What music are you listening to right now?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Peskyendeavour

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by Peskyendeavour » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Sean Shibeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[his premiere CD just came through the post today. :D :D :D :D :D :D :casque: :casque: :casque: ]

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

Probably not totally consistent with the theme of this site - but what I am currently listening to in my car, (over and over again as my 7 year old daughter seems to like it, and scowls if I turn it off!) - "Black Dog Barking" by Airborne - a rather 'refined' Australian 'pub rock' band, (that's what they seem to refer to themselves as), whose lead singer has a penchant for opening cans of beer with his head. Now back to Andrew York and 'Yamour' ...

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 am

tom3949 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am
Probably not totally consistent with the theme of this site - but what I am currently listening to in my car, (over and over again as my 7 year old daughter seems to like it, and scowls if I turn it off!) - "Black Dog Barking" by Airborne - a rather 'refined' Australian 'pub rock' band, (that's what they seem to refer to themselves as), whose lead singer has a penchant for opening cans of beer with his head. Now back to Andrew York and 'Yamour' ...
I heard Airborne on a couple of Classic Rock magazine free CDs. Tell your daughter she should be listening to AC/DC! IMO - the best band there has been at that type of thing and prob an influence on Airborne.
If she's playing it repeatedly (as young ones tend to do) then I feel for you - your mind's probably melted by now! And the Airborne tracks I've heard weren't particularly good. And I like a lot of Hard Rock etc.
But nothing wrong with mixing it up, especially if it's all guitar music (all the purists tutting when they read this no doubt!). I'm currently listening to Mastodon 'Once more around the sun' in the car and Antigoni Goni - Barrios Mangoré: Guitar Music, Vol. 1 via the laptop at home!!!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:38 am

I heard Airborne on a couple of Classic Rock magazine free CDs. Tell your daughter she should be listening to AC/DC! IMO - the best band there has been at that type of thing and prob an influence on Airborne.
If she's playing it repeatedly (as young ones tend to do) then I feel for you - your mind's probably melted by now! And the Airborne tracks I've heard weren't particularly good. And I like a lot of Hard Rock etc.
But nothing wrong with mixing it up, especially if it's all guitar music (all the purists tutting when they read this no doubt!). I'm currently listening to Mastodon 'Once more around the sun' in the car and Antigoni Goni - Barrios Mangoré: Guitar Music, Vol. 1 via the laptop at home!!!
I don't think there is any doubt that Airbourne were influenced by AC/DC! They are basic and raw - just the way I like it! My daughter's favourite track just happens to be "Thunderstruck". If that comes on, (or Princess of the night by Saxon), she wants it to be played over and over again. Seven year olds eh!?

It was funny when she first heard Ram Jam on one of my CDs and started singing "Whoh oh Black berry ..."
:D

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 pm

tom3949 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am

....My daughter's favourite track just happens to be "Thunderstruck". If that comes on, (or Princess of the night by Saxon), she wants it to be played over and over again. Seven year olds eh!?
Saxon! Now there's a blast from the past. One of THE bands from the NWOBHM that got me listening to Heavy Metal.
Hearing Never surrender and/or 'And the bands played on' on Top of the Pops (showing my age now) were the catalyst alongside Rainbow.

Sounds like your little one's on the right track ;-)

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Saxon! Now there's a blast from the past. One of THE bands from the NWOBHM that got me listening to Heavy Metal.
Hearing Never surrender and/or 'And the bands played on' on Top of the Pops (showing my age now) were the catalyst alongside Rainbow.

Yep I remember 'new' bands like Iron Maiden and Def Leppard coming along to jump on the wagon with Sabbath and Purple etc. Then there are the likes of Mythra, Witchfynde, Tigers of Pan Tang and Diamond Head ... who didn't quite reach the lofty heights. I've got singles by all of these still loitering around somewhere.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:00 pm

tom3949 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:33 pm
Smudger5150 wrote:

Yep I remember 'new' bands like Iron Maiden and Def Leppard coming along to jump on the wagon with Sabbath and Purple etc. Then there are the likes of Mythra, Witchfynde, Tigers of Pan Tang and Diamond Head ... who didn't quite reach the lofty heights. I've got singles by all of these still loitering around somewhere.
This is turning into a NWOBHM tribute thread!! :lol:
I never really heard much of the 'other' bands like Mythra, Witchfynde etc (although I do have some Diamond Head albums). I must have a listen some time to see what I missed.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:

This is turning into a NWOBHM tribute thread!! :lol:
I never really heard much of the 'other' bands like Mythra, Witchfynde etc (although I do have some Diamond Head albums). I must have a listen some time to see what I missed.
Or it could turn into a "What were you doing in 1979" thread. :D

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:34 pm

710YoOBks9L._SL1086_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 am

Gil Scott Heron - Spirits

chinyc

Post by chinyc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Youtube

From "Moana"
Cordoba Custom Artist SP/IN

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 am

Nighthawks - The Lieutenant Is Driving

really fine light-listening funky music, I don't know the exact genre, something fusion of jazz and electronic but all of nighthawks music can be listened while driving, soft and relaxing material. they use trumpet too.

Youtube

playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrkxuy ... gd3ZnX3KP5

doug

Post by doug » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 pm

I have just enjoyed the NC Baroque Orchestra in concert at our church! This has never happened before! The church that my wife and I attend is a small country church.......but the building is probably not what you're picturing in your mind, when you think of a "country church?" The building burned ten years ago, and we replaced it with a $1.1 million building.....without a mortgage! We had an architect design it, and the acoustics are outstanding! One of our members is the director of a nearby church camp.....Camp Caroline.....that is affiliated with our denomination. His sister is a member of the orchestra, and she arranged a week-long retreat for the entire orchestra, at the camp. The camp is about five miles from our church, and the orchestra agreed to do a concert here. We moved the chancel furniture, the choir chairs, the piano, and the bell choir tables, to make room for the orchestra. It was well worth the effort!!! They were outstanding!!! The instruments were either authentic baroque instruments, or replicas.....down to cat gut strings on the violins. They even brought a harpsichord !!! They played some Bach, Vivaldi, and other baroque pieces from composers that I had never heard of. I really enjoyed it !!! :)
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE

chinyc

Post by chinyc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

tosunpasa wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 am
Nighthawks - The Lieutenant Is Driving

really fine light-listening funky music, I don't know the exact genre, something fusion of jazz and electronic but all of nighthawks music can be listened while driving, soft and relaxing material. they use trumpet too.

Youtube

playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTrkxuy ... gd3ZnX3KP5
The genre is called acid jazz.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_jazz
Cordoba Custom Artist SP/IN

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 pm

On the TT--one of the most realistic guitar recordings I have ever heard. Great demo material in addition to great playing and music! (It's long out of print...)

Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Return to “The Café”