What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 am

I am reading through Brian May's Red Special, The Guitar That Rocked Queen and The World. It details how he made his electric guitar from scrap materials without power tools, and about how necessity becomes the mother of invention. It is really interesting to me as I have Brian May replica that was made by a guy that actually took his home made guitar apart and made him an exact replica of it back in 1982 to use as a spare.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Hi Jack. I am happy to get news from Virginia. I hope you are doing well. Actually I am adding some interesting books to my cookbook collection these days. I am in regular contact with Andrea Tacchi about cooking topics. He is a great expert of Tuscan food and two times a week I get photos of the succulant meals he prepares in the kitchen of his workshop. So I followed his advice and bought an old standard book, written by Paolo Petroni, The complete book of Florentine cooking. It's a kind of MUST read for Italian food lovers. I will check Pat Conroy as well. I remember your addiction for high class salads...Another book that recently got excellent reviews is: Nosrat Samin, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat - Mastering the elements of cooking. It should arrive any day.
Michael,

We use the Paolo Petroni book for authentic Florentine cooking and it’s excellent. You’ll find the Pat Conroy cookbook filled with some of his interesting stories and recipes from all over Italy and France plus some excellent Southern cuisine. I’ll look for the Nostrat Samin book.

I’m counting down the days until my shoulder surgery scheduled for Dec 21. This Sunday we’re flying to California and likely in the vicinity of the fires. It may turn into an ‘adventure ‘.

Cheers,
Jack
Got the Samin Nostrat book yesterday evening and slipped through it. A bit disappointing. Much basic stuff, I knew before, but some interesting recipes like low temperature salmon, prepared in the oven with 110 degrees over 50 minutes.

Good luck and fingers crossed for your shoulder!!!
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

doug

Post by doug » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:30 pm

“Certain Prey,” by John Sandford
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

doug

Post by doug » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 am

“The Devil Wins,” by Robert Parker.

jostrat

Post by jostrat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:20 pm

"To Your Scattered Bodies Go" by Philip José Farmer.

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 am

I'm currently reading Marvel Comics six months behind on Marvel Unlimited. It is all one huge soap opera!
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)

Marttiko

Post by Marttiko » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Löytöretkillä Lontoossa (Expeditions in London) by Aino Kallas. She was novelist and married to Oskar Kallas, Estonian ambassador positioned in London in 1920's.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 pm

"Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age" by Modris Eksteins. This has to be one of the most stimulating, thought-provoking books I have ever come across, a real brain-opener.

Flawiler63

Post by Flawiler63 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Re Post by Erik Zurcher » Saturday 18 November 2017, 23:07 pm
The Blackhouse by Peter May, the first book of his Lewis Trilogy. *****
When a brutal murder on the Isle of Lewis bears the hallmarks of a similar slaying in Edinburgh, police detective Fin Macleod is dispatched north to investigate. But since he himself was raised on Lewis, the investigation also represents a journey home and into his past.

Highly recommended!
Utterly agree and don't stop there, go for the whole trilogy. Due to my bad eyesight I listen to audiobooks nowadays, and thank goodness there are unabridged recordings available which, due in particular to Peter Forbes' readings, bring the particular flavour of the Isle of Lewis to life.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Nearing the end of Dracula. Never read it before and, well it's tedious at times and its hard to believe how this book, consisting of letters and diary entries, could have spawned such a legend! No film I've seen comes anywhere close (tho I'd like to see the 1922 film Nosferatu)
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing!
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon M100A Mandolin

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 pm
Nearing the end of Dracula. Never read it before and, well it's tedious at times and its hard to believe how this book, consisting of letters and diary entries, could have spawned such a legend! No film I've seen comes anywhere close (tho I'd like to see the 1922 film Nosferatu)
My understanding is that vampires have ancient folk tale roots in Slavic countries, so Bram Stoker pinched the idea... The Brothers Grimm did likewise with their stories taken or inspired from German folk tales.
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM
1991 Olmsted '37 Hauser
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" Berthold Auerbach

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Mike Steede wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 pm
LarryShone wrote:
My understanding is that vampires have ancient folk tale roots in Slavic countries, so Bram Stoker pinched the idea... The Brothers Grimm did likewise with their stories taken or inspired from German folk tales.
I watched a movie the other night called Shadow of the Vampire (2000) about the making of the 1922 film Nosferatu. The director was told by the estate of Bram Stoker that they are not allowed to film the book. So they just renamed it Nosferatu and went ahead...
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing!
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon M100A Mandolin

Mike Steede

Post by Mike Steede » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:50 pm

LarryShone wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 pm
Mike Steede wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 pm
LarryShone wrote:
I watched a movie the other night called Shadow of the Vampire (2000) about the making of the 1922 film Nosferatu. The director was told by the estate of Bram Stoker that they are not allowed to film the book. So they just renamed it Nosferatu and went ahead...
Nosferatu is in public domain now and on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCT1YUtNOA8
2017 Steve Ganz 'New Moon' BRW/Spruce
2017 Yamaha NCX900FM
1991 Olmsted '37 Hauser
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" Berthold Auerbach

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm

I just finished The Twelve Live of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti. This is one of my favorite genres - the coming of age story. It interweaves the story of a teenage girl growing up and her criminal father's story, before she was born and catching up in time as it goes along. This is one of the finest books I've read, and the writing is spectacular. “He left the table and followed, as if she were a magnet drawing him away from his better judgement”
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

doug

Post by doug » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:05 am

“Extreme Prey,” by John Sandford.

Return to “The Café”