Sage Works guitar support

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

Sage Works guitar support

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 am

Anybody enjoying this support? I ordered one, considering that suction cups probably wouldn't work too well on a natural oil finish, also, I think the magnets just make sense. I hate stuff that isn't sturdy or supportive.

It looks like a nice stand and I hope I can make it work. The magnet installation looks a little tricky.

I can't wait to try one. I've never used a support and I hate foot stools.

henry dumay

Re: Sage Works guitar support

Post by henry dumay » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 am

It works great.. on both of my guitars.
Magnet install looks tricky but is really easy if you follow instructions carefully.
It is really solid, but pops right on and off easily for storage.
The support itself, of course, is adjustable... it needs to be adjusted so
that the magnets (on outside of guitar) si perfectly flat for max solidity.

Henry......
2000 Olivo Chiliquinga Grand Concert (Equador)

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 am

I'm using the Guitarlift and love it. It's simple and works far better than other supports I've tried. That said, it uses suction cups. It's had no effect whatsoever on the French polish of my guitar--over about a year's use. You mention a natural oil finish. I can't speak to that. I avoided suction cups for years out of fear for my guitar body. These fears turned out to be groundless.

In any case the Guitarlift attaches to the back of the guitar, if that makes a difference.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:03 am

Jefferey...yes but the Guitarlift...costs more and has less adjustment features.

One of the reasons I went with the Sage Works is that it has more adjustment than conventional suction cup designs.

If the Guitarlift works for you great. But I'm not willing to pay that kind of money. The Guitar lift is nothing more than an acrylic piece with holes drilled for suction cuts, the contoured leg rest portion of the Guitarlift is a curved cut of the acrylic with a foam piece of weather stripping type foam. I'm fairly certain I could DIY my own design like that for well under 40$...yet it costs 92$ according to the german website.

The Sageworks, allows adjustment on the leg rest portion that is to say it can be pivoted and the height can be adjusted.

I should have the support sometime this week for review. One of the reasons I went with this particular support design is that I don't think I could DYI a design with comparable adjustment features sand save much money.

The Guitar lift does not allow adjustment of the leg rest...the Sageworks allows pivoting of the leg rest portion, so it can be out or in.

I have no idea if I need that feature or not...but I'd rather buy a fully adjustable support, than risk buying a fixed support, knowing I may or may not like it.

This one seems interesting. I hope it works.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:13 am

Well actually the guitarlift is highly adjustable. First, from where you attach the suction cups to the guitar. Second,there are a series of closely spaced holes at the edges that allow the cups to be fixed to a near infinite number of positions. I've never needed to do this; the first adjustment mentioned has worked fine for me.

But all of this is highly individual, so go with what works by all means! to me the design of "knee support attached to a pole" style supports feels precarious.

Anyway, I'm far too clumsy to diy a support of any kind.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

montana

Post by montana » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:18 am

The support you ordered can not be beat! Nothing comes close. Very tricky magnet install though.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Sage Works is phenomenal! It is very adjustable and doesn't harm the finish. If you have large hands, then you may need to enlist the aid of a smaller-handed person to attach the magnets.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm

tubeman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Sage Works is phenomenal! It is very adjustable and doesn't harm the finish. If you have large hands, then you may need to enlist the aid of a smaller-handed person to attach the magnets.
I asked my wife!
Yamaha GC-31

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 am

Yvon wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm
tubeman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:46 pm
I asked my wife!
Same here.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

dory

Post by dory » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:36 am

Can you post a picture. I love my Barnett support but just want to see what thus one looks like.
Dory

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:50 am

dory wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:36 am
Can you post a picture. I love my Barnett support but just want to see what thus one looks like.
Sage Works = Barnett! All the same, as Barnett sold the business, now called Sage Works.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

dory

Post by dory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:33 am

Ok. Ok. Then I know intimately what it looks like. GREAT support.
Dory

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:27 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 am
Anybody enjoying this support? I ordered one, considering that suction cups probably wouldn't work too well on a natural oil finish, also, I think the magnets just make sense. I hate stuff that isn't sturdy or supportive.

It looks like a nice stand and I hope I can make it work. The magnet installation looks a little tricky.

So Messy...are you lovin’ the Sage.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 am

Just got mine installed on one of my guitars and totally loving it after trying cushions, suction cups based devices, etc. I am going to install the magnets on my other guitar too. It is well made, can be set up with a fair degree of control and is rock solid. Absolutely love mine.

Edit: I did not have any problems with installing the magnets at all. I took off all the strings to make it easy.

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:26 am

How much weight do the parts (the magnets?) attached inside the guitar add to the weight of the guitar? I tried to find the answer to this question on the Sageworks web site without success.

Return to “The Café”