Skype woes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Skype woes

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 am

I do some of my business through video teaching - UK to Dubai. Unfortunately the powers there squashed Facetime long ago - they have now also banned Skype.

Does anyone here know of a workaround?

I've come across an app called BOTIM which apparently works (maybe) on iOS devices - however I use my desktop and would need to take the call through a phone and direct it to this machine. I'd prefer a direct substitute for Facetime or Skype if at all possible.

My go-to tech. guy is away on his annual skiing vacation for a month so really any pointers, however flimsy, would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

prawnheed

Re: Skype woes

Post by prawnheed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am

Try Signal or Zoom.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am

I believe you can video chat through Facebook - Although I haven't tried it.

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 am
... Unfortunately the powers there squashed Facetime long ago - they have now also banned Skype.
If the Dubai gov is who you mean be "the powers there" then maybe a quick look at the gov website would tell you what is allowed - that would be a good starting point.

Edit:

I did a brief search. The local telecoms in Dubai are offering services based "Botim" and "C'me". Another online article suggests that Videolink2 (dot me) in addition and says it is easy to set-up.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for the pointers:
cefyn wrote:I believe you can video chat through Facebook - Although I haven't tried it.
Facebook ... uuugh. I hope not to be forced down that route as really I dislike it. Still, beggars perhaps shouldn't be choosers.
simonm wrote:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote: ... Unfortunately the powers there squashed Facetime long ago - they have now also banned Skype ...
If the Dubai gov is who you mean by "the powers there" then maybe a quick look at the gov website would tell you what is allowed - that would be a good starting point.
I assume so - and also that my clients there are better placed than I to know what is and isn't allowed. They have been trying to call out through various channels with no success.
simonm wrote:Edit: I did a brief search. The local telecoms in Dubai are offering services based "Botim" and "C'me". Another online article suggests that Videolink2 (dot me) in addition and says it is easy to set-up.
BOTIM doesn't work - seems that "they" are just quietly blocking it though at least one person over there is still trying to get it going. Even if they manage to call out there's still a slight problem as it's only available for phone and tablet type devices - I work through my desktop machine (though I may be persuaded to pick up an iPad).
C'me was also blocked as of this morning.

Don't know about Videolink2.me yet. I'll follow that one up.

Oh - and just saw Signal and Zoom - will give them a shot - thanks , any other ideas still welcome.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:17 pm

"Google Hangouts" would work, but perhaps they are limiting google too?

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am

Can't they just log in over a vpn like Mullvad? There is a cost but it's not hugely expensive, and if you try and do anything more techy you risk getting bogged down in configuration issues. Their isp would be able to tell that they were using a vpn but not what they were doing with it. You might lose a bit of quality, but unless it was borderline to begin with I would think you would be OK.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Rasputin wrote:Can't they just log in over a vpn like Mullvad?
One can be imprisoned there for using a VPN.
Rasputin wrote:Their isp would be able to tell that they were using a vpn but not what they were doing with it.
Therein lies the problem.

Strictly speaking long term jail sentences shouldn't result as long as it's not used to commit a crime but - the attendent investigation is not pleasant and nobody wants to deliberately court the possibility of being even temporarily incarcerated whilst proof of innocence is presented.
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Mark,

Goto Meeting might be another option worth exploring.

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm
Rasputin wrote:Can't they just log in over a vpn like Mullvad?
One can be imprisoned there for using a VPN.
Rasputin wrote:Their isp would be able to tell that they were using a vpn but not what they were doing with it.
Therein lies the problem.

Strictly speaking long term jail sentences shouldn't result as long as it's not used to commit a crime but - the attendent investigation is not pleasant and nobody wants to deliberately court the possibility of being even temporarily incarcerated whilst proof of innocense is presented.
You will have the same problem with any other solution. They have banned all VOIP services except for the specific ones allowed by the ISPs. Any workaround is illegal. The question is whether they can get away with it, not whether it is legal or not.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm

RaajShinde wrote:Goto Meeting might be another option worth exploring.
Thanks Raaj - however ...
prawnheed wrote:You will have the same problem with any other solution. They have banned all VOIP services except for the specific ones allowed by the ISPs. Any workaround is illegal. The question is whether they can get away with it, not whether it is legal or not.
... this appears to be the case. Only C'me and BOTIM are sanctioned as far as I can tell and one of those just doesn't work for most of the time - the other isn't yet a solution for something like a music lesson.

Seems that the UAE may be out of my catchment area for the time being.

Return to “The Café”