My pawned instrument showed up again...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MessyTendon

My pawned instrument showed up again...

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 am

An oddball banjo mandolin, that was unplayable, I once sold to a pawn shop for I believe 90$...

Then it comes up for sale on consign for 375$...now that I think about it, I'd like it back, but at 300$ for a basket case instrument, i have to let go of sentimental feelings. It's neat, but needs frets, a neck re-set, a newly tensioned skin, and a nut...

Yet somehow, I'm tempted to go buy it back...The owner who i know is likely the pawn owner, is lowering the price to 300$...

I think I'm going to keep pestering the shop to call him. I offered 250$...and he declined. So I think I'll leave it be.

Sad to see it, but what good does an unplayable instrument do? So much for the christmas spirit huh. Bahhumbug.

Bill

Re: My pawned instrument showed up again...

Post by Bill » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:25 am

It sounds like you would like to have it back & have the oportunity. How important is the $50 to you?
More guitars than 1 boy could ever possibly need

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:58 am

Let it go my friend. The mark up is like 200%. Plus, you still need to fix it. I think pawn shops are despicable. They over price everything that they sell, and take advantage of desperate people, offering chicken poop for musical instruments and other things that people are desperate to sell.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 am

That reminds me of a strange thing that happened to my wife a few weeks ago. She donated some clothes to Goodwill and about a month later came home with some clothes she had found at, you guessed it, Goodwill. She was so happy because she saved money on one of the outfits and it fit a grandkid and you should have seen the look on her face when I pointed out that it was one of the outfits she donated...true story. And who said getting old isn't fun!
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm

You could try playing Bach on it...maybe that's been the missing element all along. that, and a harmonica.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Wait - you want to buy back a broken instrument for a 200% markup ? Um, that makes no sense to me at all. Let it go. Unless there is some profound sentimental reason for reacquiring it...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

slidika

Post by slidika » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Maybe buy it, fix it, play it for a while and then pawn it again . . . :D
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Return to “The Café”