Oldest Sheet Music?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
CathyCate

Re: Oldest Sheet Music?

Post by CathyCate » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:45 am

OldPotter wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 pm
I have a Schott edition, with the red thin paper cover, of Carcassi's Six Caprices. My teacher used to date everything, this was my first lesson with a classical guitar teacher, 16 November 1966. I don't think the music was new then and it is in poor condition now. I look back with more affection than I felt at the time.
Teacher's notes and fingerings. I think that is my weak spot!
It is like having a conversation with the (in some cases) dear departed.
If I keep the scores, anyone who has ever been my teacher is still my teacher.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:50 pm

1) Printed sheet music of transcriptions by Vahdah Olcott Bickford, who founded the American Guitar Society in 1924, which is still in existence, meeting monthly, and they have only missed four! monthly meetings in ninety-four years. And that was only for outbreak of world war, Roosevelt's death . . .

I believe these transcriptions were published in the twenties or thirties, and they weren't exactly Three Blind Mice - this was Chopin, Beethoven, etc. Such full and utterly complex transcriptions that you could think of things you would rather be doing than trying to learn them - like having root canal. I donated them many years ago to a music school.

She played with no nails, and was the staunchest and most fervent advocate of and for no nails who ever lived. When she was ninety she wrote an article on the subject that made such a cogent case for it that I almost started searching for some nail clippers. I once posted that very article here, and I would love to read it now, but I can't find it. I discussed this subject with Vahdah many times when I was a member of the AGS, and even in her nineties she extraordinarily articulate.

2) Handwritten flamenco sheet music by my teacher, the great virtuoso Mario Escudero. He wrote out all my lessons in standard notation, in pencil, and forty-five years later I still have about half a dozen or so, and they are not even smudged. Needless to say, I have made photocopies of all.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:50 pm

2) Handwritten flamenco sheet music by my teacher, the great virtuoso Mario Escudero. He wrote out all my lessons in standard notation, in pencil, and forty-five years later I still have about half a dozen or so, and they are not even smudged. Needless to say, I have made photocopies of all.

Ramon
Wow, Ramon, this is truly a great treasure to have! I am learning Ímpetu right now, and looking at the Nana tremolo piece. Would you be willing to scan and post one of these sheets with the hand-written notes, to share?
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:50 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:

Ramon
Wow, Ramon, this is truly a great treasure to have! I am learning Ímpetu right now, and looking at the Nana tremolo piece. Would you be willing to scan and post one of these sheets with the hand-written notes, to share?
I would be happy to, if our moderators will allow it. I can't really see anything wrong with posting say a few sheets of just one palo forty-five years later, but I will leave that up to them.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:50 pm
guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:

Ramon
I would be happy to, if our moderators will allow it. I can't really see anything wrong with posting say a few sheets of just one palo forty-five years later, but I will leave that up to them.

Ramon
Thanks! Yeah, that's why I suggested posting just one handwritten sheet - for inspiration and posterity - in case there are any concerns about copyright.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:56 pm

From OpenCulture.com:

"In the early 1950s, archaeologists unearthed several clay tablets from the 14th century B.C.E.. Found, WFMU tells us, 'in the ancient Syrian city of Ugarit,' these tablets 'contained cuneiform signs in the hurrian language,' which turned out to be the oldest known piece of music ever discovered, a 3,400 year-old cult hymn."

Unfortunately, there was no indication whether the ancient Ugarits had attempted to transcribe the cult hymn for guitar.

razz

Post by razz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm looking at a pretty well worn (more like, near dilapidated) book of guitar transcriptions by Tomas Pomilio, I see plenty of tape, coffee stains and pencil marks. The copyright date is 1976 (the books looks more like an 1876 edition). I purchased it just after graduating from college because I liked his transcription of Bach's Prelude to the first cello suite. I paid $4.00. The book includes an unusual assortment of pieces by Bach, Frank, Granados, Albeniz and Malats.

I also have a copy of "Classical Gas". This copyright date reads 1967 & 1968. I don't remember buying this. It looks like a piano arrangement with a guitar solo. I never learned this. The glossy paper still looks good and no one has marked it. I may have acquired this earlier.

When I was in junior high school, my guitar teacher hand wrote classical style arrangements of current popular pieces. I probably still have the notebook. His arrangement of "Love is Blue" used to bring applause when I played it. I will have to remember to look for it, this winter, while I'm cleaning out the basement.

Return to “The Café”