What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Andrew Fryer

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins because the person I borrowed it from 2 years ago is coming to our house in a fortnight and I'd like to give it back to her.
As someone who was brought up Christian, has turned 'kind of' agnostic in the sense that I don't know if there is a diety or dieties etc, I do get the sense that there must be something beyond our existence, or rather, there is so much we don't know.
And from reading the preface, it seems like I'm the sort of person the Mr Dawkins ridicules alongside those who do believe in God. So should be a fun read!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 pm

Tom Clancy. Under Fire.

I have read every Jack Ryan book up to this one. I guess I’m not stopping just because Mr Clancy passed. If someone keeps writing them I’m going to keep reading them. :)
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Ron Chernow's brilliant biography about Ulysses Grant.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm
Philip Pullman "The Book of Dust"

KP
I just ripped through that. His Dark Materials is one of my favorites of the genre. This was good, but didn't quite grab me as much. Any idea when future books are due?
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Halfway through Sleeping Beauties, a collaboration between Stephen King and his son Owen.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:21 am

I had to put The Witches down after reading a couple of hundred pages. It was way too boring and repetitive. So now I'm reading Hero of the Empire, subtitled "The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill." The author is Candice Millard. I've already read her other two books, and this one is just as well written.
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

doug

Post by doug » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:29 am

“The Black Echo,” by Michael Connelly.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I picked up a secondhand "cook-book". "De re cibaria" ( "Menorcan cuisine, pastries and desserts") by Pedro Ballester. First published 1923. It is more an intriguing social history as far as I am concerned. In fact it may even have been intended more as a "folklore" volume when it was written. I am not sure if the author's intention was to publish in Spanish or Catalan/Menorquin. It jumps back and forth but offers a glossary of catalan terms at the back translated/explained in Spanish.

One very intriguing feature is the bibliography of cook books used by the author. The publication dates range from 1742 to 1916. The book from 1742 was a 2nd edition of "Le cuisine moderne".

The receipes would scarcely be recognizable as such by inexperienced cooks as the assumption is you know what you are doing. The "receipe" for Mayonnaise (the word comes from Mahon, the capital of Menorca) is in the form of a poem in french. There is a receipe for hedgehog in tomato sauce which starts off explaining the best way to kill the creature. He suggests that many people would find hedgehog "repugnant" and says it tastes like a very tender suckling pig.

To say I am "reading" it is a bit of an exaggeration but I am picking my way though it to see what I can understand.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am

Great read, Simon. Does the book have the recpipe Escabeche? It's not Catalan, but more general Mediterranean/South-American fish dish. Wonderful, I tried it several times and it was delicious. Comparable with well-known German Brathering.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am
Great read, Simon. Does the book have the recpipe Escabeche? It's not Catalan, but more general Mediterranean/South-American fish dish. Wonderful, I tried it several times and it was delicious. Comparable with well-known German Brathering.
Hi Michael,
If you can find a copy of ‘The Pat Conroy Cookbook’ you’ll get a taste of his writing plus some very good recipes. There is a recipe for Roquefort Dressing on Page 93 that can be used on a ‘wedge’ salad, made with a 1/3 iceberg lettuce head and adorned with cherry tomatoes, red onions, crisp bacon, blue cheese crumbles and the Roquefort dressing. Add liberal amounts of freshly ground black pepper. I sometimes have a wedge salad as a substitute for a second course.
Cheers,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Jack. I am happy to get news from Virginia. I hope you are doing well. Actually I am adding some interesting books to my cookbook collection these days. I am in regular contact with Andrea Tacchi about cooking topics. He is a great expert of Tuscan food and two times a week I get photos of the succulant meals he prepares in the kitchen of his workshop. So I followed his advice and bought an old standard book, written by Paolo Petroni, The complete book of Florentine cooking. It's a kind of MUST read for Italian food lovers. I will check Pat Conroy as well. I remember your addiction for high class salads...Another book that recently got excellent reviews is: Nosrat Samin, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat - Mastering the elements of cooking. It should arrive any day.

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Close to the Machine by Ellen Ullman

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Hi Jack. I am happy to get news from Virginia. I hope you are doing well. Actually I am adding some interesting books to my cookbook collection these days. I am in regular contact with Andrea Tacchi about cooking topics. He is a great expert of Tuscan food and two times a week I get photos of the succulant meals he prepares in the kitchen of his workshop. So I followed his advice and bought an old standard book, written by Paolo Petroni, The complete book of Florentine cooking. It's a kind of MUST read for Italian food lovers. I will check Pat Conroy as well. I remember your addiction for high class salads...Another book that recently got excellent reviews is: Nosrat Samin, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat - Mastering the elements of cooking. It should arrive any day.
Michael,

We use the Paolo Petroni book for authentic Florentine cooking and it’s excellent. You’ll find the Pat Conroy cookbook filled with some of his interesting stories and recipes from all over Italy and France plus some excellent Southern cuisine. I’ll look for the Nostrat Samin book.

I’m counting down the days until my shoulder surgery scheduled for Dec 21. This Sunday we’re flying to California and likely in the vicinity of the fires. It may turn into an ‘adventure ‘.

Cheers,
Jack
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Oops, duplicate!!
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “The Café”