Locking your classical guitar

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Locking your classical guitar

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

I wonder how many burglars carry drills and bits with them on their home invasions. Maybe! I really don't know. But it's possible that your elaborate system will only alert them to the value of what's inside.

Two burglars were recently diverted from a house near mine. They tend to work an area for a while. I've taken to placing my more valuable guitar under the quilt on my bed; the other guitar is left out. Who knows?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm
I've taken to placing my more valuable guitar under the quilt on my bed; the other guitar is left out. Who knows?
Still my guitar gently sleeps...

Can't expensive items just be insured for peace-of-mind's sake? They're just things, after all.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 am

ddray wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 pm
David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 am
...what's it attached to on the other end?
A pit bull named Spike :lol:
Yes, for sure, or a pair of dobermans ready to attach will detour any would be thieves, guaranteed! :D

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 am
ddray wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 pm
David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 am
...what's it attached to on the other end?
A pit bull named Spike :lol:
Yes, for sure, or a pair of dobermans ready to attach will detour any would be thieves, guaranteed! :D
If you're locking it to keep kids out, why not just use the key that comes with the case. If it's really valuable put it in a standing safe and if you have a fire or break in- it should be fine...I bought a large gun safe and put my guitars along with a small bowl of water and humidity gauge... won't protect you if someone has a gun to your head but then you can always say you're getting old and can't remember the combination..."your guitars, or your life!" " Wait a minute, I'm thinking..."
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Carrillo Grand Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135 '70
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12
Jose Ramirez 125 '10
Hernandes '73
Lake #1 '72

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 am

Perhaps try attaching a photo of each guitar to the outside of each case in addition to purchasing a cheap decoy, flashy electric guitar with more street value than a CG?

During our years in an area with numerous home invasions, amazingly my violin and CGs always survived untouched. They were my treasured possessions, but thieves went for our tvs, cameras and other electronics.

Although, I am not sure what would have happened had we not relocated. Someone had started to post "Cash for your instrument" flyers near our former home. Perhaps we were experiencing the appearance of a higher class of criminal?

If they are not being used by a professional musician, a rider adding valuable musical instruments to the family homeowners or renters insurance coverage may be surprisingly affordable. For many, it could be worth exploring.

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

The cheap decoy is probably my every day guitar :lol: ... unfortunately.

No offense to either Jeffrey. It's easy to poke fun I guess when it isn't your guitar (or your money)...and I do realize that money value aside some things are irreplaceable.

Return to “The Café”