What makes up your hifi?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Luuttuaja

Re: What makes up your hifi?

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am

I have a Yamaha R-N602 Stereo receiver/amplifier, Yamaha CD-N301 CD player, Focal Aria 905 speakers and Q Acoustics 3070S subwoofer. I'm going to buy a vinyl player when I get enough money and spot a suitable used one. My system has a rather "warm" sound and I think it sounds best when listening to some 1970s rock or jazz recordings.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm

I used to have some high end to midrange stuff...Now I am totally downgraded... a Yahmaha belt drive table with a Shure...a Yahmaha reciever and some vintage Celestion speakers with very harsh metal dome tweeters.

I'd like to get some old AR3 speakers again, those were my favorite, but so power hungry.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Revox CD-Player, Carver Preamp, Phase Linear Power amp, Energy speakers (from Canada)... Everything quite old. The Phase Linear 700B is form the seventies... More than good enough for me.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Dynavector XX2 MC -> VPI SuperScoutMaster Ref -> Art Audio Ref Phono -> Pass INT60 -> Wilson Sabrinas. In the closet I have Cary monoblocks that went into an SLP98 into Focals. I still use a Cambridge Azur 840c for CD. I can't tell the sound between high end and ultra high end CD. For headfi I use Auralic Taurus into Audeze LCD3.
物の哀れ

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm
The sound is flawless at any listening level imaginable. They system is massively linear down to 37 Hz.
I am seriously impressed you built your own kit. Even more impressed you’ve surpassed the efforts (sometimes over decades) of some of the world’s best designers, since I’ve never heard any of them claim their sound was flawless. Might you have perhaps overstated things a bit? :wink:

I am also interested in what a ‘massively linear’ system is, and how you achieved this in room?
I think I've just been insulted via sarcasm. :D Yes, "flawless" is a subjective term in sound reproduction. Are there flaws that you can hear but not I? Then it is flawless to me. Was it a flawless performance? Maybe - but from whose perspective? And of course, if you read Audiophile magazine, everything sucks and it is a judgment of sucking more or less, with typically no mention of "excellence". So yes, my system actually sucks. :D

I made the speakers from plans I modified - mainly the crossovers. I made the amp from my own design, not a "kit". Really, it was not that hard. I just followed the design notes and paid attention to basic things like a single point ground. I made my own braided "Monster" type power cables. Power lines are heavily filtered with a Jensen 60Hz "false" ground device on the cable TV connection. Very clean power.

Linear means linear inside the high and low 3dB points on the frequency response curve. Massive means the knee leading to the 3dB point on the low end starts at 37Hz and has a sharp and rapid drop off. The actual low 3dB point is more like 28 Hz. So no earthquake subwoofer characteristics. But most excellent for the frequencies in music reproduction.

In room set up :: The room itself is very large and open with carpet and cloth covered furniture. Curtains are all directions at a distance. My version of the D3's have rear facing Venturi ports aimed into a corner with curtains behind them. Cab stuffing is carefully attended to for near zero internal reflections - linearity maximized and phase distortion minimized. They are on stands about 14" off the floor and face straight forward so floor reflections are minimized. Midrange reflections are minimized via face width.

I could go on and on. But I'm sure you're right and I've been kidding myself that my system sounds excellent. :D

Go in peace! Hug your kids! Happy New Year !
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Andrew

I am sure it sounds fine and I admire your ability (and effort/time) to do this. I was merely trying to point out it’s unlikely to be flawless (ie perfect). I am not aware of anybody who has ever made that claim before. I’ll take it that your enthusiasm intervened in your word choice!

All the best to you as well
Peter

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 pm

I have a fairly high end system:

DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP tube integrated amp
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge
Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage
Audeze LCD-XC headphones
Oppo 105 Blu-ray player
Nordost, Audio Analysis interconnects; Kimber Kable speaker cables
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

a human

Post by a human » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 am

When we moved, we gave up all the hi fi equipment and most of the vinyl. Now we rely on streaming just about anything we can think of through Alexa and a prime music membership. So easy and our ears are too old to tell the difference. We still have lots of CDs to unload. It was a freeing experience.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 am

Up until recently I had a vintage Thorens TD124 with Rega arm, Goldring cartridge going through a home cooked EL84 pp amp and a pair of Audax home cooked speakers. I've been through many bits of hi fi gear over the years, the endless quest. Don't forget to listen to the music as they say.
Historicalguitars.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

Frankly, when I play mp3s of the highest sampling rate through my R-Dock (Arcam iPod dock), I can't tell the difference between them and CDs.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 pm

I have used Naim amps for 40 years, and was a Linn/Naim junkie for many of those (using LP12/Lingo-Armageddon /Ittok - ARO/ various cartridges and Naim CDPs ending up with a CDS). Wound up with Shahinian Arcs/ Obelisks for decades after lots of Linn speakers (and awful Naim SBLs).

Very recently I got rid of all this for a pair of Kii3 speakers and I have never been happier.

Seriously, this is where home hi-fi is heading: All-in-one active solutions that can be streamed to (I use lossless of course). Witness the Kef LS50 wireless that has sold in bucketloads.

The DSP + cardioid response on the Kiis effectively removes the room from the equation. Their detail, space and dynamic portrayal are forensic. Given that they contain a pre and power amp + DAC, they are almost good value for money!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

物の哀れ

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Over the years since the sixties, have not had budget for high end. At university it was a simple AR table, integrated amp, and spkrs. As time went by, I collected various components and organize them in different ways in different rooms around the house. Except for the original AR set up, I have always bought preowned equipment. I listen mostly to Early music, chamber, jazz and blues, cg-acoustic guitar and am not really into orchestral or operas.

Right now I am redoing a small room for just cg/acoustic guitar listening and practice. I queried on another thread about speakers for this specific use in a small room and not for orchestral, jazz, chamber. I will be using a set of small Rega speakers, McIntosh 5100 solid state integrated, Rega Apollo cd player for this little room.

Other equipment around the house includes Bryston 4B amp, Bryston pre, Electrocompaniet amp, PS Audio pre, Perreaux SM2 pre, Revox B760 tuner, Revox 76a tuner, Tandberg 3001a tuner, Revox 215B cassette deck, Thorens 320 td turntable/Ortophon, Rega Apollo CD player, Teac VRDS 20 cd player, original Snell1a spkrs, Mission spkrs. I have a Studer D741 cd recorder and a Sound Devices 702 digital recorder.

I enjoy listeing to music in all formats — vinyl, cd, cassette, FM — and try to get a nice sound from each.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

Return to “The Café”