Santa came and went...what did you get?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
JRomano

Re: Santa came and went...what did you get?

Post by JRomano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 am

I got some nice bluetooth headphones, so I can watch YouTube guitar videos on the telly late at night without disturbing anyone.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 am
Other half bought an oud. Not sure I wanted an oud but I'm now the owner of one. I'm still very grateful though, honest!
Is that a British thing? Maybe they understand what an oud is but I'm lost...and maybe it's not very good if you didn't want it.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Briant

Post by Briant » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 am
Briant wrote:My wife bought me a beautiful solid oak music stand. It looks to good to place my battered scores on it.
Battered scores - yum - you must have some tasty arrangements. :lol:

That sounds great - how does it work out practically? i.e. Will it hold more than two A4 sheets, and what is the lowest height setting? Any chance of a pic alongside your playing chair?
Attached you will see a couple of photos. I have lowered the stand by around 100mm by sawing the internal support pillar (this is easy) it is possible to take another 50mm of the height.
The height from floor to bottom of music tray is 750mm.
The stand is very stable and a huge improvement to my old wire stand. however it is not possible to hold music open using clothes pegs due to the thickness of the wood.
The stand adjustment is very easy and holds 3 sheets of A4 although they do overlap the stand a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 am

Briant wrote:Attached you will see a couple of photos.
Thanks very much for taking that trouble Brian - very nice.

Not sure it's low enough for my primary purpose (in fact not at all sure that such a stand exists) but I'm sick of the metal ones and this may be a good alternative for teaching.What brand is it and is it still adjustable after the surgery?

Briant

Post by Briant » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 am

Not sure it's low enough for my primary purpose (in fact not at all sure that such a stand exists) but I'm sick of the metal ones and this may be a good alternative for teaching.What brand is it and is it still adjustable after the surgery?
[/quote]

Yes it is still adjustable (although not to the same height) and the stand is made by Stentor.
Maybe you need to see one in a showroom and see if you can modify it to meet your needs.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

My family honored my wishes about what not to get. I told them all please do not get me a book - I already have one.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am
Michael.N. wrote:
Other half bought an oud. Not sure I wanted an oud but I'm now the owner of one. I'm still very grateful though, honest!
Is that a British thing? Maybe they understand what an oud is but I'm lost...and maybe it's not very good if you didn't want it.
If someone gave me an oud, I would be very happy.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote: I don't have mine yet ... but "the boss" says that I may commission a new instrument. So, what to choose?
Get a Gore - assuming you can navigate the shipping from Australia.
Why Gore Andrew? I found one demo on the Tube from "fineluthiersgallery" - a good looking instrument but certainly not remarkable in terms of sound (though, to be fair, the recording is poor in that regard). Can you point me at any other links? It would have to be nothing short of magnificent to push aside my current concert instrument - in fact I'm replete as far as 6-stringers go so I'm probably looking at either a Stauffer (8) or Lacote (7). I have a couple of builders in mind but any leads are welcome....
Why a Gore? Because everyone who heard the guitar he made for me has been blown away by the tone, amazing resonances, articulation, note separation, projection and volume. Currently, that guitar is the opening pic on Trevor's website's. Any YouTube recording will fail to capture or reproduce the amazing sound.

Also, Gore wrote the book on modern guitar physics. And having discussed this face to face with him, I can tell you his knowledge is awesome and translates to awesome guitar design and construction. His knowledge and skills are world class.

I'm not suggesting a Gore would displace your current concert instrument. But if you are looking for a seriously well made guitar, Gore should be on your short list of luthiers. I will make a recording of my guitar sometime this year, but unlikely in time for your decision process.

Good luck choosing a luthier and on completion of your Christmas commission!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Isn't an oud a rather strange looking character from 'Doctor Who' ?

:wink:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 am

martinardo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm
Isn't an oud a rather strange looking character from 'Doctor Who' ?

:wink:
No... it's a British thing... you can only find them over in Britney...I asked my wife for one and she said: "Sorry honey. I can't get you one until you take me on vacation to the UK" Yeah, that's going to happen...I could buy a new guitar for what a plane ticket cost.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 am
Michael.N. wrote:
She teaches in the middle east, hence the oud was brought over as a surprise present. She doesn't play a musical instrument but she does know what a lute is, even before she met me. Ouds are certainly available in the UK though. With guitar making, vihuela and the piano it's just finding the time to learn to play it.
Historicalguitars.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 am

Odds are it's a beautiful oud and probably sounds great...thanks for sharing. If you every get time, what are the odds of posting a picture of your oud?

Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:56 pm

It's not a finely made oud. Having said that the set up seems perfectly within the parameters of the lute, at least in terms of action at the nut and the body joint. There's nothing about this particular oud that prevents anyone from learning the basics and probably quite a bit more. That's all that one can ask for. I doubt I will ever become good enough that I will outgrow it. Then again life can come up with strange outcomes.
Historicalguitars.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Santa is pretty unreliable in my neck of the woods, so I am forced to address the issue myself! :). I ended up with a Ramirez 1A copy that seems pretty decent and also the Soundbrenner device. Now if only I could buy talent...

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 pm

RaajShinde wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 pm
Santa is pretty unreliable in my neck of the woods, so I am forced to address the issue myself! :). I ended up with a Ramirez 1A copy that seems pretty decent and also the Soundbrenner device. Now if only I could buy talent...

Cheers!
If it's talent you need, I could give you some of mine...However it's very small and in short supply as I have very little of it ha ha!😅 My talent isn't so much a gift as a stocking stuffer. Kind of like the matchbox cars I put in the grand kids stockings!

Return to “The Café”