Oldest Sheet Music?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
CathyCate

Oldest Sheet Music?

Post by CathyCate » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:30 am

Call me sentimental, but today I repaired my copy of the Giuliani 120 for the umpteenth time. It is perhaps the oldest piece of sheet music in my library of CG music, and I cannot part with it. My teacher's notes from 1981 are penciled in. Coffee stains from late night (or maybe early morning?) practice sessions are in evidence. I have bought replacements only to give them away in favor of hanging onto this dog-eared relic. Ahhhh the memories!

What's lurking in your pile of treasured scores?

montana

Re: Oldest Sheet Music?

Post by montana » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 am

I've got something on a stone tablet . I'll have to dig it up...literally ?

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 pm

My "sacred relics" are these:

A well-worn copy of Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing, Vol. 1", and a Ricordi edition of the Carcassi 25 Studies, edited by Guido Margaria. Both date from my high school studies in the 1970s. Both have lots of fingerings and lesson commentaries penciled in by my first CG teacher, Tom Runyan in Los Angeles. Tom is the one who introduced me to the 10-string, and the Carcassi in particular has several places where he changed things to make use of the additional basses.

Close runners-up in significance are Noad's books "The Renaissance Guitar" and "The Baroque Guitar", both received as gifts for my 18th birthday. These likewise have lots of markings in them. The "Renaissance" book is physically in terrible shape, it is held together with tape. I re-fingered many of the pieces for lute tuning, going back to the lute tabs while I was at University and changing things to reflect the original 3/F# tuning. Years later I gained a better appreciation for how skillful an editor Noad really was, the changes he made didn't really impact the overall impact or shape of the pieces. (SIDEBAR: I also have the "Classical" and "Romantic" books which complete the Noad anthology series, but neither one of those books ever got the degree of attention that the first two got from me.)

Fifth and last of the "sacred books" would be the Belwin-Mills "Complete Works of Barrios, Vol. 1" published in 1976 and edited by Richard Stover. This was Volume 1 of a four-volume series, later supplanted by the much bigger two-volume Stover edition. This particular copy is full of markings from my years of study with Stover directly, corrections of errors and jotted comments based on then-newly found manuscripts (which later went into the bigger set).
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

bert

Post by bert » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm

My granddad's collections.Luckily he was also a bookbinder. I guess the copies are from the 1950s, but could be older.
P1070891_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Literally oldest would be a copy of the Shand Method from 1900 - and published round the corner from where my first guitar was purchased, in Bournemouth.

But my original used-for-years anthology was World's Favorite # 47.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm

bert wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm
My granddad's collections.Luckily he was also a bookbinder. I guess the copies are from the 1950s, but could be older.
Some of those look much older than that!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

My oldest score is probably the Sor/Segovia 20 Studies - dating back to around 1967. The covers are loose but the rest is still fine.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:04 pm

I've got a variety of old greek scores from the first half of the twentieth century, purchased rather than inherited, see nice cover below for Carulli sonatas but also a variety of arrangements, from greek folk songs to greek tango and operetta and italian opera.
carulli3sonata.jpg
Likewise a couple of collections of arrangements by Geoffrey Sisley, those look more modern, maybe 50s and later. From my own early guitar education I still have the Carulli method in greek translation from Carmen Lenzi Mozzani's italian version, the Carcassi opus 60 from Gaetano greek editions again, the Carcassi method in a bilingual Schott edition in French and English, along with a collection of George Economides pieces, all with markings from my first teacher :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm

I think my longest owned is Bert Weedon's Play in a Day that I bought in 1974. It's in remarkably good condition for some reason.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I have a collection of music from the 1950's. Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Percy Sledge, Ben E. King, Albert King, BB.....
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Vol. ii of Schirmer's von Bülow edition of Beethoven's piano sonatas. When I was a teenager the cat vomited on it as I remember and all of Op. 111 had to go. Probably should've thrown the whole thing out (ick!) but I salvaged what I could. Also a tattered copy of Tausig's (extravagant) transcription of the Bach d minor Toccata and Fugue. The oldest thing I have is a copy of my very first piano recital piece called "Captain Candy" :lol:

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm

:ouioui: I am enjoying this so much. Keep 'em coming!
It will be interesting to determine what is still in print vs. out of print.
In the age of downloads, I am getting more obsessed with hard copy. I guess it should be just the opposite. Go figure.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:25 pm

I have some of those Noads too, and Segovia scales, Giuliani studies. But my most treasured are some hand written exercises from my teacher in 1980, the late Greg Coleman and his fingerings in an old copy of Villa Lobos.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 pm

I have a Schott edition, with the red thin paper cover, of Carcassi's Six Caprices. My teacher used to date everything, this was my first lesson with a classical guitar teacher, 16 November 1966. I don't think the music was new then and it is in poor condition now. I look back with more affection than I felt at the time.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm
I think my longest owned is Bert Weedon's Play in a Day that I bought in 1974. It's in remarkably good condition for some reason.
Love it! :D

Well...if you could really learn to "play in a day" I suppose the music wasn't exposed to much wear and tear.

Return to “The Café”