Santa came and went...what did you get?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: Santa came and went...what did you get?

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 pm
I don't have mine yet ... but "the boss" says that I may commission a new instrument. So, what to choose?
Get a Gore - assuming you can navigate the shipping from Australia.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

a human

Post by a human » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
a human wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:31 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 pm
Fat ... I got fat. My son and I made a huge amount of hot cross buns, popcorn balls, sugar plums, jam, persimmon muffins. And on top of all that, we made a Christmas Breakfast feast for the extended family of eggs, sausage, ham, pancakes, fruit, and much more ... I am now eating up the leftovers. Yeah. I got fat for Christmas. :D
I thought hot cross buns were for Easter?
It does state in the Laurel Kitchen Bread Book that they serve hot cross buns at Easter. But I don't think they are limited to a particular season. In our family, we have always baked them up during the Christmas Season.
I'm sure they taste just as good whenever you eat them! I have fond memories of my mom's cousin making them from scratch for Easter. Cousin Mary was a terrific bread baker. For Christmas, she made the best, yummiest fruitcake. I still miss her and her homemade goodies.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:04 am

I got a lot more tea and chocolate. Also two pairs of new trousers. And I did get some time to spend with my family and friends.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote: I don't have mine yet ... but "the boss" says that I may commission a new instrument. So, what to choose?
Get a Gore - assuming you can navigate the shipping from Australia.
Why Gore Andrew? I found one demo on the Tube from "fineluthiersgallery" - a good looking instrument but certainly not remarkable in terms of sound (though, to be fair, the recording is poor in that regard). Can you point me at any other links? It would have to be nothing short of magnificent to push aside my current concert instrument - in fact I'm replete as far as 6-stringers go so I'm probably looking at either a Stauffer (8) or Lacote (7). I have a couple of builders in mind but any leads are welcome.

re. hot cross buns - they were always Easter cakes in our house - and not to be touched until Good Friday. My grandmother said that the spices represented the embalmed body of Jesus, a repulsive thought to me as a child, though not enough to prevent their rapid and greedy consumption. The butter, by the way, should be at least thick enough to leave denture modelling (if it hasn't melted).

Happily none of the religious aspects managed to get claws in - somehow just the greed seems to have prevailed, allowing me to join you in enjoying them at any season.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:44 am

I don't have mine yet ... but "the boss" says that I may commission a new instrument. So, what to choose?
Stephen Hill, listen to Gary Ryan and Manus Noble on you tube .... best guitar for the money.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 am

Socks, jocks and chocs (as usual) and quite a few bottles of wine
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:I don't have mine yet ... but "the boss" says that I may commission a new instrument. So, what to choose?
Stephen Hill, listen to Gary Ryan and Manus Noble on you tube .... best guitar for the money.
At this level I guess it comes down to taste Gary - I've heard GR live many times and played two or three Hill guitars (a couple of friends have them) but so far they don't do it for me. I can't put my finger on quite what it is that doesn't appeal - easy to play certainly, rich middle and positively luxurious bass but there's something very slightly nasal in the tone that I just don't enjoy (I don't mean like that horrible Smallman noise). My wife on the other hand disagrees completely.

I've just sold a Mikhail Robert which I'd describe as the exact opposite of a Hill - a deep, sweet, resonant and personal sound, full of individual character - one might say "organic" in that you can almost "feel" the wood, whereas the Hills are (to me) just a bit more like highly efficient machines. Lovely instruments, predictable in quality but somehow impersonal. My ideal is something between the two.

Just out of interest, I'm not in the market for another "standard" instrument (yet), what's your opinion of the Gore? I'm not aware of having heard one live.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:11 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Stephen Hill, listen to Gary Ryan and Manus Noble on you tube .... best guitar for the money.
An afterthought Gary - what instrument is Sean Shibe playing?

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:11 pm
Gary Macleod wrote:Stephen Hill, listen to Gary Ryan and Manus Noble on you tube .... best guitar for the money.
An afterthought Gary - what instrument is Sean Shibe playing?
Sean plays a Kwakkell guitar, as for the Gore I've not heard one live and it's so hard to tell from a recording.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:48 am

A beautiful new 2017 Yulong Guo chamber guitar...I knew what I was getting because I bought it for myself...and a calendar and a day planner...had a wonderful Christmas with the grandkids and family.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:34 am

An official NFL Patriots winter toque, just like Tom Brady's! If you're not from Canada or New England, a toque is a knit beanie hat.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 am

I got a bottle of titebond, but then came to my senses...I need hide glue...another excuse not to build a guitar...but this year...oh yes, it will be built.

Briant

Post by Briant » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:00 am

My wife bought me a beautiful solid oak music stand. It looks to good to place my battered scores on it.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 am

Briant wrote:My wife bought me a beautiful solid oak music stand. It looks to good to place my battered scores on it.
Battered scores - yum - you must have some tasty arrangements.

That sounds great - how does it work out practically? i.e. Will it hold more than two A4 sheets, and what is the lowest height setting? Any chance of a pic alongside your playing chair?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 am

Other half bought an oud. Not sure I wanted an oud but I'm now the owner of one. I'm still very grateful though, honest!
Historicalguitars.

Return to “The Café”