What's The Weather at Your Place right Now?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
gregwillow

What's The Weather at Your Place right Now?

Post by gregwillow » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:44 pm

The place where I live Elmwood Park / Chicago right now is about 59 degree,raining ,cloudy,depressing.It is a good time for strong coffee and learning sad song maybe " Raindrops keep falling on my head "
Greetings

Sean

Re: What's The Weather at Your Place right Now?

Post by Sean » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Sunny and 72 for now. We're expecting some strong storms this afternoon. Now, I don't know about where everyone else lives, but there's something that's bugging me. This past Thursday, we had some storms before dawn, another round about 2 PM, and then some really strong storms at about 6 PM. The last round was apparently severe.

I say apparently severe because no human ever spotted a tornado. No human spotted a funnel cloud. However, our severe weather siren went off four times. Those sirens used to go off when severe weather was a reality; a tornado was on the ground.

Nowadays, we have two local television stations that basically use weather to one-up each other concerning their various Doppler and who-knows-what-else radar systems. They both want to be the first to report severe weather as they use the bragging rights in their next promotional commercials.

It seems our sirens no longer need human confirmation, or even the nearest National Weather Service station to declare severe weather; it's now up to a duo of our dueling weathermen. The situation is so pathetic that last year, upon getting out of my car on a nice sunny day, the sirens suddenly screamed because of a storm system in a county well to our east (our weather moves west to east, so this system was well past us - AND NOT EVEN IN OUR VICINITY!!!). I find myself listening to the sirens (which are sounding much more often than in times past) with an increasingly deaf ear.

Aurore

Post by Aurore » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Here in the greater Toronto area, it's about 18 deg C up to 22 today (64-72F), sunny. Finally sort of warming up.

Will be perfect to hang out this afternoon for the outdoor Brazilian Guitar Marathon in Toronto with the Duo Assad and many more ... we'll go for a nice dinner and finish the evening with the Roland Dyens concert. :D

We are having an unusually cool weather this spring and I heard this new word on the weather forecast .... Junuary ... sums it up really well.

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Around here (Seattle) it's been low-to-mid seventies with partly sunny skies. This suits me just fine! Last week we had some hotter weather, and it's very hard to deal with here because we're not used to it, and our houses aren't designed for it.
Sean wrote:our severe weather siren went off four times.
Wow! I never knew there was even such a thing as a weather siren until last year when we were visiting relatives in Chicago. We were at the Arlington Racetrack when a siren went off and I had no idea what it was. It was loud and sounded dangerous indeed! What amazed me was that all of the people at the horse races pretty much ignored the siren and the black menacing clouds that were hanging opressively over the far side of the track and moving closer and closer. And that siren kept on siren-ing! "Shoudn't we... um... get into a bomb shelter or something?" I asked. "But we're watching the races! Nothing's going to happen." They assured me. And they were right. But boy, that siren sure had my heart racing!

gregwillow

Post by gregwillow » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 pm

I have been to Florida 3 times so far but never during the HUGE storm. But my relatives have to struggle with the weather living there.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:50 pm

As Evelyn said, it's been pretty nice here in Seattle. In fact, it's been something like twenty five days since any measurable rain. This is very unusual. However, usually when it goes even ten or so days without the air quality deteriorates noticeably. That hasn't been the case for some odd reason. Oh well, stay tuned. Fourth of July weekend often brings a monsoon...
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

HAZ

Post by HAZ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:46 pm

From morning to this afternoon it was beautiful sunshine, i know your thinking Ireland, sunshine, this guy is having a laugh,but its true then this evening we have just had a very hard down pour with thunder and lightning that has just blown up my wireless broadband box, lucky i had a spare old cabled broadband box.

gregwillow

Post by gregwillow » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:54 pm

What a wonderful world.
different weather,
different continent,
but the same love to hobby classical guitar. Sorry for my poor thinking

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:30 pm

It's been a bit cool and sometimes wet all week in my part of the UK, but today it's been glorious sunshine and 24 degrees :D
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

jbtaylor892

Post by jbtaylor892 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Here in Houston it's 94 F and very very sunny. Reminds me of africa only cooler!

JB

yasuo

Post by yasuo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:15 pm

In southern California, about 40 miles North from Los Angeles, thick clouds in the morning and less clouds in the afternoon.
This weather is the same every day for last several weeks.

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:30 pm

jbtaylor892 wrote:Here in Houston it's 94 F and very very sunny. Reminds me of africa only cooler!

JB
But it's not even summer yet JB . It gives us something hotter to look forward to . I think I'll just stay inside and enjoy the air conditioner . :wink:

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Out here in Western Massachusetts it was sunny and in the seventies all day. NICE. Basking Conditions. A very happy lizard am I! :mrgreen:
But now the clouds are rolling in. I was practicing out on the back deck, serenading the chipmunks (cute little guys) with Carulli's Andantino (en la mineur). A few drops fell on me and the mosquitoes started attacking my left hand. Guess it wasn't moving fast enough! I hate it when they bite you right on the knuckle. :x So now I am inside, reading delcamp!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

jbtaylor892

Post by jbtaylor892 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 pm

GuitaristOrdinate wrote:
jbtaylor892 wrote:Here in Houston it's 94 F and very very sunny. Reminds me of africa only cooler!

JB
But it's not even summer yet JB . It gives us something hotter to look forward to . I think I'll just stay inside and enjoy the air conditioner . :wink:
Oh joy my summer vacation just keeps getting better and better! ;) I think I might join you and stay in the comforts of my air conditioned house!

JB

canoe man

Post by canoe man » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:29 am

Tonight in my garden it varies from clear to partly rabbit, 65 degrees, winds calm, and 83% humidity. This has been one of coolest springs we have had for a long time. The temps will be getting closer to normal later in the week finally.

Return to “The Café”