violin

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
User avatar
bear
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

violin

Post by bear » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Blasphemy!!!

I have a 12 year old grand daughter. She was just starting to play violin and was renting one from a music shop. The violin was accidentally destroyed and I would like to purchase one for her.
I know - I should be steering her toward cg but my wife's mother was a concert violinist and ....ya know?
My grand daughter is a beginner and about 5 ft. tall.

Advice from teachers and players would especially be appreciated.
Thank You.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Ramon Amira
Teacher
Posts: 3024
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 am
Location: New York City

Re: violin

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Why not go to a violin forum. Violinist.com

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Rognvald
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: violin

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Bear,
I would contact a violin repair specialist/maker for a reference for an honest used violin vendor. They would be a very good resource. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: violin

Post by joachim33 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I can't spot any blasphemy here. To me it is about music and child development. I can't care less about which instrument, if it is reasonably serious. One of my most influential music teachers once told me, it doesn't matter which instrument you play, in the end to problem is always the same. As a result I took recorder lessons for a long time :wink:

My advise is the same I would give any guitar player who is uncertain: Does your grand-daughter have a tutor in which you trust? I would ask them whether they can advise you.

User avatar
Gorn
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:22 am
Location: São Miguel, Azores

Re: violin

Post by Gorn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm

My first instrument was a violin, too. It helped a lot when starting guitar - music theory, notation, where to find the notes on the guitar in any key...
When buying a new / used one: ask her violin teacher to help/recommend. You should find something for around 500 bucks.

davebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Re: violin

Post by davebones » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm

I went through the process of finding a violin two years ago. A violinist friend of mine had advised me to get a good sounding but not expensive instrument, and a serviceable bow, until I was sure I wanted to stick with it. I had rented a violin for three weeks at that time and knew I was in for the long haul, so I bought a used violin which was on consignment at Elderly Instruments, and a carbon bow from Fiddlershop. Your best help should come from your granddaugter's teacher. You want to avoid what they call violin shaped objects that sell for $100, but you can get a good sounding instrument suitable for a student for $400-$500. You might also check The Bluegrass Shack as they have a lot of used violins and a trial policy that allows returns (thebluegrassshack.com). Just checked Elderly and they have a Wm Lewis and Sons violin for about $550, which will probably keep its value if she needs to sell and get a better instrument as she improves. Happy hunting.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2713
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: violin

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 pm

You can get very cheap and good violin packages on the web. I got mine from amazon for £50.
This demo is fabulous: -

Youtube
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

davebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Re: violin

Post by davebones » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:27 pm

One resource I forgot to mention is Eastman violins. They have a very solid reputation in the student marketplace, and their used violins are well known and recommended by teachers for beginners and intermediates, asly they are a fairly well understood commodity and can be sold easily if the student upgrades.

CathyCate
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan

Re: violin

Post by CathyCate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am

I suggest seeking input from the teacher as well.
My "go to" shop has been SHAR music out of Ann Arbor, MI. They have an online catalog, a wide range of instruments and bows suitable for beginners to experienced players, and a knowledgeable,helpful staff. I think they may do sales "on approval", but you may want to investigate that accidental destruction incident first:wink:
Good Luck to you and your grand daughter.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: violin

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 am

Just curious Bear, how was the violin destroyed? Eastman sounds like a good bet. They make fantastic guitars, including classicals, and make all manner of instruments. Ask the teacher about Eastman. Probably not cheap though. My friend is an Eastman dealer, and some of their items, like mandolins, aren’t cheap. I don’t think he has ever had a violin in his shop though.

User avatar
Hany Hayek
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 am
Location: Cairo - Egypt

Re: violin

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 am

I am also curious to know how the violin was destroyed. A violinist takes very good care of his/ her instrument.
I started violin at 16, and studied for 5 years. I started to play again last year and have been using the Suzuki method lessons on line just to get my intonation back lots of material on YouTube.
I would suggest a used violin. The violin does open up and used old instrument will sound better than a new one. The teacher should help with that. You should get her a 4/4 or 7/8. She has to get a good violin otherwise she will get discouraged quickly. She also should choose the instrument based on how if sounds. Violins have a temperament. Some have good trebles some good bass. Some scream some sing. Each person has his own taste.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: violin

Post by bear » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am
I suggest seeking input from the teacher as well.
My "go to" shop has been SHAR music out of Ann Arbor, MI. They have an online catalog, a wide range of instruments and bows suitable for beginners to experienced players, and a knowledgeable,helpful staff. I think they may do sales "on approval", but you may want to investigate that accidental destruction incident first:wink:
Good Luck to you and your grand daughter.
Hany Hayek wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 am
I am also curious to know how the violin was destroyed. A violinist takes very good care of his/ her instrument.
I started violin at 16, and studied for 5 years. I started to play again last year and have been using the Suzuki method lessons on line just to get my intonation back lots of material on YouTube.
I would suggest a used violin. The violin does open up and used old instrument will sound better than a new one. The teacher should help with that. You should get her a 4/4 or 7/8. She has to get a good violin otherwise she will get discouraged quickly. She also should choose the instrument based on how if sounds. Violins have a temperament. Some have good trebles some good bass. Some scream some sing. Each person has his own taste.
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 am
Just curious Bear, how was the violin destroyed? Eastman sounds like a good bet. They make fantastic guitars, including classicals, and make all manner of instruments. Ask the teacher about Eastman. Probably not cheap though. My friend is an Eastman dealer, and some of their items, like mandolins, aren’t cheap. I don’t think he has ever had a violin in his shop though.
On New years day my daughter's house burned to the ground. She and my twin grand daughters were left standing barefoot in their pajamas in freezing temperatures, watching the firemen attempt to save their home. All was lost, including a pet.
The girls are safe and only suffered frostbite to the bottom of their feet.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

CathyCate
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan

Re: violin

Post by CathyCate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Bear
How sad! We will keep your family in our thoughts and I hope for complete recoveries on all fronts. It is great that you are being proactive in the music department. It may provide comfort and restore, at least in part, a sense of normalcy.
CathyCate

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: violin

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Wow, Bear. That is so terrible. At least your family is safe, that I am glad to hear. What size violin does she play? My friend who owns the music store knows a guy who is a violin dealer, we could put out some feelers and see if there are any used bargains.

User avatar
Hany Hayek
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 am
Location: Cairo - Egypt

Re: violin

Post by Hany Hayek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Your family is safe that's all that matters. Sorry about the pet and the house.
Get her a good old vintage violin, I hope it will comfort her. Just make sure that there are no cracks under the bridge.
Just my though on the classical lessons. I studied with a traditional classical teacher for 4 years, I was 16. I wanted to play the violin badly. At the end of my 4/5 years of violin, I was a grade 5 student and I felt I couldn't play a thing. The Suzuki method although criticized by classical players / teachers, at least gets you playing tunes from day one. Lots of material on youtube as mentioned to play along and adjust intonation.

Return to “The Café”