Printer recommendations

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Printer recommendations

Post by simonm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:25 pm

We are long time users of Epson ink-jets and have mostly been very happy with them. However, our last and most expensive Epson (PX820fwd all-in-one) has been a right royal pain for sometime. It consumes ink at an incredible rate. It seems to clean the heads endlessly. Now it is warning that the ink pads (?) coming to the end of their service life (edit). I don't recall exactly how long we have it - maybe two years. That strikes me as being absolutely ridiculous for a printer which isn't heavily used and was supposed to be more that just a basic home machine. I guess we have gone through no more than 10-15 reams of paper since we got it. As a back up we still have a 8-9 year old Epson which isn't quite as heavy on inks and is better behaved with 3rd party inks too.

We want really good quality colour reproduction (Epson for a long time had the edge here) and moderate running costs. We don't want to be totally locked into the manufacturers over-priced supplies. The printer should last for a reasonable while. While I doubt if we will even do a ream of paper a month (500 sheets) in full colour, the printer should certainly be able to handle this realistically.

Any suggestions?

The PX820fwd is very likely our last Epson.

Steve J Rice

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by Steve J Rice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Can't recommend a specific one but the best printer I ever had was a Xerox Postscript colour laser printer. Big, bulky and heavy but superb output. Just my thoughts, go for a laser for quality output. You may need to scour the internet to find a reasonably priced one. But if quality isn't the major issue then there are some excellent inkjets, particulary HP and Lexmark
Steve

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Can you access the Which reports? There is too much information to pass on, it would take a while just to read, never mind sum up.

Tim
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

dng

Post by dng » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

for everyday use not high end photo printing the Brother color laser printer is very good. Go to Brother web site and make your choice. I like the one with wireless printing.
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:15 pm

I will look into the Which reports. May need a subscription but should be no problem.

Regarding lasers. The reason we have used Epson ink jets for so long is that the colour and quality of prints is top class. Way better than anything kind of reasonably priced laser. For general office printing a laser winds hands down but for high quality images ink-jets are better. Dye sublimation printers probably match inkjets but there isn't that much choice.

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Simonm,
Epson printers have a higher quality printing head. Most printers use a lower quality printing head made right into the cartridge.

I just purchased my second Epson. The first one did use a fair amount of ink, but it was a workhorse. Printed a million copies before it died. Last month I went to the Epson store website and purchased an Epson NX430 for $55.00 USD delivered. It was labeled as refurbished, but it looked new to me. The cartridges are all high capacity and last a long time. I think the printer is fantastic. It has a small footprint and a great scanner. Nice working screen too.

I know you were disappointed in your last Epson because of the ink use, but you seem to be happy with the print quality and longevity. I would look at Epson again. :wink:

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Kent wrote:...
I know you were disappointed in your last Epson because of the ink use, but you seem to be happy with the print quality and longevity. I would look at Epson again. :wink:
If it prints ... :( If it has done 2,000 pages I would be surprise and now it wants its pads changed. It spends more time head cleaning than printing.

I might get the Epson 1500W and immediately set it up with a 3rd party continuous ink supply ...

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:52 pm

The secret to keeping Epson printers working right is to not go long periods between printing. Try to print something every day or so. This keeps the nozzles open and reduces any need for head cleaning.

David

Post by David » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 am

I use a Fuji Xerox Docuprint C2120 (colour laser printer) & it receives a belting & has performed flawlessly since we bought it a couple of years ago. It's also a duplexing machine so, it's a large printer (~40 cm x 40 x 40). In general, I've found the Xerox printers to be very good.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 am

simonm wrote:We are long time users of Epson ink-jets and have mostly been very happy with them. However, our last and most expensive Epson (PX820fwd all-in-one) has been a right royal pain for sometime. It consumes ink at an incredible rate. It seems to clean the heads endlessly. Now it is warning that the ink pads (?) coming to the end of their service life (edit). I don't recall exactly how long we have it - maybe two years. That strikes me as being absolutely ridiculous for a printer which isn't heavily used and was supposed to be more that just a basic home machine. I guess we have gone through no more than 10-15 reams of paper since we got it. As a back up we still have a 8-9 year old Epson which isn't quite as heavy on inks and is better behaved with 3rd party inks too.

We want really good quality colour reproduction (Epson for a long time had the edge here) and moderate running costs. We don't want to be totally locked into the manufacturers over-priced supplies. The printer should last for a reasonable while. While I doubt if we will even do a ream of paper a month (500 sheets) in full colour, the printer should certainly be able to handle this realistically.

Any suggestions?

The PX820fwd is very likely our last Epson.
Hi,

I use since ever the older HP inkjet models. It uses the HP 45 and 78 ink cartridges. These are real workhorses and they survive eternally and you can find them anywhere used on e - b a y for a few bucks. I have been using HP 930 for about ten years, also Hp 950 is outstanding. There are other models which work well HP 840 etc. There are plenty of refilled and parallel cartridges for these printers at reasonable prices - I pay about 10 euros for a reconditioned HP 45 cartridge which prints about 1000 sheets of text. I hope this helps.

satrah123

Post by satrah123 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 pm

I store all my sheet music on the iPad. It may be small but it gets the job done for me, at a cost effective method. If you can load the sheet music on a friend device to see what it is like first.

The sheet music can be organised into folders and back up on computer

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 pm

I've been using H-P Laser printers for years, and never had a single problem with them.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:39 am

I've had an Epson 1290 for about a dozen years and for most of that time I've used a bulk inking kit with it, which reduces the ink costs to a small fraction of the cost of purchasing the standard ink cartridges - eg for about $40 I can purchase a replacement set of 125ml ink bottles, which prints about the same number of pages as eight or ten of the normal ink cartridges. Plus if I'm using different colours at different rates, I can replace the bottles individually.

LVR

Post by LVR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:16 am

I went to the ink section, found the cheapest inks (Kodak) and bought the corresponding printer. It is slightly less of a pain in the * than my previous HPs or Brother. Can't speak to Epson; never had one.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:33 pm

I like the Canon printers but the cost of ink replacement turned to be too much.On my last visit to the office suppies stores I found the Epson Model XP-310 that now meets all my printing needs in both black and color ink. I am also please that the replacement are much lower in cost when I order via the Epson webssite in addition to free shipping and receive them within 48 hours via Fed Ex.
The Epson XP-310 cost me under $55.00 and is also WI-FI capable. I did have to figure out how to program it for my own choices but now it is working just fine. Take a look at it.

Return to “The Café”