Do you care what your car looks like - Are Honda Crv's ugly?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
glassynails

Do you care what your car looks like - Are Honda Crv's ugly?

Post by glassynails » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 am

Hi. I've driven Subarus for the past 20 years mostly and am coming to a 6 six year end with my 2003 Forester which I bought in 2011 at 8 years old. Due to problems with Head gaskets and now oil consumption in the newer ones I am thinking for my next "used" car to maybe get a Honda Crv as I do like 4wd or awd since I live in snowy Maine.

Anyways, I haven't driven one yet, but I see tons of Crv's up here in Maine. The only problem is I can't help think that they're very ugly looking for some reason. Come to think of it, so are Subaru Foresters, but I think for some reason I've gotten used to Foresters being ugly and really like how the drive and feel - or at least my 03 Forester does.

So should I be worrying about if a car is "ugly" or not and consider other reasons for buying it? Would you worry about how ugly your car or truck was?
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Peter Lovett

Re: Do you care what your car looks like - Are Honda Crv's ugly?

Post by Peter Lovett » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 am

Yes they are ugly but so are all SUVs'. There should be a special place in hell for them and their drivers.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 am

Depends on the generation you are looking at - old ones are a bit odd, the new one rather swish (in UK market anyhow).
Certainly should be reliable, but no idea how competant the 4WD is. How deep does the snow get?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:33 am

Peter Lovett wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 am
Yes they are ugly but so are all SUVs'. There should be a special place in hell for them and their drivers.
Yay! I'd ban 'em.

Claughton

Post by Claughton » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Mazda CX-5 gets good reviews over here in UK. Not too big and not bad looking. Comes with 4 wheel drive I think , so good in snow.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 pm

I've driven a 2011 CRV since brand new. I like it a lot. As for appearance? Eh, most modern vehicles are pretty non descript, so it fits in with the rest of the road.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 pm

There seems to be a rule that reliable vehicles are boring, ugly, and under-performing, while better-designed and higher-performing vehicles are less reliable.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:25 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 pm
There seems to be a rule that reliable vehicles are boring, ugly, and under-performing, while better-designed and higher-performing vehicles are less reliable.
If only that rule only applied to vehicles...

doug

Post by doug » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 pm

I bought my daughter a 4wheel drive CRV when she was in college at Appalachian State, in Boone,NC. They get quite a bit of snow. She is still driving it, fifteen years and about 200,000 mi later....and she really likes it!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:57 pm

I'll take a vintage Dodge D100 with a slant six and four speed transmission...anytime :) Looks are one thing...but so is dependability. The compromise in gas mileage comes with the reward of...aww shucks the fuel pump done went out...two bolts later...she's up and running again.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:55 pm

I loved my Honda crv! And yes, I had an AWD model and it handled snow very well indeed. It was never in the shop except for routine stuff--low maintenance. And it could carry dogs or a variety of loads, including skis, just great because of the fold down back seats. I inherited a much newer car so I sold my CRV, but only reluctantly. MIne had about 180,000 miles on it.

And no I didn't find it ugly at all.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Go German, man - you'll never look back. Or ugly!
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:32 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:04 pm

My cars are a 1st generation RAV4 and a Element - the boxy cousin of the CRV. Years earlier I had a 2 door Troooper II.

So you could say I prefer a boxy look. Actually its interior utility that attracts me.

I need to replace the RAV but there aren't many small boxes on the market. The new RAV and CRV are too big and nondescript. The KIA Soul has an attractive quirkiness, but I'm strongly leaning toward the Fit.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:18 pm

glassynails wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 am

Anyways, I haven't driven one yet, but I see tons of Crv's up here in Maine. The only problem is I can't help think that they're very ugly looking for some reason.

So should I be worrying about if a car is "ugly" or not and consider other reasons for buying it? Would you worry about how ugly your car or truck was?
Yes, they are very ugly. And this for me a giant reason not to consider a car. When you think of it, engines these days are so complex and computerized, and working well, there is really nothing anymore to 'looking under the hood' as a factor in choosing a car. it is all about the outside (and what you see as a driver on the inside when driving); and price, after that. But I wouldn't buy an ugly car regardless of price. And if someone gifts one to me, I'd sell it ASAP :D
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “The Café”