What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Laudiesdad69

Re: What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 pm

Andrew York's Home. Such a beautiful piece of music. I've only learned the first page so far. Does anybody know what's up with the hat?

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:30 am

mingchao wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:22 am
Vivaldi's RV230 (aka Bach BWV 972) arranged for solo guitar by Tariq Harb. I saw his youtube video for all 3 movements and loved the piece. I was looking for Judicael Perroy's edition of BWV 972 but couldn't find it anywhere.
Perroy hasn't published it. I saw Xavier Jara play it at the GFA in June. I don't know what your playing level is, but his transcription is very demanding, especially the last movement.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 pm
Does anybody know what's up with the hat?
Huh? :desole:

BTW I also love this piece, have worked on it since last winter. Beautiful stuff.

The second last sheet music I bought was "The Black Cockatoo Flying Alone..." by Richard Charlton. Check out Stephanie Jones' performance of it on YouTube.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I think the last guitar scores I got were Nadia Borislova's Butterfly Suite and Bogdanovic's first sonata. I like both of those pieces and the Borislova score is fun and one of a few memorable cases where a work for classical guitar calls for slide techniques.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:40 pm

"Plainte" by Marco Pereira. I heard a rendition by Goran Krivokapic on a Freidrich at Siccas, (look on Youtube) and liked it so much. Great piece and a wonderful interpretation...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm

I just bought the Daily Ukulele for Baritone - Leap Year Edition. This book is listed as "sheet music" so I felt free to post about it here. :D

As you might expect, it has 366 songs. There are many songs that my older siblings listened to in the days of Motown (50s). There are songs by British bands and good ole' American rock 'n roll from the heyday of boy bands and electric guitar (60s - 80's). Some classic ukulele songs like Tiptoe Through the Tulips and many Hawaiian standards. Some songs are from horrifyingly outdated eras (40s) such that I'm surprised the political correctness police did not censor them. It does lack Christmas songs. But it has a comb binding which makes it easy to sit on the music stand!

It is a great "fake book" with the chord charts and melody lines with lyrics. Some of the listed chords are not quite correct - but then, the editors tried to make it easy for casual ukulele players. As for the chord voicings, there are a lot of 1st and 2nd inversions, as you might expect, due to the lack of the bass strings. So you just have to be careful not to overdrive the bass notes as they will often be the 3rd or 5th.

Overall, I like the book very much. I will probably buy the previous version of the "Daily Ukulele" even though it has only 365 songs!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Yenne Lee's arrangement of, "The Water is Wide." I saw a video of her on the GSI website, and went to her webpage.....had not been on it before.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C
2015 GV Rubio Estudio 640 SP/PE

andries veldhuis

Post by andries veldhuis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 pm

Erik Visser: 13 guitar solo's, for the nice Irish melodies (Princess Royale),

Andries

doug

Post by doug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

"How Can I Know" by Per-Olov Kindgren
He describes it on his webpage as, "a love song without words."
It's a level 2 (1 is easiest.....5 is most advanced), composed in the key of C.

TKO

Post by TKO » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am

John Cage's 4'33" Centennial edition, which has 3 version of the score (Proportional Notation, Calligraphic Tacet and David Tudor Reconstruction of the original 1952 Manuscript).

...for those of you who know what the piece is, this might seem like a joke but I assure you it's not. I wanted to buy it to remind myself that in music the only limits are the ones we impose on ourselves. I prefer to play the guitar, but keeping my ears open and curious is important because music is everywhere.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 am

TKO wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am
John Cage's 4'33" Centennial edition, which has 3 version of the score (Proportional Notation, Calligraphic Tacet and David Tudor Reconstruction of the original 1952 Manuscript).

...for those of you who know what the piece is, this might seem like a joke but I assure you it's not. I wanted to buy it to remind myself that in music the only limits are the ones we impose on ourselves. I prefer to play the guitar, but keeping my ears open and curious is important because music is everywhere.
Yes. I have seen some of his manuscripts. :?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

TKO wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 am

I hope you paid for that with a blank cheque...

doug

Post by doug » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:32 pm

Per-Olov Kindgren's arrangement of Gustav Holst's, "Jupiter." "Jupiter" is the 4th movement of a 7-movement orchestral suite, "The Planets Op 32." Each movement is named for a planet. This arrangement is only the main theme. It's in D Major and Drop-D tuning.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:58 pm

a couple of sonatas by Atanas Ourkouzounov (which I'm waiting to get in the mail) because I admire his work. I'm meaning to get to the two newer Bogdanovic sonatas, too.

Juan M Silva
Student of the online lessons

Post by Juan M Silva » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Mauro Giuliani's 120 Right Hand Studies (FJH Edition). Yes I have the PDFs from multiple sources, and yes I could have printed. But there is something very beautiful about this edition, the size, the print quality, the choice of paper. Lovely little booklet.

Return to “The Café”