What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:27 pm

I've also started psychopathology of everyday life by notorious freud, its a fun read.
[/quote]

Freud is an excellent writer and this book is quite good, don't you think? His book on jokes makes a fun follow up read.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 pm

tosunpasa, I'm almost done with the five-volume Taruskin set. I saved the first for last. It's dense and enormous as a set but compared to his academic two tome set on Stravinsky it's mercifully written in a much more conversational/informal tone. It will be a lot of work but it's a fascinating set. His summary dismissal of the guitar as basically not really in the literate music tradition would probably annoy more guitarists if they'd read his Oxford History but I took that swift dismissal as more or less proof of a point Matanya Ophee made decades ago about how the musical mainstream of concert music has managed to go along as if the classical guitar's entire body of literature functionally doesn't exist.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:27 pm
I've also started psychopathology of everyday life by notorious freud, its a fun read.
Freud is an excellent writer and this book is quite good, don't you think? His book on jokes makes a fun follow up read.
[/quote]

I'm not there yet but its an enjoyable book. I don't adhere to most of what freud says, his ideas are so presumptuous even though he says they cant be generalized. Its as if his made-up symbolism around dream interpretations and subconscious would apply to most people and ages, but that can never happen. However, I think there is some truth or logic in what he says, that we can see traces in mankind history and literature. Freud is a clever man for sure.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Jeremiah Lawson wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 pm
tosunpasa, I'm almost done with the five-volume Taruskin set. I saved the first for last. It's dense and enormous as a set but compared to his academic two tome set on Stravinsky it's mercifully written in a much more conversational/informal tone. It will be a lot of work but it's a fascinating set. His summary dismissal of the guitar as basically not really in the literate music tradition would probably annoy more guitarists if they'd read his Oxford History but I took that swift dismissal as more or less proof of a point Matanya Ophee made decades ago about how the musical mainstream of concert music has managed to go along as if the classical guitar's entire body of literature functionally doesn't exist.
You are almost done?!!! With five volume?? I've stopped reading every chapter because it was tedious and killing me. And this is only one book. Right now I'm only reading interesting parts like Chopin, Debussy etc. Are there chapters that are really important and I must read?

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 pm

We like to read aloud in our family. Four books at the moment. H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald is about a little girl who's obsessed with hawks. She grows up to adopt and raise a goshawk. I'm reading it to one of my adult kids via skype. We just finished Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell and The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks, which I'm now reading via phone to my other adult kid. My wife is reading Prey by Michael Crichton to me. One of my adult kids is reading a collection of short stories by Louis L'Amour about the American 1800s frontier to me via phone.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Plautus.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 am

The Conference of the Birds or Speech of the Birds by Farid Udin Attar, 1177
Esoteric Isla (Sufism)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Confe ... _the_Birds
alfaalex101 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 11:34 pm
This is going to sound very cliché: The Holy Bible
I love the book of Ecclesiastes and the book of Psalms

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:18 am

"Its as if his made-up symbolism around dream interpretations and subconscious would apply to most people and ages, but that can never happen. "

On the contrary, Freud is very much NOT Jung, with his archetypes that are non-historical. Freud always ties any dream's content to each individual and their particular lived history. This includes the events that took place the day before any dream. Everything is tied to the very actual, real events that occurred in any one individual's life. Of course, some of these events are psychological events that happened during an individual's development from childhood through adolescence to adulthood. Most people transition from infancy to speech, for example; and from pooping their pants to being toilet trained. And from childhood to sexual maturity, etc. These are universal human events "that apply to most people and ages".
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:09 am

I read a little Freud when I was 18, but not enough to boast of.
In the same way that Richard Dawkins' fans put me off him (well, I've seen him interviewed on telly too), I find that people who spout Jung put me off reading him.
I'm not happy with this whole Oedipus thing and the way Freud confused the Greek myth.
The myth is about the father to son bequest and the various outcomes of the botched way it is done (Laertes' attempt at preventing it, the unwitting murder of Laertes, the unwitting marriage of Oedipus to his mother) are punishments.
Or to put it another way, for every man who wants to have sex with his mother, I'll show you 1,000 fathers who are afraid of losing their wives (and/or their lives) to their sons. It's about POV. Freud may or not have been right to posit that a boy's first physical interest is in his mother, but he hijacked the Greeks in the same way that Sartre did with Sisyphus.

Cassandrew.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:26 pm

I think that Freud was using an aspect of the Oedipus story to illustrate a point that he wanted to make. I don't think that he meant to reduce this rich and complex narrative to a single meaning--boys want to sleep with their mothers. Actually, even this part of Freud is misunderstood in the popular imagination. Children have a passionate love affair with their parents. Parents help them to manage overwhelming feelings of anger, frustration, need, shame, etc. that are most powerfully directed at them. And then all of this gets left behind as children become autonomous adults. The Oedipus complex (who knows if it exists) is far, far less racy than it's made out to be. Freud made things worse by emphasizing sexuality overmuch, I think.

Yeah, Dawkins has an ax to grind too. Not very well.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ColtBrennan9

Post by ColtBrennan9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I just started to read the first book in the game of thrones series :D

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
Vito, I read that book a while back. Quite a saga but I enjoyed it. I do think that Franzen is

a very good writer.
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Daniel Penalva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Daniel Penalva » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Discovering more about brazillian music in Mario de Andrade dictionary, now reading 'Maxixe' entry.
dicionario.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 am

"Naked Prey," by John Sandford.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE

Return to “The Café”