Low volume on my computer speakers

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Low volume on my computer speakers

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm

My computer speakers suddenly have low volume. Turning up as high as it will go only yields about typical middle volume. I clicked on the little speaker icon in the lower right, but it is up as high as it can go. Is there anything I can do/try.

Thanks -
Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Andrew Pohlman

Re: Low volume on my computer speakers

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Oh my - lots can go wrong. Assuming 1) everything used to work, and 2) the amp and speakers are not the problem, then first, check all connections and wiggle/rotate in the jacks to get a good connection. Also realize that each app has a separate slider in the system mixer. Don't just look at the master slider - look at them all. Sometimes the slider responsible for the sound you want is not the app you think ! Also, my sound system has a physical master volume pot. It gets bumped by various nefarious activities on my physical desktop. If you have such a master pot, check that. Last thing I can think of is that games can and will alter the sound card settings. If you loaded a new game, it probably set the master volume on the sound card really low. Get the sound card app from the MFG and adjust as needed.

UPDATED: Additionally, check your source(s). If the source got wonky and wimpy, that could be it. A/B compare two sources. If one is strong and the other wimpy, there's your answer.

Good luck troubleshooting!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm not sure, I'm still checking, but there's a possibility that's it's only happening on You Tube. Is there a separate slider for You Tube, and if so how do I find it? Thanks.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 am

It was the slider on You Tube.

dory

Post by dory » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 am

I have almost no volume on itunes. My speakers work fine for everything else. I hate itunes.
Dory

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 pm

I found that there are up to half a dozen separate virtual volume controls in a pc/laptop. Good luck finding them all! Failing that, after more than 10 years of personal computing, I bought my first set of external speakers a few months ago - great investment for a musician! Erm, not much use if you can't find which internal volume control is skew-whiff, though. If you have an audio card (I don't think I do, at least, the video is so bad, I know I haven't got a video card), then it may be a hardware problem, which could be bad news.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Return to “The Café”