Terada Guitar Fan Club

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
marmeduke

Re: Terada Guitar Fan Club

Post by marmeduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:29 am

Here's some photos of my guitar which I believe is a Terada. As stated, any info is appreciated. The signature probably is H. Yokoya.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:50 am

Please upload the label image :shock:

Whooper

marmeduke

Post by marmeduke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 am

There is no label. There is a sig, H. Yokoya on a cross brace and a serial number on the heel block. Nothing else. Oh, the headstock is beautifully carved.

Dan King

Post by Dan King » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Whooper-san,
Thank you for your prompt response. This instrument is a little older than I originally thought! I like how it sounds and look forward to (re)learning how to play with it. It is currently strung with extra-high tension D'Aquisto strings; but I think I will restring with a set of "normal" or light strings until I have developed my playing skills and strength a bit. My wife studied classical music, but I will be pursuing a slightly different path with Celtic music; precursor to our Bluegrass genre here.

Thank you again
Dan
Whooper wrote:Hi, Dan-san,

This is a top model in Terada's Wind, Wood, Fire, and Mountain series in 1960'. Your serial number falls on the year of 1961. I had a similar model and had it refurbished in the Terada Nagoya factory. I presented this to my friend. You will find my old postings in this club. Terada no more produces classical models but I still keep a close tie with Terada.

Best regards :wink:
Whooper

ralphed

Re: new member

Post by ralphed » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 pm

I have a Terada TG 309. s/n is S809015 or 075 on the neck block. Signature is M. Terada. It's VERY used. Maple back and sides with just a little figure. I don't know what the soundboard is because it's darker than spruce but doesn't have the reddish or slightly orange cast of cedar that I associate with cedar. Any information would be appreciated.

I have never seen so much crud on a guitar fretboard. I ended up scrubbing it with steel wool and simple green. Then I had to oil it with fret doctor. It looks a lot better now. I cleaned up the tuners and put a set of Pro Arte Low tensions on it today and its pretty sweet.

I have just started playing it. I haven't gotten any buzzes, but the fretboard and first 5 frets are totally used up. This summer, if time and projects allow, I am going to learn to re-fret on a few electrics I have. Then I would like to do this one.

I don't know how to shrink the files so I can't upload any pics yet. (I have windows home premium 7 and I'm a bit of a luddite)

ralphed

marmeduke

Post by marmeduke » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Any help on my Terada Classical??

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am

Hi, marmeduke-san,

I asked my close Terada Sales Manager of this case. He replied "nothing we know of". So probably owner did sign on.

Regards
Whooper

sesto

Post by sesto » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:06 pm

hi whooper-san
could you tell me something about this model?
terada.jpg
:merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi, TG series was probably in 60'. Check the serial number and refer to the directory that I wrote before.

Regards :D
Whooper

sesto

Post by sesto » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

:merci:

Whiteyak1

Post by Whiteyak1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:41 am

OK just an enquiry. Picked up a Terada FW613 yesterday at a general auction. I thought it looked well made though I'd never heard of the brand. The neck is straight and the body looked like spruce and mahogany construction, and what I really noticed was how easy the action was. The frets looked barely worn so all in all I gave it a go and bought it plus a decent guitar stand for £43 uk sterling. The strings were rusted and awful, the pegs a but sad and straight away one of the tuners fell apart so it's not all good news. I've put on new tuners (off a Gibson, Might replace these eventually) and generally cleaned it up and used new pegs and basic Martin 11 Bronze strings.

And guess what, it's brilliant. The sound is mellow and sharp at same time, the action so easy and the sustain is almost Les Paul like. The thing that really catches my attention is the action. Are they all like this or has this been worked on by a luthier. It's almost like an electric it's so easy. My question is this.

Is there anywhere you can find a serial number to date the guitar and roughly how much did they cost when new. It looks well made and of decent materials but ad I said, not a name I'd ever heard of before yesterday. Just curious, I intend to keep it !

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Whiteyak1, welcome to the forum. Could I ask you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Whiteyak1

Post by Whiteyak1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

Couple of pics of the guitar I bought on Wed. Cleaned up and new tuners (which I think look good but may go back to original spec in time) Image[/img]
Image[/img]
[imgImage][/img]
Image[/img]

If I've understood the serial number properly this means this guitar is from 1968, July, and was the 416th guitar of the batch built. I'm guessing it's noting particularly special but it plays really well and that action is superb. Now this next one is a bit special, I wouldn't trade it for a £3k Martin or Taylor it's so good.
Image[/img]
[imgImage][/img]
Image[/img]
Image/img]
Image[/img]

Hope you like the pics. The guitar is 1958 and I I said, the second oldest one known at present. I've had it professionally restored to factory settings and it plays like a dream............but almost too goo, I fine myself slightly reluctant to play it too much. Doesn't make sense I know.

Whiteyak1

Post by Whiteyak1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am

Apologies if I've inadvertently given a link to Photobucket library full of kayaks and bikes. Not sure what happened there as I selected specific images to download. Anyway there should be pics of the guitars in amongst the rest and if anyone wants specific pics I can try again. Alan

Whooper

Post by Whooper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 am

Dear all,

I established this club for old Terada classical models. Terada stopped the production in the late 60'. Since then on they have achieved a high reputation in accoustic and electric guitars. Accoustic fans post from time to time. It is good though, if you wish to know more except classical guitars. Write in my mailbox and I will introduce a proper person in the Terada factory.

Best regards :wink:
Whooper

Return to “The Café”