My South African Stalker?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
David Norton

My South African Stalker?

Post by David Norton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Well, well, well.

It seems I have a personal detractor in South Africa, someone who hides anonymously behind the Dislike Button on YouTube. It's curious: some 2 1/2 years ago I received a scathing unsolicited email from a very well-known (Internet-wise, and not well-known in any positive sense!) South African guitarist who chose to take several pages to lambaste me as a horrible person, a poor player, with a poor choice of repertoire, a poor choice of instruments, poor everything. He went on for pages and pages. The letter greatly disturbed me at the time, then I eventually realized that one man's opinion is simply one man's opinion.

Now, I can't prove it, but it certainly seems odd that my one South African detractor has made a campaign of going to whatever I -- a non-professional player with no claims to virtuosity whatsoever -- post on YT, and immediately hitting the Dislike button. The timing analytics report shows that this person only listens to an average of 7 seconds of each video. It really seems this person has made a campaign of stalking me on YT just to put up cowardly Dislikes.

Believing that this person will be looking on Delcamp to see if anything is written about his/her behaviors, I will simply say this: "GROW UP!"
SouthAfrica.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Paul Janssen

Re: My South African Stalker?

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 pm

That's so sad. I've personally never understood the dislike button on YouTube and have never used it. If I don't like a video I will simply stop it mid way and watch something else. I see no need to make negative or degrading comments especially given that I don't post anything myself on YouTube.

I hope this one person won't deter you from posting future vids.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Sorry to hear that, as you are a great player and person who contributes a lot to our small classical guitar culture,
Ron

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:39 pm

:|

I really don’t understand people who must pick on, bully, stalk others on social media in order to make themselves feel better.
If you can’t say anything nice or at least constructive, don’t listen to the video.

The dislike button is a stupid thing, IMO.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Sorry to read this. These "people" hide behind the anonymity of the net. They would never have the nerve to carry on a conversation face to face, or even to put their actual name out there. Somehow this gives them some sort of satisfaction. Amazing isn't it?
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Sadly, in a nation as large as South Africa, I can't prove 100% conclusively that "my prime suspect", a former Delcamp member, the man who sent me that horrific hyper-critical and insulting email in July 2015, is in fact also responsible for this Dislike nonsense. However the consistent fact is that on both of my YT channels, every CG video with a Dislike has a single South African participant. (Some have more than one Dislike; well that's OK. And honestly there are a few which I've taken down because I decided I "disliked" them as well).

This particular block of five dislikes on five videos all took place on 30 December, despite one of the Disliked videos being nearly 3 years old. It really looks like this second YT channel was just discovered that day by my foe, and the Stalker reflexively chose Dislike for each of the videos in rapid sequence, without listening, just to be a <bleep>.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:07 pm

That's a real shame and pathetic that the South African person does that. You don't deserve that, nobody does.

Interestingly, just the other day I saw two of my videos were dinged with a thumbs down and because of the type of guitar/tuning I was using in the videos I had a hunch it was the same South African person who did it. I had never thought of checking analytics on YT to see where the dings came from until I saw your post. So I just checked and guess what, both videos were dinged from South Africa.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi, David,
Part of life is being able to accept negative criticism and to understand that whatever you do in life, there will always be detractors. So, move on with your life and ignore this gadfly who has made it a personal mission in his life to criticize you. And, remember, when you post on Youtube, you invite comments--both good and bad. The best revenge in life is success. Continue your passion. The most important person to please is yourself . . . if others also are pleased it is an added benefit. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

This is indeed sad David, not least because it suggests the perpetrator of this ridiculous behaviour is suffering from some mental problems - its true, he's entitled to his opinion, but to go on about it for pages, and to stalk like this implies an underlying cause. This is not detraction or everyday preferences, but a disfunctional, obsessive disorder.

It slightly reminds me of a period many years ago now when my one fairly successful video suddenly attracted a huge number of dislikes. The strange thing though was that they were all from the same place - Bangladesh, and that there were more dislikes registering than viewings from that country. So that suggested to me at the time both that there seems to have been some kind of spam-dislike industry, and that the statistics can be fiddled somehow or other.
What I did at the time was temporarily disable the like/dislike function and cautiously re-enabled them after a while. You might try this for a while after the upload? It hasn't happened to me again.
The only explanation at the time was that a competing video owner was paying for this. It doesn't seem that there is the slightest point to anybody taking the time to spam dislikes on an industrial scale like this, as apparently the balance of likes vs dislikes has no bearing on whether or not a video pops as suggested. None of which applies to David's case but I think overall it shows that its a bit of a wilderness and sometimes stupid and bad things get to happen.
I did have a an actual stalker a while ago, a sweet if rather too mature lady kept popping up - fortunately from New Zealand.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

I did have a an actual stalker a while ago, a sweet if rather too mature lady kept popping up - fortunately from New Zealand. Stephen Kenyon

Would a reasonable person assume that the relevant keywords in the above statements are: "rather too mature?" The implication being . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

David,
Don't allow him to rent any space in your head. 7 seconds is not enough time to have an opinion, it's just enough time to mess with somebody.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm

I saw a good quotation by Albert Einstein yesterday that might put it in perspective . " Two things are infinite : Human Stupidity and the Universe but I`m not so sure about the Universe " Your stalker would certainly Dislike that one .

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm

bear wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm
David,
Don't allow him to rent any space in your head. 7 seconds is not enough time to have an opinion, it's just enough time to mess with somebody.
Which is precisely what this bleephole is doing.

As I tend to suspect he is a Delcamp lurker, I launched this thread to "out" his cowardly behaviors.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Disable likes/dislikes and filter comments. YT is obviously geared toward the adolescent demographic anyway.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 pm

David Norton wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm
bear wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm
David,
Which is precisely what this bleephole is doing.

As I tend to suspect he is a Delcamp lurker, I launched this thread to "out" his cowardly behaviors.
I would suspect it's someone you had locked horns with and he came up short. Chances are it was some trivial matter, which is why you can't place the person. Any difference of opinion would be enough for some.
So, can you think of any S.A.'s that you've ****** off? The other thing that occurs to me is that he may not be from South Africa. It wouldn't take much to falsify one's location.

Apparently, I've been edited; starts with a P then an I then a couple of SS.....
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “The Café”