What music are you listening to right now?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
fingers&thumbs

What music are you listening to right now?

Postby fingers&thumbs » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:23 am

It's always interesting to hear what music others are listening to and you might be inspired to give something try that you might otherwise not have found out about. At present, I'm listening to Perfect Sky by Andrew York, a fantastic album I think. Quite a bit of John Williams, in particular The Guitarist album and also the Neil Cowley Trio (saw them at Brecon Jazz Festival) and some Bill Evans.
How about you guys?

flameproof

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Postby flameproof » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 am

This: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29151&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I've found it most entertaining to trawl around the MP3 sections of the site here -- not all the performances are up to Denian Arcoleo's level, but there are many that are choc-ful with good musical ideas.

I only occasional have a feverish few days playing CD after CD, other than that I might suddenly want to listen to a song or a piece. I have a rack of classical guitar CDs that rarely get played (expecially if they contain a piece I am working on (until that piece has a life of its own in my head)).

Recently played (the cases sit untidily by my machine) stuff includes:
Jacques Brel
Listz's Hungarian Rhapsodies
Morcheeba
Ronald Binge
Bob Dylan

I'd say that list makes me weird.
Last edited by flameproof on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
In cyberspace, no-one can hear you scream...
∃x: x∈{things on the internet}: ~x

owl

Postby owl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:46 am

We already have a thread running here

[broken link removed]

I know it's a fair way down but generally if you do a search you will pull these threads up... there are several of them

BTW... Karin Schaupp's CD 'Dreams'

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Gruupi

Postby Gruupi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:08 pm

I am listening to Owl's Bach Adagio right now... and it's wonderful.

oski79

Postby oski79 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:33 pm

"Treetop Flyer" by Stephen Stills
"Before Elvis, there was nothing." --John Lennon

mrcold

Postby mrcold » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Roger Water's "In the Flesh"

remmus

Postby remmus » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Call me a heretic, but right now I'm listening to some great steel string stuff.

This CD's called, "The Art of Fingerstyle Guitar" featuring Davey Graham, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Dave Evans, Peter Finger, John James and Leo Wijnkamp, Jr. Woo Hooo! I like it!
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

Rainwater

Postby Rainwater » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm listening to "Filomena Moretti". I know it's the artist who makes the guitar sound so beautiful, but Filomena's guitar has the nicest sound of any of the guitarists I listen to. I think her guitar was made by Sacchi, an italian luthier who studied with Bouchet. In some of her songs, her guitar hints at the sound of a harpsichord.

John O

Postby John O » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Michael Tippett's Triple Concerto for Violin, Viola, and Cello. Very intense!

drgoretex

Postby drgoretex » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Nothing now (at work) but on the way in, the Sergio and Odair Assad doing Rameau Couperin, Scarlatti and Bach. I LOVE that album.

Ken

Sean

Postby Sean » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 pm

F. Delius' "Upon Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring"

mrcold

Postby mrcold » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Berg's Wozzeck.
One of my favorite operas. Its fantastic (but you need to see it to really understand.. or at least understand German)

bones

Postby bones » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Krystof Penderecki 'Seven Gates of Jerusalem', like Ligeti survived the 60's to produce a truly modern style that is still audibly related to the European symphonic tradition.

mrcold

Postby mrcold » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:38 pm

bones wrote:Krystof Penderecki 'Seven Gates of Jerusalem', like Ligeti survived the 60's to produce a truly modern style that is still audibly related to the European symphonic tradition.

Ooo! Great choice!

vinm62

Postby vinm62 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am

I've read people's choice of music with interest on this and other threads and will certainly be checking them out. New music (or new to one's self) is always great to listen to and I'm always on the lookout for suggestions for new inspiration. However, and this is probably at a bit of a tangent to the thread but might be appropriate, I'm interested to hear what forum users might consider 'essential' recordings that all CG players should listen to at least once. For example, I've drawn a lot of inspiration and a deeper love of the classical guitar repertoire from:

John Williams - Spanish Guitar Music, Bach Lute Suites and El Diablo Suelta
Nicholas Goluses' recordings of Fernando Sor
Christopher Parkening's Tribute To Segovia
The Deutsche Gramaphone 2 CD Segovia Collection

Any other suggestions to fill the rather large gaps in my knowledge of the CG catalogue would be greatly appreciated!

Vin

P.S. Summer - The steel string players you mentioned are all fantastic and all opened my eyes to the potential of fingerstyle guitar, which in turn eventually led to my interest in CG - so I'm not sure it is heresy :D I've seen both Renbourn and Jansch in concert and can unreservedly recommend both as fantastic live artists and consummate musicians

Return to “The Café”