Making Curry Powder - Advice Please

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Malcolm

Making Curry Powder - Advice Please

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:00 am

The ready made curry powder available in the local supermarkets certainly adds heat but I doubt it adds very much flavour.

Therefore, I would like to make a traditional curry powder using various spices etc. I'm sure there are plenty of you who can help with the spices to use and their proportions, and the quantity to use in a curry dish (I like it quite hot but not fiery).

Thanks in anticipation,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

hpaulj

Re: Making Curry Powder - Advice Please

Post by hpaulj » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 am

I was just discussing curry powder on a Chowhound thread.

Here's a nice summary of what storebought powders are like - https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... ng-article

But keep in mind that this is a USA publication. What can you find in AU will be different, as might be your expectations.

In India they use many different spice mixes in their stews. 'curry powder' started as a generic mix that allowed colonial agents take a taste of India back home. DIshes like Country Captain became popular in the USA by the mid 19c as well. 'curry' also spread to other colonies, to SE Asia, to China and Japan, as well as the West Indies.

Indian groceries in the USA sell many different mixes from India, many with regional names. That way people in one region can copy dishes from another.

The full process to making your own mix requires buying the whole spices, toasting them, grinding, sifting, etc.
Last edited by hpaulj on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:51 am

My basic curry mix for two people is:

1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder

I usually use a couple of teaspoons of ginger paste but if you want curry powder to add to other dishes, add a teaspoon of ground ginger. The amount of chilli depends on personal taste.

There are, of course, infinite variations using other spices. Commercial curry powder often contains fenugreek which I dislike intensely.

If you would like my recipes for south Indian dishes send me a PM.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 pm

DerekB wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:51 am

1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
I put more chilli in mine as I like my curries hot, and routinely add ginger and cardamom seeds to the mix.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Better still, even if using ground cumin etc, use fresh (or ex-frozen) or dried actual chillies - I find this makes the biggest difference. Green ones can be used whole or cut up big, red ones, unless you like to live dangerously, cut up very small.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:39 pm

The OP did ask how to prepare curry powder and I was trying to keep it simple.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm

DerekB wrote:

1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric

I usually use a couple of teaspoons of ginger paste but if you want curry powder to add to other dishes, add a teaspoon of ground ginger. The amount of chilli depends on personal taste.

There are, of course, infinite variations using other spices. Commercial curry powder often contains fenugreek which I dislike intensely.

Thanks for sharing. I love curry and always add to the commercial blends. I’m going to try yours.
Hauser III 2014!

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:35 am

I recommend an alternative to making a powder, and trying to make a curry from scratch; for example if you get the (freshest possible) seeds to simmer in oil and or ghee to impart the flavor to your recipe.

Any combination of Cumin, Coriander and Turmeric would be a good base to combine with fresh chili later and also a savory variation of your choice, such as Pepper seed or Sumac if you want to go fusion maybe.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am

You should have quite a few Indian stores in Brisbane. All their stuff will be much better quality than, and will cost a tenth of the cost of, Schwarz sawdust.

At Amen Corner in Tooting for a while the VB stores had a "buy a bag of cardomom seeds, get 2 free" special offer. Beat that!

I've got whole spices and a granite pestle and mortar, but I tend to buy curry pastes and just add things to them at random. I consider Indian food to be a speciality and I think it makes sense to eat it in restaurants rather than make your own.

Or at least, there's a vast difference between Indian food and Indian restaurant food - I've found it isn't worth the effort of trying to replicate Indian restaurant food. For Indian food buy a book.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 pm

I agree that Indian shops are a much better bet for buying spices. Freshness is all important. That's why I, too, tend to use curry pastes with added chili etc.

On the subject of Indian restaurants it might be worth mentioning the Bundobust chain. They offer Indian Street food and craft beers. Their masala does is excellent and the house beer, Bombay Dazzler, is wonderful. If there is one near you, try it.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Actually, I don't like Rick Stein, BUT.....I do like his Indian DVD. The recipes seem authentic and there's some great scenery.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 pm

DerekB wrote:

1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric

This looks like a good generic "curry" recipe for Western and European palates. My Indian colleagues here make a variety of "curries", both spicy and palate cleanser types - like a yogurt and poppy seed curry. Of course, the "curry" here in the SF Bay Area and in the SW US are very westernized. The chilies here are much much hotter and the cumin more pungent. My Australian relatives were rather shocked by the heat after stating they were quite accustomed to spice. "Chili" here can mean anything from mild poblanos to jalapenos to cayenne to habanero to ghost peppers. The flavors are all a little different and marvelous if you can get past the heat. Choose and adjust quantity accordingly!

You can always resort to mail order if you can't find the pre-made curry you want, or the unprocessed ingredients. Or visit the SF Bay and shop at an Indian grocery store!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Hah, fenugreek is one of my favourites. Mehti gosht rocks!

Return to “The Café”