What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Marshall Dixon

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Marshall Dixon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 am

manythumbed wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 pm
Marshall Dixon wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 am
manythumbed wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:55 am
The Man Who Recorded the World: A Biography of Alan Lomax by John Szwed
I'll have to look into that one. Have you read "the Land Where the Blues Began"?
Nope - but it is on my list for future reading. On a similar subject I very much enjoyed Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues by Elijah Wald when I read it.
Thanks for that mention.

Did you know that you could purchase the recordings of Alan Lomax from the Library of Congress?

But here is something I just discovered searching out the above available online:

http://research.culturalequity.org/home-audio.jsp

BTW - If you purchase Land Where the Blues Began new, it comes with a CD. I bought my copy by mail and the CD was pilfered. Fortunately a friend purchased the book also and made me a copy.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 am

Juval Harari, Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind, brilliant book
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 pm

Juval Harari, Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind, brilliant book
I agree, zup. So far,I've only read it once. (How do we make the time for multiple readings ? grrr)

:cafe:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 pm

"The Wild Inside," by Christine Carbo. My daughter-in-law gave us the book. She knows the author.....they're both Pilates instructors, and live in Whitefish, Montana. The book is about a crime that was committed in Glacier National Park, which is not far from Whitefish. It's interesting because we were in Whitefish this past weekend, visiting our son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter, and we spent Saturday riding bicycles on the "Going to the Sun Road," in the park.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 am

The Shining, by Steven King ... the chief defect of Steven King, was chewing little bits of string ....

That Hideous Strength, by CS Lewis - amazing, at times CS Lewis actually reaches the same intensity of horror as Steven King, but he doesn't sustain it. I think he's scared of what's in him.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:52 pm

The Archimedes Codex, by Reviel Netz and William Noel.

From the back cover:
'This is the true story of the greatest scientific codex extant today: the Archimedes Palimpsest. Over a thousand years old, this codex survived against all odds. It travelled through the crusades and world wars, from east to west and overseas. But only now - thanks to ultra-modern imaging techniques - are its hidden contents finally being brought to light with surprising results that will fundamentally change our undersanding of the history of science.'

The original parchment document had been taken apart, the text scraped off, each sheet cut in half, turned through 90 degrees, folded in half, and new text (prayers) written on the cleaned sheets. This was a common thing to happen, because parchment was expensive.

Netz and Noel have used ultra-violet and x-rays to reconstruct the original text, complete with diagrams. Their book covers the history of the codex, and a detailed explanation of how the original text was painstakingly and slowly recovered. Disbinding the prayer book alone took four years.

The work contains a number of mathematical proofs. Proof 2, for example, concerns finding the area of a parabolic segment. This proof is far too long to include here, and has some unorthodox logical steps. But as I followed the logic, and finally understood what Archimedes had been explaining over two thousand years ago, I jumped out of my armchair shouting 'Wow!'. I can't remember any other book, either fact or fiction, having that effect on me.

There is also a website: http://www.archimedespalimpsest.org

Matti

Post by Matti » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:14 pm

I found Richard Stover's biography of Agustín Barrios Mangore, Six Silver Moonbeams. Probaably the most common read here 😊Mr Stover has done a great job.

amy3000

Post by amy3000 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:17 am

I'm listening to the audiobook The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom. It's pretty good and has a guitar theme. It's the story of Francisco Presto who was born in Villarreal, the same town Francisco Tarrega was born in and you learn about Tarrega. It's narrated by the "spirit of music". It weaves this fictional character into the lives of real musicians. If you can suspend reality, accept that the author is not a guitarist so doesn't always get it right, it's an enjoyable read so far.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Ever since I heard Ben Johnston's string quartets played by the Kepler quartet I've been curious about his thought process, so I've been reading Maximum Clarity, a collection of his writings. It's been interesting. I doubt I'm going to embrace composing microtonal music for myself as I don't have the budget to invest in the kinds of instruments that can play that music, but it's fascinating to read his critique of the problems inherent in Schoenberg's approach--proposing that while it was a good short term/stop-gap way to address the accumulation of clichés in the late Romantic idiom it ultimately exhausted all possibilities in 12-tone equal tempered music and that the alternative path is to revive just intonation and other forms of intonation. I think there are other options available, colloquially known as fusion and that Leo Brouwer's touched on the significance of this response in some of his work. Even so, Johnston's quartets are great, so it's been interesting to read his thought process play out. The lame part is that detailed charts of tempered scales do NOT go over well in, say, a Kindle edition of a book. There's still a case to be made for the old physical book for any kind of extended scholarly work.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Must...stop...watching...telly.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 am

"Stillhouse Lake," by Rachel Caine. It was a free download on Kindle, as a result of my Prime membership. I haven't used the Kindle in a long time......I actually had to look for it for a few minutes, and had to charge the battery.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm
right? There is way too much good stuff on.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm
right? There is way too much good stuff on.
I include DVDs. Last night I watched Anaconda and three episodes of Death in Paradise!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 pm

"Camino Island," by John Grisham.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

doug wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 pm
"Camino Island," by John Grisham.
Just ordered it. Waiting at the post office for me. Hope it is as good as reviews said.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Return to “The Café”