What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
George Crocket

What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Post by George Crocket » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 am

My recent (last week) purchase of the "Suites del Plata" for guitar by Maximo Diego Pujol ( Editions Orpheé) was inspired by the excellent recordings of parts of the suites posted on the forum by various members.

It got me thinking what other members were buying and why?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Alan Green

Re: What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Post by Alan Green » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 am

"Mel Bay presents The Christmas Book" - carols arranged for acoustic guitar.

Not because I want to play carols, you understand; I'm in concert locally in December and the organisers asked if I'd play something seasonal.

kefka

Post by kefka » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Last piece i purchased: Tropico by Manuel Maria Ponce.

Why?: I have been wanting to learn this piece for years.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Maximo Pujol's "Trilogia del Brujos." I'm an unabashed fan-- My middle name is "Diego" on my FB page, and my cat is named "Maximo."
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

jake39

Post by jake39 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 pm

"Seis Brevidades" by Sergio Assad . I bought it to learn "Feliz" after watching a video of Marc Teicholz playing it on Youtube. He plays it on an 1867 Torres. Wow is he good!

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:26 pm

"Celtic Harp Music of Carolan and others for solo guitar" by Glenn Weiser.
I don't actually like the arrangements so I will put it on the auction site sooner or later. I bought it by mistake :oops: because I got it into my head that it was by Benjamin Verdery.

thendrix

Post by thendrix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm

"Ponce", Urtext Edition by Tilman Hoppstock. The reason why: after watching Marcin Dylla play Sonata Romantica about 50 times and trying to figure out how he could be in this or that position, I finally realized he is, ahem, not playing the same notes as in my Segovia edition.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Having returned to the guitar eighteen months ago after years of neglect, I have a stack of music that is still too difficult for me so I limit myself to the Trinity grade books. At least I know the pieces are not going to be ridiculously beyond my abilities. Currently working on the grade 6 book which is about my limit at present. A lot of the music is very enjoyable, for me at least - my wife must be sick of the way I keep massacring "Don't get around much anymore".
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

bear

Post by bear » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 am

I bought a collection of Italian arias to play for the wonderful Italian lady that married me.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:00 am

4 Estaciones Portenas by Piazzolla. I ordered the edition for solo guitar by Augustin Carlevaro but received a duet edition by another transcriber instead. Still waiting for the right edition to arrive. Interestingly I ordered this version because of a recording by Maximo Diego Pujol of Piazzolla pieces. Maximo's influence again at play!
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:29 am

Fred Noad's Solo Guitar Playing Book 1. I bought it because I'd lost my original copy and found this one in a used book store for only $10 (with a CD)! That's a third of the original price and it's like new. :D

Alan

10ae1203

Post by 10ae1203 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Pumping Nylon. After I saw Scott Tennant play with the LAGQ a couple weeks ago, I figured that would be a sound investment.

Catire

Post by Catire » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

"The Russian Collection", volumes 1 trough 6, from Editions Orphee. They were cheap on e - b a y. Transcribed from the 7 string guitar to 6 string by Matanya Orphee. Tons of really good 19th century music. There are 9 volumes, so I will have to pay retail for the rest. If you're into romantic music, this is really worth looking into. A real breath of fresh air. Very well printed, good layout, with brief bios, notes,etc., lovingly researched. They are reasonably priced, I just happened to get a great deal for the lot.

Here's a link to a series on Russian guitar music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojKutP7MH58
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." - Oscar Wilde

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm

thendrix wrote:"Ponce", Urtext Edition by Tilman Hoppstock. The reason why: after watching Marcin Dylla play Sonata Romantica about 50 times and trying to figure out how he could be in this or that position, I finally realized he is, ahem, not playing the same notes as in my Segovia edition.
Bought the Schott (Segovia) edition after hearing Marcin Dylla play this piece in concert. The only trouble: it's far too difficult for me. Maybe some day...
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Klang Bilder 1 and 2 by Carlo Domeniconi after playing No. 24 from one of the RCM collections.

Return to “The Café”