Do you care what your car looks like - Are Honda Crv's ugly?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
dory

Re: Do you care what your car looks like - Are Honda Crv's ugly?

Post by dory » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Glassy, You have the same kind of guitar as me. Are we twins separated at birth?
Dory

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:35 am

$12000 with AWD? I'm guessing that would be a 2010 cute-ute with 70000miles. I've been looking at used cars, but smaller. And don't think I need AWD. My 2003 Element is adequate for that. It has the same AWD systems as 1st and 2nd gen CRVs.

Look at the owner forums for the models that interest you. I used to be active on the RAV4WORLD and Element Owners Club. There were lots of discussions about the merits of the AWD systems and how they work. Also about tires, and mechanical problems.

People often dismissed the Honda RT4WD as being too reactive, applying rear power after the fact (in response to front wheel spin). Supposedly Subaru's all time 4wd was better. The RAV4 was also all-time. But I found that the Element did better on a icy hill start, for two reasons. The automatic's 2nd gear did not downshift, so I could apply power more gently and thus have less wheel spin. And it seemed to have a better directional stability in slippery conditions. The RAV is more likely to drift off to one side when spinning. Equally important in snow is braking performance, which has nothing to do with AWD. But I haven't kept track of newer traction systems, whether AWD or brake based.

I assume in Maine you are used to changing tires for winter. We don't usually do that around Seattle unless we are snow bunnies. If conditions are bad on the mountain passes they require chains, first for trucks and then for everyone (except 4wd).

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am

HNLim wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:30 am
This is my "ugly" car still in pristine condition which is due for scrape in less than 2 months time. Unfortunately for us here in Singapore, we can only own our cars for 10 years.
With that kind of rule I guess there must be quite an export trade of "old" cars from Singapore to other places that drive on the left. There used to be quite a business (maybe still is) in the British isles importing used cars and also second hand motors from Japan. Who knows maybe some were in fact from Singapore but we didn't know it.

Singapore style rules might be beneficial in many countries but in Europe at any rate the car lobby is way too powerful for that to happen.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:13 pm

dory wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:58 pm
I just inherited my father's Ford C-Max Energi. It is a plug in hybrid. I like it because it is paid for and has only 15,000 miles. My husband hates it because it is ugly and wants to trade it in on another car. I guess I am willing but it seems a waste. I like the gas mileage on the C-Max.
I am with you. Keep the C-Max. It is plain daft to get rid of debt free top of the range car with 15k miles on it. I don't find the c-max particularly ugly. Ford in general seems to have gone for "dull but boring" in terms of design (in Europe) over the last few years. I just got rid of my B-Max as I wanted something a bit more "boxy" and got a Berlingo. I don't think the PSA group are in the US. The Berlingo won't get a beauty prize either but you can fit a lot of stuff into it. A bit big for around here but popular with tradesmen for load carrying. (Boxy but Boring).

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am

simonm wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am
HNLim wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:30 am
This is my "ugly" car still in pristine condition which is due for scrape in less than 2 months time. Unfortunately for us here in Singapore, we can only own our cars for 10 years.
With that kind of rule I guess there must be quite an export trade of "old" cars from Singapore to other places that drive on the left. There used to be quite a business (maybe still is) in the British isles importing used cars and also second hand motors from Japan. Who knows maybe some were in fact from Singapore but we didn't know it.

Singapore style rules might be beneficial in many countries but in Europe at any rate the car lobby is way too powerful for that to happen.
BTW, this "ugly" car costs around S$100k or US$70k to buy and use it for 10 years and not including road tax plus insurance and petrol at around US$1.80 per litre.

Tomzooki

Post by Tomzooki » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

hpaulj wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:01 pm
Tomzooki wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Believe me, it may not be a Smart or a Chevy Spark, but in the prospect to drive outside cities areas in Quebec winter it is tiny. ....
Back in 2010 a team of Smart's drove the Dempster to Inuvik. They got quite a bit of press in the auto mags and even CBC.
They did it on purpose, and were proffessionnal drivers :P

Believe me, you don’t want to be caught by surprise in a snow quall driving a smart. I know somebedy who had an accident because of a snow quall, he was driving a Toyota echo, and as soon as the wind hitted the car he was out of the road. He could have hit another car coming the other way....

Last winter I had my first experience of what is a snow quall. « Bourrasque de neige » here in Quebec. I had to go far outside the city for work. I passed my life in Quebec city, so for me winter conditions were what I experienced in the city. I knew it could be different in rural areas, but was not fully aware of the difference. There was a meteo warning of « bourrasques de neige »; I thought it meant that there would be strong winds blowing ground snow (here that is called « poudrerie »). I learned that day what is a snow quall.... it is a sudden blizzard... Everything is OK and nice, no strong wind, no snow, good visibility, then BANG!! The wind hits, with tons of snow, you can see nothing - that is what is called « white-out » condition, it is as if somebody has stuck a white paper on the windshield, and when it happened I was driving on a curvy country road at 90 km/h, with cars coming the other way.... I have never been frightened like that in my life! 2 minutes after it is over, I thought OK it is finished, but no, some minutes after it hits again, then resume, then come back.... It is worse than a snow storm because it is unpredictable
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:44 pm

snow quall puzzled me for a bit, though I got the idea from your description. You are missing an 's':

« bourrasques de neige » snow squall

(I first read it as 'snow quail', though the closest thing in the Arctic is the ptarmigan. :) ).

When I drove the Dempster in the late 80s (in a S10 pickup), we passed a convoy of small FIats. Apparently they'd driven north from Vancouver, switched drivers in Inuvik and returned. Most had roof top tents. My pickup had a campertop that opened up into a tent. In Inuvik we took a tourist flight to Tuk. The big news this was the opening of the year around road to Tuk.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:53 am

HNLim wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am
BTW, this "ugly" car costs around S$100k or US$70k to buy and use it for 10 years and not including road tax plus insurance and petrol at around US$1.80 per litre.
I have a friend who lives in SG. He explained the system to me. You have to pay more to get "permission" to own a car than most people pay for the car. I was quite surprised when he explained it. I too have a 10 year old which was my main vehicle for 8 years. My 10 year cost including taxes, maintenance and insurance but not fuel has been something around US$40k. On the other hand Germany has a much lower population density (230 vs 7800 per km2) than SG and of course the car industry is immensely powerful and important to the economy there so everything is in favor of cars. So I guess your rules are about the only way of ensuring that there is space left to move about in. :-)

razz

Post by razz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Compared to my Honda Element, the CRV is beautiful. I can probably adapt to the appearance of any vehicle as long as it meets my functional needs.

I know a few CRV owners. None of them are unhappy with the performance of the CRV.

My 2005 Element must last at least 2 more years.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 am

Get that old ugly CRV and turn it into a real snow car :)

https://jalopnik.com/i-am-absolutely-on ... 626423/amp

montana

Post by montana » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:49 am

Yes many think the crv is ugly. But I love mine for one reason. I'm so Damn handsome, that I look like a normal guy driving around the city.

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:39 am

We had a CRV for a number of years. My wife liked it, but I hated it. I never thought of it as ugly, but it wasn't attractive, either. What I discovered from this experience is that SUVs are for city people. We live in the country, and I found the car to be singularly impractical. It just cost a lot of money to maintain, but wasn't good for much of anything. Since then I've been driving a samurai truck, and wouldn't have anything else. Even my wife switched to a hatchback subcompact.

Return to “The Café”