Can I be the Grinch and say Bach and guitar don't mix...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Michael.N.

Re: Can I be the Grinch and say Bach and guitar don't mix...

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:57 am

Now Bach on theorbo can sound wonderful. . . . . and it's still a plucked stringed instrument.
I have that flute sonata that ddray linked to, played by Michala Petri on recorder and Keith Jarrett on harpsichord. I much prefer it to the guitar version but then again there's two of them! The guitar should really be playing just the harpsichord part. Might be fairer to compare guitar versions to those on the piano. I can't say I've ever particularly liked piano versions of the chaconne, much prefer the guitar for that particular piece.
Historicalguitars.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part, since I'll never be able to play the Chaconne...but there are many other pieces by Bach that I prefer to this.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:57 am
.... Might be fairer to compare guitar versions to those on the piano. I can't say I've ever particularly liked piano versions of the chaconne, much prefer the guitar for that particular piece.
On second thought, you're right. After hearing it again, piano transcriptions are even less effective. The Chaconne may just be one of those pieces that work best on the "original" instrument (if we can call it that).

Conall

Post by Conall » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm

It's a free world - if you choose not to play or listen to Bach on the guitar that's up to you. For you the guitar & Bach don't mix but for those for whom Bach is the greatest composer of all time & who also love & play the guitar it's only natural to combine the two. If you don't like the lack of power of your guitar you could buy a double top / lattice braced guitar & learn how to project. If you need more range buy a 7-15 string guitar. If you don't like the existing transcriptions & arrangements make your own.

It would be fairer to state that you don't like Bach on the guitar than to make a provocative statement like "they don't mix". You are only one of many of course who feel that way (particularly non guitarists) but that doesn't make it a fact - just a question of personal taste. Although I like Bach played well on almost any serious / classical instrument you could argue that your chosen instruments for Bach are inadequate in different ways in that neither organ (apart from with the crude swell pedal) or harpsichord are able to play graduated dynamics unlike the guitar. They also cannot do vibrato or portamento or the same level of timbre variation as the guitar.

Me? I'll continue to do my best with playing Bach on the guitar (also on the piano but with less success) until some Bach-hating dictator ruling the UK or Scotland executes me or some medical condition incapacitates me.

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Dear Messy,

Even the Grinch got it figured out in the end:

"Well, in Whoville they say - that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day (that he played Bach on his guitar). And then - the true meaning of Christmas came through, and the Grinch found the strength of ten Grinches, plus two!

Happy playing in 2018, and I believe it's time to "Bach On!"

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:54 pm

I think you're all Bach-ing up the wrong tree!

sorry, the dodgy puns had dried up and it was getting serious :smorfia:
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 am

jhapgood wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm
"Well, in Whoville they say - that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of Christmas came through, and the Grinch found the strength of ten Grinches, plus two!"
I watch it every year and see it with a new perspective each time.

Three works anyone working in the arts should study:

A Hunger Artist
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Ratatouille

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 am

duplicate

Return to “The Café”