have the manners to listen quietly, but unless you were familiar with each poem and its subtleties and its scope for re-interpretation, it might all sound a bit "samey".

The only music that I have ever used to capture the attention of a general audience is a rhumba, with lots of slapping, etc.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Once 40 years ago at Christmas I was drunk on Southern Comfort, and I was cajoled into playing the oboe by an uncle, although I had explained that my reed was broken and I was awaiting a new one in the post.

5 years ago that uncle said to me "you played me the oboe once, and, frankly, you wasn't (sic) very good."

Don't do it - pearls before swine!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Guitar Nut

Post by Guitar Nut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Sounds as if you don't know your audience very well. Why not have something "happier" in your repertoire for just those occasions? As well as the usual classical pieces, I try to have memorised a few from different genres, some folk, some pop, and here's an easy one that can't be accused of not being "happy":

viewtopic.php?t=35726

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm

With so many distractions and the dwindling attention span of most people in our modern times, I find playing outside the train station is about right. In the SF Bay Area I can do this most of the year. Leave your case open and earn some gas money. But it's a good match. People listen as much as the like, or have time for, then walk on. I've had people listen for several songs, some for only a few measures, and some not at all. I pad my income this way! :roll:

My circle of friends are all musicians and luthiers. So when we gather, the guitars almost always come out. My friends love baroque and Renaissance music, which I do too. So there is very little conflict in that regard.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing . . . it's a waste of time . . .and annoys the pig. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

I understand what you are saying. I really worry about the future of classical music in general, not just guitar. The piano can be absolutely beautiful by itself but even in church people will talk through a beautiful prelude. I used to play a lot of rock and pop on electric guitar so I am used to people requesting popular songs. However, when I am playing classical guitar I do not do sing alongs or hum and strum tunes. Classical requires a different atmosphere and when you find the right venue with people who are quiet and appreciative it's wonderful!

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm
With so many distractions and the dwindling attention span of most people in our modern times, I find playing outside the train station is about right. In the SF Bay Area I can do this most of the year. Leave your case open and earn some gas money. But it's a good match. People listen as much as the like, or have time for, then walk on. I've had people listen for several songs, some for only a few measures, and some not at all. I pad my income this way! :roll:

My circle of friends are all musicians and luthiers. So when we gather, the guitars almost always come out. My friends love baroque and Renaissance music, which I do too. So there is very little conflict in that regard.
My nephew plays in SF a lot. :)
Help!

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I applaud your grit. Sharing the music adds a mental dimension that I don’t think there’s any way to practice for. Your description is of an audience that I would consider unworthy of second thought.

I played for the first time in front of nonfamily a few weeks back and it was an eye opening for me. I played terribly, but had the great fortune of choosing an audience of supportive and experienced guitarists all of whom knew exactly what strange and terrifying sensations and emotions I was grappling with.

I received hearty (and undeserved) applause, and then genuinely thanked the audience. I’ve thanked audiences before... after delivering a talk, thanking them for their attention, after being recognized with an award, that sort of thing. This time I actually said it because I felt a sense of gratitude for being allowed to experience music in this new way. I was truly grateful.

I’m a beginner and I don’t really have designs on becoming a highly accomplished musician, but I say that because I’m now starting to understand some of what highly accomplished musicians have achieved. I don’t think I was equipped to appreciate guitar until I started to play. So, when other people who don’t play “don’t get it”, I’m not upset.

I hope you can find a group like I have, or you can find enough guitarists to start one. There’s dimensions of magic in music when shared in a group that I didn’t realize were there when I was passive audience. Everyone should have a chance to experience this. It connects with something basic and human inside which defies explanation. Some folks are maybe too far gone to be able to revive this primordial truth which is sad, but it’s not your fault and it’s not your role to resuscitate them.

... That is, unless you decide to make it your role. If so, charge that windmill and don’t look back!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 am

Unless they are musicians themselves, I think you either have to:-
a. play something well-known - Cavatina might just do it but not sure if it's as well known as it used to be so maybe an arrangement of something like a Beatles track or whatever's popular these days - Coldplay used to be but I'm probably not up to date now, or
b. play something flashy or fast e.g. flamenco-type piece with tremolo and rasguedo, or something like, say el colibri or
c. just give them an very short example i.e. no repeats or just a few bars and then see if they want more.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:43 am

I did this recently with similar results. Try to see it as a teaching moment. I set up a chair up front like they were going to get a recital, maybe the first for some, which they were. I sat and waited until everyone’s attention was focused on me. It was an uncomfortable pause, but they eventually got the idea. Then I played and they listened quietly and enjoyed it I think. I moved right into another piece and they listened some more. After that someone did ask “do you sing?” Pretty funny. There was a discussion about who is your favorite guitarist. Then I played some more. I talked about some of the pieces, composers and my guitar builder. Eventually their attention span was reached. When they started to converse I stopped and put the guitar away.

I’ve felt for a while that most of my pieces are melancholy, sad or romantic. Much of the repertoire is I think. So I have been keeping a watch out for “happy” pieces I can add to my gold set list. I like Brazilian choros (Sons de Carrihoes) and some happier Sor tunes (Minuet in C) or Bach Musette.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “The Café”